So you want to be a tester?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I get PM's all the time from members asking how they can become a beta tester for satellite products, so I am going to post this here to give some insight.

SatelliteGuys is asked from time to time by DISH (and sometimes DIRECTV) for our help testing things. At the moment we have a number of tests going on including some products which have not been released yet. Being able to test things like this is cool but its also a privilege. The satellite companies choose SatelliteGuys members as testers because... well... SatelliteGuys members are good at breaking things... and we are also good at reporting the issues we find.

So the question is how to become a tester...

Well there are a few answers...

1) Sometimes we post threads here that we are seeking testers. It pays to check SatelliteGuys regularly as when we do this the slots fill up quick.

2) Other times there is a new product they don't want mentioned that they need help testing... the satellite companies as me to choose participants... other times THEY choose them.

We both use basically the same way of people people. We look for people who are helpful to other members in solving their issues. We look for those who post often and know the products or service the new product is based off of. And they look for people who post issues with their hardware or service.

In the testing world there is one goal, and that is to make things better for everyone... and because you guys are so good at this we are able to do this!

Now I don't know when our next test may be, but when we have one you will understand how we do things and how you might get selected to be part of one of the testing teams here at SatelliteGuys and you can help us make things better for all! :)

And now you know!

Thanks for being SatelliteGuys members!

I would be interested.
I am that one person who while having some technical savvy, also thinks of others.
In other words....I consider the average user. I put on my 'consumer hat'.
For example. When Dish came out with the guide with no channel numbers, just service logos, I knew this would be a flop. That based on the typical customer for which I installed new equipment. I imagined some middle aged couple trying to figure out where their favorite channels would be located and having a s**t fit. We actually got trouble calls from frustrated customers over this very issue.
Furthermore.. The roll out of that remote with no number buttons. My first reaction to the people that owned the shop from which I worked was "are they kidding?"...
I did not want to install that receiver. Can't remember the receiver number.
And so on.

Reactions: charlesrshell
You're that ONE person? Now that's funny. :oldlaugh
Ahh A misunderstanding. The emphasis is on thinking of others. Meaning the consumer. many in this field unfortunately are just in it for the pay check.
They have either lost the notion of performing customer service or never had it in them in the first place.

Ahh A misunderstanding. The emphasis is on thinking of others. Meaning the consumer. many in this field unfortunately are just in it for the pay check.
They have either lost the notion of performing customer service or never had it in them in the first place.
Im not in it for $$

If you have DISH .. you have at one time or another been a BETA test for DISH.

You can pick 'em out. They're the ones with arrows in their backs.

On edit: Damn autocorrect!

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)