So will Direct HD look like crap?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think that your question is quite vague and open ended (again IMO).

However I have Direct HD and I think it looks beautiful; bright, crisp, and full of detail.
There are a few people on the site that complain about the PQ, frankly I don't see what the fuss is about.

If you are planning on D* HD I think that you'll be pleased.

No, I don't think it looks like crap. There have been times that I've seen evidence of overcompression, particularly on the three movie channels that share one transponder, but it's not all the time, and it's certainly not "crap". In fact, there have been times, even on the movie channels, that I thought the PQ was excellent, despite the low bandwidth those channels receive (and I believe the 3/xponder situation is temporary anyway). The other channels are generally fine. You are coming from Voom, correct? Let us know how you think they compare.

Good, that's all I wanted to know.

Yes, I am coming from Voom, and the HD squabble about who is better, compression rates etc can scare me.

I am not that picky when it comes to HD, though I don't like 'grain' from compression that much.

But if you guys think it's good, I should have no issues with it.
And really look forward to trying the new provider.

thanks again

I am with Darin and LonghornXP. Right now I would say it looks as good as it ever has. HDNet and DiscoveryHD are and heave been excellent over the last month. Voomers will talk about HD Lite (WHile they seem to ignore their own sparklie issues) however, in April 05 when Spaceway 1 goes up these will likely be converted to full 18+Mbps channels, and they are there now.

I think they eliminated some PPV channels to free up some room and I have noticed, you will not be unhappy.

HD Net and Discovery HD Theater are absolutely mindblowing! I think you'll be very happy with the PQ you find on D*. ESPN HD is also quite visually tasty when they are broadcasting in full HD. :)

The HD Pro football games and some of the college games on CH 80 and 81 do not look that great because you can see alot of artifacts in the picture. I have not seen a problem with the CBS primetime shows.

On NBC ch 82-83, the shows look ok but the Tonight show don't look all that great.

I will agree about Discovery and HD NET depending on what they are showing with HD NET always looking great. HD NET movies, look pretty crappy, sometimes that is depending on the film I guess.

Bravo looks pretty good. ESPN HD when they are doing college football looks fantastic.

My 2 cents worth!

Lem52

Status
Please reply by conversation.