Software Version 6.16

I am also experiencing audio drop outs. I have a 622 and I received the 616 software Saturday night. I have noticed it on my local CBS station when I have recorded a program. I also noticed that my 612 receiver is dropping audio as well on recorded programs. This is also happening on CBS. I'm a little confused as to what the problem is since it's happening on both of my receivers, but my 622 was not having problems until my software was updated. My 612 just got installed on Thursday, but tonight was the first time I noticed the audio dropping out on it. It seems to happen about every 10-15 minutes on both receivers.

Dropouts for sure

ViP622. Hard reboot. I recorded at least 6 episodes of Star Trek Enterprise on HDNet after version 6.16 was downloaded, and had random audio dropouts *in all episodes*. It's very frustrating. I have never had audio dropouts with Star Trek Enterprise on HDNet before 6.16.

I had recorded Fringe (on Fox) on my 622 last night. When I watched it I had some awful video freezing issues. My video would pixelate and freeze but my audio would continue as normal. At one point, my video pixelated and then froze for about 15 seconds straight but my audio continued as normal. I am getting really tired of this new software (616) as it has completely messed up my tv viewing schedule - I feel like I have to watch everything live now or suffer the consequenses. A few days ago I was experiencing sparatic audio dropouts, but it seems as if this pixealtion/freezing problem has taken over the audio dropout problem. Who should I contact at dish network about this? I don't want to get someone that does not know what they are doing or talking about.

I haven't had problems before, when I had 614. Last night (around 7:30 pm CT), my receiver just went black. Eventually, it restarted and reacquired its signal. I thought it was annoying, but not really a big deal. This morning, it occurred to me that this might have been a result of an update somehow.

So I checked my system info, and low and behold, I now have 616. I am not sure if one has anything to do with the other, but I haven't had a chance to try anything else out. Hopefully that was a one time hiccup. The thing is, I have my receiver set to do updates at 3:30 am CT, so it should not have actually been updating last night while I was watching.

i now get the "aquiring signal screen" and the only way to make it go away is changing the channel and then going back to the channel i was watching. it seems to happen in about 5 minute intervals. now that i said that, it has not done this for about 3 days now. i am going to check my dish to make sure it is still tuned in good, but i never had this with L614.

Have you recorded anything since receiving L616 and checked for audio dropouts?

Just a thought...

Yes, I have now viewed post-update recordings on both of my 722's. Audio dropout problems remain for KMOV-HD and KSDK-HD content during playback. If you skip backward and replay, the position and duration of the dropouts change, suggesting a playback-specific decoding issue. The problem occurs during viewing of both timed recordings and buffered content. Real-time viewing is unaffected.

-OD

I haven't had problems before, when I had 614. Last night (around 7:30 pm CT), my receiver just went black. Eventually, it restarted and reacquired its signal. I thought it was annoying, but not really a big deal. This morning, it occurred to me that this might have been a result of an update somehow.

So I checked my system info, and low and behold, I now have 616. I am not sure if one has anything to do with the other, but I haven't had a chance to try anything else out. Hopefully that was a one time hiccup. The thing is, I have my receiver set to do updates at 3:30 am CT, so it should not have actually been updating last night while I was watching.

With 615, my 622 would self-reboot (black screen, sometimes some quiet screeching noises from the tv speakers and eventually reboot) at least once a day for 3 days. I did a power-off (hard) reset and that cured the self-reboot for a 4-day stretch. Since 616 and a hard reset, it's been extremely stable again.

Evidently though, 616 must not agree with each 622 or 722 hardware version...

"Evidently though, 616 must not agree with each 622 or 722 hardware version..."

I couldn't agree more. Looks like each receiver or hardware version acts differently with each software update. So just because some receivers are fine that doesn't mean that the software update is working just fine. L615 was a disaster for me too.

I now have lost my over the air tuner on my 722. This was after receiving L6.16.
Has anyone else experience this problem. My 622 working just find. I spent
an hour with tech support and they will not admit to a problem with software.

I now have lost my over the air tuner on my 722. This was after receiving L6.16.
Has anyone else experience this problem. My 622 working just find. I spent
an hour with tech support and they will not admit to a problem with software.

