software update question?

cableman2

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 19, 2004
:rolleyes: what satellite does the software updates come from,the same as the program guide?..just wondering as i was going to make sure my signal was ok on those satt.and transpdrs.

Most likely you're all set to receive the update. It just hasn't been sent to you yet. When you read about the update going widespread and still don't have it, then there will be something up.

The software updates come via the DISH, not your phone line (all the phone line is for is to report your PPV's and so you can use your caller-ID).
If you want to be sure to get the update, you can either turn your receiver OFF at night so it can be downloaded while you aren't watching, or (as I do), you can go into the menu and turn ON automatic updates. It'll ask you for a time you want the updates... set it for a time you aren't usually watching TV (for example, mine is set for 4:00am).
If you have the updates on, it'll automatically download the new program guide and check for updates - and if you have the 522, it'll do disc-checking for errors.

Hope that helps... just turn it off at night, or turn on updates.

The upgrades are spooled pretty much from every satellite.

But, Dish does not always send the update to every receiver. They tend to roll them out starting with a few receivers then expanding the release as it goes along and no problems seem to develop. If Dish has not released the software to your receiver, there is no way to get it to get the upgrade. It seems that all the receivers usually get the release within about 2 weeks provided it does not cause problems.

Does the receiver need to be turned off to receive an update? Or will the "turn on automatic updates" be enough to get an update even when the receiver is not turned off?

actually, as long as the dish logo is bouncing around on the other one it will still work. At least it's workedfor me.

BFG said:
actually, as long as the dish logo is bouncing around on the other one it will still work. At least it's workedfor me.
That's interesting. I've read posts that say both tuners need to be off. But if you got an update with only one tuner off, then maybe that's just a myth.

maximum said:
That's interesting. I've read posts that say both tuners need to be off. But if you got an update with only one tuner off, then maybe that's just a myth.

The bouncing DISH logo normally means that the tuner is off. TV2, when off, will always show the bouncing logo. Neither tuner has to be off for updates as long as you have updates enabled. At the selected time (default is 3am), the receiver will turn itself off and get the updates.

I never turn off either of my tuners and I always get my updates, I have my options set for automatic updates.

blockisle9 said:
I never turn off either of my tuners and I always get my updates, I have my options set for automatic updates.

Exactly. That's what it's for. If you had to turn off the receivers, that would defeat the entire purpose of automatic updates. That's why the receiver even says that if you don't enable automatic updates, you will only get updates when the receiver is turned off.

If my tuners are on and I'm watching TV, at the time I have my automatic updates enabled, I get a message asking if I want to up date. If I do nothing and leave the message on the screen, after a short time the 522 shuts down on its own and does the updates, reboots and goes into stand by (with the screen saver). So at night when I go to bed and turn off just the TV (Not the tuner) all the above happens while I'm sleeping.

Do you get software updates when one or both tuners are on or do you only get guide updates?

The instructions on the Dish website say that you must "Power the receiver off with the remote for 15 minutes" to download new software updates. What it doesn't specify is whether or not both tuners need to be off. I'm guessing they both need to be off since a software update would affect both tuners.

maximum said:
The instructions on the Dish website say that you must "Power the receiver off with the remote for 15 minutes" to download new software updates. What it doesn't specify is whether or not both tuners need to be off. I'm guessing they both need to be off since a software update would affect both tuners.

That's to force an unscheduled download. When the receiver powers itself down for the guide updates, it will be "off" and will take any software updates that are available. Both of my tuners were on the night I got the update.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts