Software Update Release Notes 10/19/10

L670 just about killed my 722. Nasty and frequent spontaneous reboots and other things that made me think the receiver was going bad.

Happy to report that L671 seemed to cure it!

I think Dish's motto is, "If it's not broke, fix it anyway". I was doing just fine with L629 on my 722, then L670 came and nearly broke the receiver. L671 came Wednesday night (10/27/2010), and am having even more issues. Thursday night, while watching a program, 002 partial signal loss error occurred, with changing the channel fixing it. Last night, I had 3 002's, so I did a hard reboot. After 40 minutes of boot recovery, I unplugged the 722 for about 15 minutes, and the unit finally recovered.
This morning (10/30/2010), after/while the 722 was doing its daily update, it goes into endless boot recovery yet again, so I unplug the unit for 15 minutes to get it back to operational.
I had great hopes for L671, but now I'm looking for L672. :(

Great. I'll be happy if it fixes what 670 & 671 has broken. Since you can't turn off the daily download, I have to DAILY change the update time, so that my 722 won't go into endless boot recovery. As of today, I'm up to 93 involuntary boot recoveries since 670 & 671 arrived.

Weird how software can affect two supposedly identical pieces of hardware differently......but I know it does happen.

Different suppliers, you think?

BTW....I got my 722 on the first day it was offered....so it is surely an early run.

Maybe they do it the way old "Madman Muntz" used to do his TVs......keep taking things out until it quits, then put back in that last thing and it's ready to sell!

Weird how software can affect two supposedly identical pieces of hardware differently......but I know it does happen.

Different suppliers, you think?
I think it was with the 622 that many of us were convinced that different board-level components, of different manufacturing revisions, were a possibility of issues. There were A, B, C, D, E, and F revisions of that receiver at that point. Same s/w version, but different behavior was occurring. The units had different hardware revs though. People on "A" and "B", for example, had NO issues. People on "C", "D", "E", and "F" did though.

Has no one else out there (other than eddie) gotten L672 for the 722. I've had it since early last week, and it's a big clunker. Here are some of the highlights:

1) It takes about 4 to 5 seconds (no exaggeration) for the program guide to appear after pushing the "Guide" button on the remote.
2) The (translucent) information bar at the top of the TV screen remains there permanently unless you push the cancel button. (In past software versions, the info bar would automatically disappear after 5 seconds or so.)
3) My 722 has not updated -- and does not seem willing to update -- my programming guide since 11/24. As such, the guide only runs to 12/02 (Thursday). The on screen message indicates that the program guide is out of date, but it fails whenever it attempts to update it.

Does E* let us hook up multiple EHD drives to a single receiver yet? I tried to hook up two once via two USB ports and it gave me an error message. Would it work if I got a USB hub and only used one connection, or am I wasting my time as the unit will reject looking at more than one external drive?

This is working for me on my 922 currently with a $9.99 USB hub.