Some installers taking DVI cable from Voom box and selling on EBAY

As an installer I have NEVER so much as taken a nut or a bolt from a customer, everybody should stick to the installer golden rules and the above just might never happen, here we go again.....

Ask/Demand to see the installers SBCA 1+2 certification.
License if required in your state or the name of the person who holds the license!
Photo I.D.
Voom certification.
I would say you have a much lower chance of being ripped off if your installer is working within the law! Good Luck!

I did not get get my DVI cables either. I had two receivers installed. Since the component/composite/phone cables were in a sealed plastic bag, I did not think to look for the DVI cable. I had used svideo to connect to the TV until my XBR960 arrives in a couple of months. So, the sealed bags did not get opened. On tuesday, several people are going to get an earful.

ChetK said:
I already made all of my own component cables, but I still have the one from Voom.
My installer even gave me his cell phone number. How awesome is that?

First, I'm impressed! Making your own cables! Now if I can find a woman like that... oh well. Also, my installer on my pre-install call gave me his number and said that if I had any questions before the install to call! So yah there are great installers out there as well! Well, we will see, don't have him here till the 4th!

My DVI cable was missing for my install. The VOOM welcome pack and stb manual were also missing. Thanks to this forum, I already knew beforehand that a DVI cable was part of the standard installation package, so I asked the installer about it. He looked a little surprised and said the package he brought did not include the DVI Cable. "VOOM cheaped out" he said. But he said he would sell me a DVI cable for $100.

The DishConnect CSR called about an hour after the installer left to check that everything was okay. I mentioned the missing DVI, and she promised to send one ASAP -- the DVI cable showed up a couple days later by UPS.

I am not surprised by this assertion that some installers sell the cables on eBay. To anyone considering VOOM, be prepared before your install! This forum is your best resource.

My installer in the Dallas area, Metro Tech, left me the STB boxes for both of mine. Everything was in the boxes. The DVI cables, the component, the phone splitter, and the phone cable. He connected my 55" mitsu with the DVI and my daughter's TV with it's existing composite RCAs. He made sure that I saw all the rest of the cables he left. Being a rental customer, I would suppose that they want everything back if you de-install, so I have it all in a box. I have no plans on de-installing, though!! I love my Voom!!! This whole theft thing is going to cost Voom money when people call and demand their cables (after reading this forum). i do hope they go after the theiving bastards and let all installers know not to rip people off. "If I got a Voom install and did not get my cables, I'd kick the installer in the nuts!!" --Eric Cartman

Pete In Plano said:
My installer in the Dallas area, Metro Tech, left me the STB boxes for both of mine. Everything was in the boxes. The DVI cables, the component, the phone splitter, and the phone cable. He connected my 55" mitsu with the DVI and my daughter's TV with it's existing composite RCAs. He made sure that I saw all the rest of the cables he left. Being a rental customer, I would suppose that they want everything back if you de-install, so I have it all in a box. I have no plans on de-installing, though!! I love my Voom!!! This whole theft thing is going to cost Voom money when people call and demand their cables (after reading this forum). i do hope they go after the theiving bastards and let all installers know not to rip people off. "If I got a Voom install and did not get my cables, I'd kick the installer in the nuts!!" --Eric Cartman

Got an email about wanting to call me. I will let everyone know what they say.

As an installer I have NEVER so much as taken a nut or a bolt from a customer, everybody should stick to the installer golden rules and the above just might never happen, here we go again.....

Ask/Demand to see the installers SBCA 1+2 certification.
License if required in your state or the name of the person who holds the license!
Photo I.D.
Voom certification.
I would say you have a much lower chance of being ripped off if your installer is working within the law! Good Luck!

Thats good advice, but of all of the installers (120 of them) that I know down here, none of us have or are getting anytime soon a VOOM Certificate. We have been trained, but aren't getting a certificate anytime soon. So, basically, no one would be getting installed down here if that was the case. SBCA cert, yep, VOOM, nope. Besides, if they have all of the paperwork with them, why would they not steal stuff?? Doesn't make any sense to me...

poopsie said:
Thats good advice, but of all of the installers (120 of them) that I know down here, none of us have or are getting anytime soon a VOOM Certificate. We have been trained, but aren't getting a certificate anytime soon. So, basically, no one would be getting installed down here if that was the case. SBCA cert, yep, VOOM, nope. Besides, if they have all of the paperwork with them, why would they not steal stuff?? Doesn't make any sense to me...

That's exactly right. You can have all the professional certs in the world and still be "unprofessional" in action. There are plenty of dirty lawyers and executives that are really only professional theives.

Should I contact Wilt?

Got VOOMed yesterday with 2 boxes for 1 HD set and 1 analog set. Installer charged me $45 to go into the attic because both sets are on inside walls.

He would not give me a DVI for the analog set. Had read this forum, so I called Installs, Inc. to find out why he was not giving me the DVI for the 2nd set. They told me that if and when I get a HD set in that room, a service call will be set up and the installer for the service call will bring the DVI at that point.

Also, after the antenna was up, I noticed a box with the amplifier in it in a pile of empty boxes the installer had stacked up. When I asked him why he did not install the amplifier, he said that he had installed one, but that he swapped out the amplifier that comes with the Stealth antenna for a another one. He said he does not use the power amplifer it comes with because it "burns up". What's up with that?

And how can I tell if he grounded the antenna? It's mounted on my chimney and only two wires go into the attic, but I can see 3 wires up on the chimney.

So far I don't feel much of a "wow" factor on any channels I can get. Closest I come to "wow" is Discovery HD and ESPN HD. Can't get any of the Cinema channels on main set, but they come in on 2nd set.

I'm posting separately about download problems, which can probably resolve the Cinema channel problems, but do I need to send a message to Wilt about this install in general? Sounds to me like perhaps Installs, Inc. might have a hand in the eBay sales business if they're telling their independent contractors to not leave the DVI when it's an analog install.

Even though I did not use the Stealth antenna, Voom dish or the Voom supplied diplexors, my installer left them with me because they were mine and he said so. They forgot my 2nd stb and when I received it, there were no cables so they mailed me the entire package, including the DVI & Component even though I did not need them for my 2nd TV.

My installer, Metro, in the N. Dallas area, was very professional. I got all the cables and when they upgrade the stealth to the wingard they gave me the stealth to keep, saying Voom paid for it so they have no business taking it. I love my Voom...going on 3 months now...

I think my installer tried to keep one of my DVI cables. I have two boxes. One of my TVs is HD and the other is non HD without DVI. I noticed that the installer only brought in one DVI cable. I asked about it and he said that he had one in the van that I could have. After VOOM was installed I had to remind him about the cable. I guess that he thought I would forget about it. He ended up giving me the cable but an installer should never assume that you don't want the cable. I expect for them to bring in everything that I should receive.

All this talk about eBay, I might sell my Stealth amp. The initial installer gave me the amp for the Stealth antenna. After the antenna upgrade, they didn't want the amp back.

Any idea how much these things go for? :)

-John

Okay, Supposedly VOOM and Installs Inc are watching this forum so somebody take note of this. My install was done by Pro Star Digital out of Canton, OH. My installer's name was Jason. He claimed that Voom was no longer shipping DVI cables with their stb's. When I pressed him on the issue, explaining that the DVI is listed on the web as being included, he just *happened* to have a brand new one in his truck. I don't know how many others are getting scammed by this, but someone needs to crack down on it ASAP.

Hmmm... I think someone owes me two DVI cables... I was left with the Component cables, a set of Composite Video/Audio, and the long phone cord for each box, but no DVI cables. Was there a time when VOOM did NOT supply these cables? I was there when the guy opened up the boxes, and everything that was in there is what i have. Who do I contact to get these? (not that I will probably use them anytime soon, but they are mine, are they not?)

Chris

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)