Check under your menu
#6 system setup
#8 hdtv set up
change your analog type to off air and you should get your ota tuner back.

Crap. I got updated a couple of days ago from 6.14 to 6.16.
Why can't they just leave it alone and just push out updates to people who ask for them.
I know, I know. Crazy idea.
Well, no doubt there are audio dropouts. Most notable a few seconds of dialog after I hit the skip ahead 30 seconds button.
I also noticed (probably a coincedance) that now with a few movies here and there. On the disply guide, it doesn't show as must of the Name of the show.
For example: Harry potter use to show "Harry Potter: and the order.....". Now it just show's "Harry Potter.....". And of course there is no more information than than in the info screen either. Kind of strange and annoying.
There was a bidgraphy show, and it just read "Biography......".

i now get the "aquiring signal screen" and the only way to make it go away is changing the channel and then going back to the channel i was watching. it seems to happen in about 5 minute intervals. now that i said that, it has not done this for about 3 days now. i am going to check my dish to make sure it is still tuned in good, but i never had this with L614.

I was getting something similar last night. It was showing a screen about the signal and the transponder, but it was doing this on an OTA channel whose signal was out. So I thought it was strange. I post a thread about it on the tech forum. It seemed to throw the whole box off and I started losing guide data and it was doing it on about every channel. I did a Check Switch and everything came back green. Did some test recordings overnight and it seems fine now.

I was watching an old recording tonight directly from the EHD. I was sure it said 45 mins remaining. Then it said 51 mins remaining. And stayed at 51 mins remaining, for several minutes.

So I exited the recording, and re-entered it. Now said 20 mins remaining. Not a biggie, but a bug.

The one that really bothers me is that upon finishing watching a program off the EHD, you don't have the option to delete. You must exit/cancel one more level, and scroll down thru your recordings to find it again, to delete it. If this item happens to have the name "digital service" - among many of that name - you're hosed.

Yep - 6.17, "soon." I doubt it will fix anything annoying me, but it may help with the problems others are having.

I've been having this funny pain on my side recently.

I never had that pain when my 622 had L614.

After I started having the pain, I checked my 622 and ... it said L616.

ViP622 here. Got 6.16 a few days ago. Now I'm having dropouts with HDNet (I didn't have them before with this channel). Watched six episodes of Star Trek Enterprise, and all of them had random dropouts that are not reproducible by rewinding. I had about five audio dropouts per episode (one every eight minutes).
I have never had dropouts with this show or HDNet until now. Based on this initial very bad experience, I'm willing to bet that 6.16 made the dropout problem worse in my case.

I used to have the bad audio dropouts on FOX with recorded shows but now that looks to be fine.

Unfortunately, I am seeing the same issue as you with audio dropouts on other stations every 8 or so minutes as well. I am currently watching ESPN2 HD(Australian Open) and notice it too. I also noticed it while watching football on CBS last weekend.

So, now the audio dropouts, while very brief in comparison to the prior ones, are happening on all stations (though haven't confirmed whether it is just HD).

Oh well.. hopefully the next update will fix this...

Edit: I just did some more timings, and for me it seems like it has been more like every 10 minutes.

Last edited:
No more dropouts after reset routine!

I used to have the bad audio dropouts on FOX with recorded shows but now that looks to be fine.

Unfortunately, I am seeing the same issue as you with audio dropouts on other stations every 8 or so minutes as well. I am currently watching ESPN2 HD(Australian Open) and notice it too. I also noticed it while watching football on CBS last weekend.

So, now the audio dropouts, while very brief in comparison to the prior ones, are happening on all stations (though haven't confirmed whether it is just HD).

Oh well.. hopefully the next update will fix this...

Edit: I just did some more timings, and for me it seems like it has been more like every 10 minutes.

ViP622 here. As I reported before, I was having audio dropouts with HDNet after FW 6.16. I called tech support and they went with me over the reset routine, basically collecting information from all info menus, then doing a sat diagnosis (System Info), then a "Check Switch" reset, then a hard reboot, then dowloading the channel programming guide again. It *appears* that the audio dropouts are gone!!! I watched Star Trek Enterprise yesterday after the procedure and had no dropouts, while the norm was to have at least six during a show.
I hope that the fix is permanent. Had no dropouts at all for 24 hours now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)