Solar Outage it's time!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

walrus1957

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
40 miles west of Omaha
Just wondering if anyone has played around with the solar outage calculator? Happens twice a year, spring and fall!

I have used the Intelsat Solar Outage Calculator in the past to confirm possible objects in the way of a potential dish setup. I often wondered if the solar noise would really cause a satellite signal to drop out in the wash of the suns white noise when the sun aligns with the clark belt twice a year.

Currently we are in the middle of the Spring cycle and I was able to test signals from three satellites today. I choose Kuil TV on 101W becuase it was always a weak signal for me, I also tested Hawazan on 113W SatMex6, and 123W Galaxy 18 for transponder 11.718V becuase it was always weird (bouncing around in quality). Also a few weeks back we had a terrible wind storm that took out the tops of several trees in the yard, and believed my dish alignment changed a few tenths of a degree to the east. I wondered if I could use the solar outage calculator to confirm my dish alignment and it worked!!!

The first satellite I tested was 101W and confirmed the center of the outage time was advanced a few minutes, meaning my dish was indeed aimed 0.1 to 0.2 degrees to far to the east in alignment. I then adjusted the dish 0.1 degree west using motor control and changing my longitude. I then waited and tested 113W and 123W, the outage came right on the calculated scheduled time.

I am using a Coolsat 5000 receiver where the video pixelates around 64% and is gone below 63% quality. I am using a motorized 76cm dish and an invacom qph-031 lnb. I have attached the tables in word that I compiled for each satellite with corresponding times and signal quality. I do not know how the word documents will load to this site so I also converted format in "paint" and attached. could not draw a perfect graph but the red is signal level, where I have the blocks filled yellow is where the video started pixelating. Both 101W Kuil TV and 123W station WNYI losed complete video/audio for several minutes, Hawazan on 113W never droped below the threshold to cause pixelation.

Crazy to see how accurate the "Intelsat Solar Outage Calculator" is!

Attachments

• 101W KUIL TV SIGNAL.jpg
    101W KUIL TV SIGNAL.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 227
  • 113W Hawazan.jpg
    113W Hawazan.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 178
  • 123W Signal.jpg
    123W Signal.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 171
  • Solar outage test chart 101W.doc
    81.5 KB · Views: 234
  • Solar outage test chart 113W.doc
    83 KB · Views: 152
  • Solar outage test chart 123W.doc
    83 KB · Views: 178
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)