Software update for the DVR921?

Mark_AR said:
I didn't know this was an issue, but the advanced tech had me check CHAN 239 WGN and see if I could pause the broadcast.

I could. He said with previous software, the DVR functions would not work on that channel. Weird...

He also stated that the bug of recording 2 OTA channels at once and pressing STOP would terminate BOTH recordings. I rarely record any OTA so I wasn't able to verify that.

Just FYI.
wait since when canwe record 2 ota channels i thought it only had one ota tuner i know it a typo but just making sure

Scott Greczkowski said:
Mine has been acting very weird since the upgrade, now every 20 minutes or so I get a message on my screen that my Smartcard does not have authorization to watch the program, and the picture freezes up for a few seconds with the error message on the screen. THen it starts working again (although it dumps the buffer)

VERY annoying.
maybe its e* getting back at u scott for the firewire story :D

beast37799 said:
maybe its e* getting back at u scott for the firewire story :D
My thoughts exactly. In another thread, his DishPlayer wouldn't let him watch MLB E.I. ;)

beast37799 said:
wait since when canwe record 2 ota channels i thought it only had one ota tuner i know it a typo but just making sure

That is the exact wording that the advanced tech said to me. If he was talking out the wrong side of his headset I do not know. I have never set up an OTA record event, nonetheless two of them at the same time.

I don't see why you cuoldn't record 2 OTA programs as long as they were both SD and not HD.

Damn, they fixed HDCP output. My prerecorded Superbowl will no longer play without a "Your display is not HDCP compatible and DVI has been disabled" error. I guess I gotta go plunk down $300 on a HDCP compatible DVI switch now.

jcd4878 said:
Damn, they fixed HDCP output. My prerecorded Superbowl will no longer play without a "Your display is not HDCP compatible and DVI has been disabled" error. I guess I gotta go plunk down $300 on a HDCP compatible DVI switch now.

Sounds like we may be getting to the true reason the firewire was "removed". HDCP magically is turned on, making the DVI ports pretty worthless for most HDTVs out there (without HDCP support). If wonder if they turned on the downrez of the component ports on your recorded superbowl... Have you tried it through the component to see if your 1080i superbowl is now 480i or 480p?

Got the New Update last night - it crashed today

I am so disappointed in this new update. I looked at my Info page and yes, I was now on L180. I tested out all the things it was supposed to fix (the stretch in 1080i in the right ratio), any remote control buttons that were not working, etc.) and nothing has changed.

What's worse, my wife was watching a show this afternoon and suddenly the screen turned gray, and little white dots, like stars in the night were on the screen. Re-boot again --- for the 500th time.

I am losing all confidence in Echostar, I am sorry to say. Their testing is very sad.

I'm confused

Does the new software update mean that if you're using the component video outputs you can no longer view recorded material in HD? Or is this just an issue about the ability to transfer and archive material in HD?

Thanks for the help.

PDR said:
Does the new software update mean that if you're using the component video outputs you can no longer view recorded material in HD? Or is this just an issue about the ability to transfer and archive material in HD?

Thanks for the help.

The way it is "supposed" to work (according to Dish), is that when they finally turned on HDCP on the DVI, then they would downrez the component ports to 480p if a "protected program" comes across. The only way to view the protected program would be on the DVI (with HDCP) port. If you use the component ports they would be downrez'd. There may not be any protected programs yet so this may not be the case.

Scott has the smartcard thing been fixed for you yet/ I have a customer that is having the same problem and then when I go to the sys info screen it doesn't give the smartcard number.

Wonder if you have found anything out.

Thanks Shawn

My 921 no longer works after the L180 update. At first it was taking 5-10 seconds to change stations. When I rebooted it it stopped working. All I get is a dark screen anymore. Dish to send a new receiver today. All of this is due to the latest update. Mine was working fine until the new software was added. By the way, my receiver is one of the "old" ones that came out in January.

Left home for an hour and when I returned I unplugged the 921 from the wall. When I plugged it back in a few seconds later the 921 rebooted and it now works again, without the problems it had before.

yea - I'm sure Dish replaces a lot of 921s because of software problems. That's why I never bother calling the CSR. Glad you got it going.

I can't wait to see what L1.82 did to eveyones 921 today.

I've had nothing but problems since it downloaded this afternoon. I've had to re-boot 4 times in the last few hours due to system hangs and not responding to remote commands. Once the screen just went black with no sound. All of which required holding the on button and/or pulling the card.

Dish, its not TV - Its an Adventure!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts