some equipment questions

redeye

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
Hi y'all,

I'm new here, but it definitely seems to be the place to get a few questions answered. Basically, what I'm trying to do is upgrade my Mom's existing system to get her some DVR & dual tuner capabilities. I'll start with what she has now:

2 Dish 500 dishes, one with DP Twin LNBFs (for the 119 & 110 birds) and one with a DP(?) dual LNBF (for the 61.5 bird); one cable from each dish feeding each of 2 DP21 switches; the 2 output cables from the DP21s feeding a DP 322 receiver; the DP 322 feeding TV1 in the same room & TV2 in another room (with a UHF remote)

Here's what I want to end up with: a DP 522 feeding TV2 in single mode so she can watch & record different programs, etc. I'm planning to just leave the DP 322 feeding TV1 & just unplug the second outlet.

OK, so now for my questions:

1. If I replace the 2 - DP21s with a DP34, do I have to run both cables from the 119/110 dish into the inputs? I thought the DP Twin LNBFs had an internal switch so that both outputs had both satellites...

2. If the DP 322 is only feeding one TV, do I still need to run 2 cables to it to make it work properly? Or if I unplug the outlet to TV2, can I also disconnect one of the satellite input cables and use that cable instead as one of the two needed for the new DP 522?

Thanks for the help & sorry for being long-winded,

John

redeye said:
OK, so now for my questions:

1. If I replace the 2 - DP21s with a DP34, do I have to run both cables from the 119/110 dish into the inputs? I thought the DP Twin LNBFs had an internal switch so that both outputs had both satellites...
Yes both feeds from the 500 go to ports 1 and 2, 61.5 goes to port 3

redeye said:
2. If the DP 322 is only feeding one TV, do I still need to run 2 cables to it to make it work properly? Or if I unplug the outlet to TV2, can I also disconnect one of the satellite input cables and use that cable instead as one of the two needed for the new DP 522?
No a DP 322 and DP 522 both have to have two feeds no matter whether there in single or dual tuner mode.

From the sounds of it you'd have less hassle if you just swapped the 522 for the 322 and that would allow both TV's access to the recorded content and theres no additional wiring, it'd just be a straight swap.

Seeing your mother has a 322 she is probably leasing from DISH, you may have more problems getting DISH to allow the swap than you would have with wiring.

Sounds to me that you are looking to add a 522. I would consider getting a DishProPlus Twin. That would allow you to run the 61.5 into the DishProPlus Twin and after eleminating the 21 switches you could use the two existing lines going into the house to run the 322 and the 522. You would also need a couple of seperators.