Solild State Disks

Read the linked article: those are MLC drives - $3.5/GB at the time it was written, i.e. 6 months ago (from the table).
Even if you are OK with the specs, 20 times more per GB is not exactly affordable in my books.

Depends on your needs.

Extra ruggedness on a lpatop is not a bad thing in my book.

I just ordered a G.Skill Titan 128GB over the weekend to use in my everday laptop (that I'm typing on right now).

I'll probably flip over to it over the weekend.

I flipped over to the SSD tonight and it is quite snappy :)

Much faster boot and shutdown times, and everything seems to open in turbo mode!

Initial impressions positive, but it is also still too soon to tell. I also get another huge jump in speed by updating my SATA chipset driver. Very sweet.

After a really bumpy ride for a year or so, SSDs seem to slowly get where everybody is expecting them to be. A nice summary article can be found here
Little, big, and green: a biography of the solid-state disk - Ars Technica
Hard disks will remain in vogue for slow mass storage, especially on the network. For sheer economy on a capacity basis, nothing can compete, and it will be a long, long time before anything comes along to change this.

Diogen.

The price will drop dramatically as it does with everything else and it will become the standard eventually with advancements in technology.

Yep. This "commodity" might be a relatively long time in the making.

Magnetic bubble memory, anyone?

I have mine running, it really makes it start up and run so much faster (corp pc =all the usual stuff they make us run for security etc)

As part of the upgrade they also made us install pgp as i guess the usual hd password doesnt work the same )

There is a shortness of supply but for me 60gb is plenty. I will probably get one for my boot/os drive for my home desktop as a christmas present to me, use the old hd's for backups and movies, songs etc, though frankly dont use the space i have now.

I think one problem for solid state disks for computers is that the demand for increased space is always increasing and hard drives are the only thing that has been able to keep up with the demand.

SSDs make fine boot drives.
Very much so.
The latest Dell E4200 with a 128GB SSD boots faster than most of the D5xx/6xx took to wake up.

But when you consider that the same $100 buy you a 1TB HDD, it makes you pause...

Diogen.

Very much so.
The latest Dell E4200 with a 128GB SSD boots faster than most of the D5xx/6xx took to wake up.

But when you consider that the same $100 buy you a 1TB HDD, it makes you pause...

Diogen.

True, but what other $100 improvement can you make on a computer that makes this large of a difference? I have both laptops and one desktop with SSD drives now. I can use full hybernate all the time on the laptops without any worries about it taking any time at all for it to resume. It is like using a screen saver.

True, but what other $100 improvement can you make on a computer that makes this large of a difference?
Nothing, really.
And when buying a $2K+ (i.e. E4200) laptop this wouldn't even be a discussion.
But on a netbook replacing a 160GB HDD with a 128GB SSD more than doubles the price (Canadian pricing)...

Diogen.

Some people do not need that much space on their computer while others prefer to store their data on an external hard drive.