Software Fails to Download: 722k on 72.7

john81

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
North Pole
Hey gang,

Been having a rough time with my brand new/still unactivated 722k. Have a solid signal on 72.7 on both tuners and have been unsuccessful in getting it to accept a software download, so I can go ahead and have this thing ready for activation.

I first get it to do a check switch, and it passes fine. Signal stays locked (strength is about 40) as well on all conus transponders, including the system update TP: 21. I exit the point dish menu, and it immediately takes me to 061: Vital information being downloaded with "Acquiring the Signal", then goes on to say "Searching for Information" and gets stuck there (waited up to 2 hrs), with a blank progress bar, still at "Searching for Information".

I've tried everything, including a straight feed from the 72.7. I've used it through my DPP44 + Separator. Always strong signal, it even lets me watch ch 101 on TV2! Tried a reset system defaults as well. But it FAILS to download new software!! I have no clue what "Searching for Information" it is looking for. I also don't want to have to return this one, because it took me 2 weeks to get, and I know it receives signal perfectly. I hear the problem is Dish's fault with the Eastern Arc having difficulties getting receiver's to take updates. Should I temporarily swing to Western Arc, for example 129? I want to keep 72.7 for the MPEG4 programming in the future and use it with 129. Or anything else I should try with the 722k itself first?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

Just 72.7 at the moment. Will be pointing at 129 prbly tomorrow as well. Currently out of range for 119 at my vacation spot. :)

I wish you or I could verify that somehow. Dish support lady told me 72.7 @ TP 21 should do the job. Do you know which TP at 110 or 61.5 should do it?

they have had issues with 61.5 for a while now but if you repoint to it run check switch and show 61.5 on inputs 1 and 2 then cycle through the transponders and find a strong one then cancel out it should take you back to the acquiring screen than download

Tried both with DPP44 + Separator and direct double feed with no switch/separator. Signal is the same either way, both times passing the check switch.

Lyngsat is telling me 72.7 actually has the activation and eepg feeds on tp 21, and 61.5 just has epg feeds. I will try 110 & 129 tomorrow as they'll produce much more reliable signals in my area than 61.5. Is this a common issue? I mean it acquires the signal, and can't even produce any green in the status bar. I'm leaving it on overnight now, and will see what happens tomorrow.

Last edited:
Okay heres the deal. I have had a brand new 722k last year and a brand new 922 this year. They BOTH need to see 119 sat to take the initial software download. Once they complete the download , you can switch to eastern arc setups .

This has been a problem with these receivers for a while now. I had to install a side sat dish for just 119 to fix this problem for both my 722k and my 922 in May when I got it. I spent hours on the phone with DISH techs and I figured out this was the problem . The tech said: Oh yeah they could be the problem and I thought we fixed that bug last year? So in the middle of the night and by a lantern's light , I flipped my side sat to 119 and plugged it into my configuration. I ran the check switch with the 119 hooked in and the receiver took the software download and I was able to authorize the receiver and get it turned on.

119 did the trick!

Thank-you for all the replies. Re-aimed to 119 and the software downloaded and installed immediately within 10 minutes! Wouldn't have tried that if it wasn't for my fellow Satelliteguys! Thanks again!

Okay heres the deal. I have had a brand new 722k last year and a brand new 922 this year. They BOTH need to see 119 sat to take the initial software download. Once they complete the download , you can switch to eastern arc setups .

This has been a problem with these receivers for a while now. I had to install a side sat dish for just 119 to fix this problem for both my 722k and my 922 in May when I got it. I spent hours on the phone with DISH techs and I figured out this was the problem . The tech said: Oh yeah they could be the problem and I thought we fixed that bug last year? So in the middle of the night and by a lantern's light , I flipped my side sat to 119 and plugged it into my configuration. I ran the check switch with the 119 hooked in and the receiver took the software download and I was able to authorize the receiver and get it turned on.

I Install 722k's all day long and the software update comes in just fine on 61.5. So not sure why you had to go to 119 for the update.. But there is NO update on 72.7 satellite..

I Install 722k's all day long and the software update comes in just fine on 61.5. So not sure why you had to go to 119 for the update.. But there is NO update on 72.7 satellite..

Well in MY experience it will not work unless the 119 sat is there in the matrix to download the initial software. Even the techs at DISH acknowledged this was a bug that they thought that they had fixed last year. I got my 722k early last year before the so called bug was fixed . I discovered this from the tech early last year that this was a glitch in the software- making it default to 119 ,even if there was no 119 in your check switch matrix. I have had eastern arc 1000.4 dish since I installed it August of 2008. Once I installed the 119 in the matrix , the 722k downloaded the initial software and authorized .

The 922 also defaulted to 119 after every check switch I did with eastern arc setup looking for 119. It would not authorize and turn on for use, until I plugged 119 into the check switch. Once done it downloaded the initial software and authorized and downloaded the guide. After wards I could remove the 119 sat from the matrix and it once again worked with just eastern arc sats, just like the 722k did the year before.

So you can doubt it if you want , but it has worked both times I installed a brand new 722k and brand new 922 dvr in two years. And as you saw the thread starter followed my instructions and his 722k downloaded the software as well with the 119 sat in his matrix.

I don't do 922's so I can't say about them. But I have not had any issues with 722k's downloading from the 61.5. And I install them almost every day down here.. That being said, when Eastern ARC first came out, the 722's did have a software glitch that caused them to do funny things during setup due to software already installed untill it got the new software. Those of us that install in Eastern Arc would be in really bad shape if we couldn't get a download on 61.5 and had to put up a 119 dish just for a download.. Not sure why you and Dish think you have to download on 119.. But that just ain't so.. :)

But the original question by the OP was about the 72.7 ... And There is no software download on that satellite..

I've always used a simple 1000.4 and 622/722/k install. Never had to run a 119 wing just for downloads.

Granted, I use 77 tp1 to get downloads.

AS I have said the bug was a problem for the 722ks back in early 2009 when the 722ks FIRST came out. That bug has since been FIXED on the 722ks according to the techs at DISH. IT is still a bug for the 922 as of May. As for the topic starter trying to download off of just 72.7, I didn't catch that. I thought he was trying to download off of an eastern arc dish and couldn't get past the authorize screen which defaults to the 119 sat. This is exactly what I just went through in May when I tried to install my 922 and last year in February when I got my 722k. Both receivers would not take the initial software download off of 61.5 sat either. But as you saw , once he pointed to 119 , just like I did, he got his initial software download and the receiver authorized.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts