RandallA

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
From the Tech. Portal:

02/22/2006: 1100 Software Version L2.63 for ViP 211/DISH 411

Effective Thursday, February 23rd, Engineering plans to spool the FULL PHASE of software version L2.63 for the ViP 211/DISH 411 receiver. This is primarily a non-forced maintenance release available at ALL satellite locations.
At this time L2.63 will be the valid software version for the ViP 211/DISH 411.

I hope it fixes the audio with the digital output.

NR2D said:
Hope it doesn't mess somethng else up!!!:(

Rich Dunklee
NR2D

LOL!

There are 3 problems that I'm aware of for the 211s and 411s:

* The HDMI port
* The digital audio output
* Caller ID showing "out of area" instead of the number.
* Black screen of death, no video and no audio.

Let's see what they fix and what else they break.

Edit: added the black screen of death problem.

Last edited:
RandallA said:
LOL!

There are 3 problems that I'm aware of for the 211s and 411s. The HDMI port, the digital audio output and caller ID showing "out of area" instead of the number. Let's see what they fix and what else they break.

What digital audio problem? I've also never seen anything wrong with my CID info on my 411, is it only from certain sources (cell phones for instance) that it screwing up?

Kirby,

Some receivers have problems, some don't. My 211 doesn't have the HDMI problem but it has the digital optical output and caller ID problems. When someone calls, it just shows "out of area" sometimes. It's possible that it's only from cell phones, I'll keep a closer eye on that. The digital optical output has a delay in the audio. If you turn on the volume on the TV and your A/V receiver you will hear an echo because of the delay.

Again not all the receivers have the same problems but these 3 are the ones that I've read about in different forums.

Oh, I forgot the main problem the "black screen of death". NO audio and no video.

RandallA said:
LOL!

There are 3 problems that I'm aware of for the 211s and 411s. The HDMI port, the digital audio output and caller ID showing "out of area" instead of the number. Let's see what they fix and what else they break.

What about the no video with sound that I've seen twice on the 211. Why is the caller id history cleared out every night (or every time I turn to box 0ff (standby))?
How about the EPG search history? It's also cleared out at night.

Talked to a CSR today and told me they are aware of the software glitch for the dreaded black screen of death with audio. As for me this happens frequently and have been rebooting and unplugging since the first of week of Feb. Mine happens I've noticed while watching OTA channels. They took off $5.00 (receiver fee) for the next two months for the inconvienience. They were also willing to replace receiver but couldn't guarantee this would fix the video problem. Caller ID and HDMI work, seems fine but using component because it looks cleaner.

I hope they fixed the HDMI and digital audio.

Can I initiate the upgrade manualy or it has to start at certain time?

Suppafreak said:
I hope they fixed the HDMI and digital audio.

Can I initiate the upgrade manualy or it has to start at certain time?

Just make sure the receiver is turned off. I've read before that doing a check switch might start downloading the software update. I've never tried it though. Since it's going FULL PHASE you will get it soon.

Well, got L2.63 and I don't know what the heck they fixex or added. The digital audio output delay is still there and the caller ID still shows "Out of Area". Hopefully they fixed the black screens.

Initially I thought audio synch was fixed however on going back to it last night found it was only better not fixed. I can adjust lip synch in a video processor I use. Before the update it waqs impossible to adjust

Got the update. I did not have the lip synch problem nor have HDMI problem as I use component. Black screen has been a problem for 2 weeks. Will wait and see for the black screen cure. I don't worry about the caller ID as I don't answer the phone if I'm in the theatre. If it's important, they will either leave a message or call back. I have to use the phone at work, I refuse the phone at home.

After a few weeks of using my 211, I just had my first Black Screen experience, even with L263. I was watching ESPN2HD and had rain fade breakup, the picture froze and the audio continued normally. I changed to several different channels, but they all came up Black Screen with normal audio. Power off/on did not fix, had to pull the power plug from the wall.

Hammer

I had no HDMI or Optical Audio Problems, but black screen occured numerous times before.

I do not even waste my time powering down, I just pull the plug and let it start over. It still takes from 10 to 30 minutes to find the signal and lownload the guide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)