So whos NOT getting a Hopper due to lack of OTA?

Try to find the 3rd generation HD Tivo on Craiglist for less than $50... you can then get the $9.99 monthly rate without contract.

Better yet.. have it added to a friend's Tivo account with Premier (current generation of receiver) and you would be offered $99 "lifetime" pricing...

Once DISH has the OTA module.. you can turn around and sell your box at profit.. since the regular pricing of Lifetime is $399/$499

You can also use a second account to get the Welcome Pack at $14.99 plus $6 DVR fee for your VIP receiver or 211K receiver with $40 DVR hard drive activation.

Try to find the 3rd generation HD Tivo on Craiglist for less than $50... you can then get the $9.99 monthly rate without contract.

Better yet.. have it added to a friend's Tivo account with Premier (current generation of receiver) and you would be offered $99 "lifetime" pricing...

Once DISH has the OTA module.. you can turn around and sell your box at profit.. since the regular pricing of Lifetime is $399/$499

You can also use a second account to get the Welcome Pack at $14.99 plus $6 DVR fee for your VIP receiver or 211K receiver with $40 DVR hard drive activation.

Actually I did activate my 211k on a second account for just Welcome pack and I did pay the $40.00 fee for dvr software. So I use it just for ota recording. So I was out about $56.00 this month to get programming and dvr software enabled on my 211k. I would go the Tivo route if I thought it would be cheaper.

This is my first post to this forum after lurking around here for awhile:)

I am currently doing some home renovations including a new addition. The work is almost complete, and I will be moving the TV and Dish VIP722 shortly. What I would like to know is if the OTA option on the Hopper will be available soon, say in the next 2 weeks or so. I'd love to be able to upgrade to the Hopper at the same time I move everything, to save me some work. I don't want the Hopper until it supports OTA though. Are there any DISH reps on here with some new info?

It's a custom Dish single tuner USB solution that you can stick in each hopper. There's a picture of it floating around here somewhere. Release was around late summer, but i wouldn't be surprised if it ended up running into Fall.

The way it's looking now you will be able to have one OTA tuner per hopper. :)

What you have seen is not a prototype it's an actual unit off the production line. I am told it is that big because it has a brand new next generation ota tuner that is the most sensitive tuner available. It's because of this tuner it throws off a lot of heat and that is why it is the size it is.

Last edited:
Scott said a rumor he heard was the ota tuner would be released in a month starting with a J. leaves either July or January. We only have little over 2 weeks left in this month, so it looks bad for ota for the rest of the year if that is true.

If it is not released in July (which was the target) then I expect it shortly after.

I am told that The USB modules are ready it is just the software.

I 'm glad to see that they actually exist and they have some to sell.......... Hopefully. Good news on possibly getting one in August if they make the date on the software. Just wish that they also give us manual timers on the ota channels that don't have guide data from DISH. Otherwise it won't help me to be able to record Metv.

I would love to look at a hopper, but I love my OTA and being able to record from the OTA, especially in bad weather.

Well I decided when I got the hopper that I would also keep one of my 211ks and use it just for the welcome pack and ota on a second account. I bought the dvr software and turned it into a dvr. I use it for Metv and other programs on local ota . So it cost me around $16.50 a month & that's with taxes included, but I get to be able to record ota. I don't know why they didn't include ota from the start on the Hopper. For it to be truly a full featured receiver , they should of kept the older applications that people like and use. Especially ota ,since satellite signals drop out everytime it rains hard. Then you can still watch ota while you wait for the signal to come back.

MikeD-C05 said:
Well I decided when I got the hopper that I would also keep one of my 211ks and use it just for the welcome pack and ota on a second account. I bought the dvr software and turned it into a dvr. I use it for Metv and other programs on local ota . So it cost me around $16.50 a month & that's with taxes included, but I get to be able to record ota. I don't know why they didn't include ota from the start on the Hopper. For it to be truly a full featured receiver , they should of kept the older applications that people like and use. Especially ota ,since satellite signals drop out everytime it rains hard. Then you can still watch ota while you wait for the signal to come back.

Because there was enough interest in the Hopper as is to justify not delaying it for six months until that feature was ready to be rolled out.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)