Some installers taking DVI cable from Voom box and selling on EBAY

Voom and Installs actually ARE watching these threads. I got e-mail from Voom and Installs and a phone call from Installs to make arrangement to send me the cables. I don't need them so I said it's no big deal. I didn't see any reason to cost them any money since I didn't need them. I mainly wanted them to be aware of the situaltion so if I am forces to cancel, (pending layoff rumored at work), I don't want to be liable for equipment that was not supplied to me. Both Voom and Installs said if I ever need to call these individuals directly and they will send me one.

By the way, I was also installed by ProStar out of Columbus. Since I didn't NEED the DVI cable, I suspect that is why they didn't leave them.

mkatts said:
Voom and Installs actually ARE watching these threads. I got e-mail from Voom and Installs and a phone call from Installs to make arrangement to send me the cables. I don't need them so I said it's no big deal. I didn't see any reason to cost them any money since I didn't need them. I mainly wanted them to be aware of the situaltion so if I am forces to cancel, (pending layoff rumored at work), I don't want to be liable for equipment that was not supplied to me. Both Voom and Installs said if I ever need to call these individuals directly and they will send me one.

By the way, I was also installed by ProStar out of Columbus. Since I didn't NEED the DVI cable, I suspect that is why they didn't leave them.
doesnt matter if you NEED them or not they are yours and he should have left them with you

My installer apparently took my diplexer :eek: ... not that I can or would use it anyway, after all with the CM-4228 I am receiving 4 of my 7 OTA's, I have not checked eBay but he must need the money.

What Box?

I guess going with a Friday afternoon install was a bad idea!

My installer only had a carboard shell around the STB... He mentioned that he used to receive install kits from VOOM, but now they come in a bulk shipment!

He also mentioned that he had done 3 or 4 install earlier that day and none of them would work with the OTA antenna and told me to contact VOOM for a partial refund on my billing? I emailed VOOM but received a reply that it would be three days to hear back from them.

So at this time I have my basic STB with a DVI connection (the DVI cable looks like a cheap China cable as far as cable quality goes as the first one he tried was bad), the VOOM remote and a single coax install... No duplexer or amplifier, no phone line or splitter and no OTA antenna. I asked about the phone line and was told that it was not needed for VOOM?

:confused:

Your installer left off half of the job. OTA is a necessary part of the installation. It MUST be completed, regardless of the inability to receive OTA content.

DVI really does not matter much on quality. Much like a LAN cord, as long as the 1s and 0s get through everything is AOK.

DVI cords are really the biggest rippoff in the A/V industry.

cameron119 said:
Your installer left off half of the job. OTA is a necessary part of the installation. It MUST be completed, regardless of the inability to receive OTA content.

Why? I explicitly asked for my OTA not to be installed. It's in boxes in my garage. AntennaWeb showed only 2 local digital channels in my area, both have crappy programming with no HD. Wasn't worth drilling more holes. Why "MUST" it be completed?

1080iWannabe said:
Why? I explicitly asked for my OTA not to be installed. It's in boxes in my garage. AntennaWeb showed only 2 local digital channels in my area, both have crappy programming with no HD. Wasn't worth drilling more holes. Why "MUST" it be completed?

You stated the installer claimed you wouldn't get any OTA stations ("I've done 4 installs today and none of the OTA has worked"). You never said you asked for it not to be installed.

Perhaps you should explicitly explain your position before you explicitly attack my post.

cameron119 said:
Perhaps you should explicitly explain your position before you explicitly attack my post.

Oops. :eek: Sorry cameron119. You got my reply confused with rod821. I just saw your post that "OTA must be installed" and questioned you on that. OTA wasn't worth it in my case, and my installer was relieved not to do it when I said don't bother. I am keeping local cable until VOOM starts broadcasting local affiliates (if ever).

Are installers really required to install OTA??

Apologies,

As a newby to VOOM (three weeks) I was curious are they still putting the Dvi-D cable in the box. I got two VOOM boxes and no Dvi-D cables...

Just curious.

It is supposed to come with DVI cables, but for some reason it is usually in a second package the installer gives you. There is a thread on the forum about the installers keeping equipment and selling them on ebay. Call Voom and ask for the cable. Tell them your installers name and company. Voom will UPS you a cable. Welcome aboard :)

RogueKnight, welcome to the forum. In my case I had no DVI cable, and VOOM said they had to schedule an appointment for a service call to bring and install a DVI cable -- they could not just send me the cable. Ridiculous! Meanwhile, the company that did my install (DishConnect) sent me a DVI cable by UPS on my request, so I canceled the VOOM service call.

Enjoy your VOOM! We have been VOOMing about 3 weeks now and really love it.

This is kind of scaring me now about my install. I will keep on top of the install just like I did for my Directv install.

My installer hooked up one STB using component and one using DVI. He used the Winegard antenna and ran seperate coax cables for the OTA. He didn't leave me any of the cables he didn't use (coax, one set of component, one DVI), he didn't hook the phone line up or even give me any phone cables at all, he didn't give me any diplexers, and I didn't even get a manual or anything. He told me I had to go to VOOM's web page to get a manual. So the 1 component and 1 DVI cable are all the cables I got, period :)

Yeah my installer tried to make off with my DVI cable. I have a brand new Samsung HLP with DVI and he connected the component cables. I noticed this as he was ready to leave and he had the DVI cable in his hand. Good thing I knew what type of connection I wanted.

Just for laughs, let me tell you that my installer was going to hook up my stb with s-video! When I said we could not get HD that way, he had me "look" in the (opened) box, and said "oh, there IS a component video cable". He said sometimes there are none in the box. When I asked about the DVI cable, he said there wasn't one in the box, but he thought he might have one at home and he'd send it to me. Never arrived! :) I bought my own DVI......from Monster Cable, which is probably better than the one from Voom......still, it bugs me that I didn't get all that I was supposed to get. As far as the OTA antenna, he said I was out of the area, and left it with me, but did not even put it up (no ladder long enough). Life in the boonies! At least the service works most of the time, except when it rains. The 20" dish didn't help me at all. Hope the snow won't be a problem.....

Installer was GREAT, voom support not

I had my system ordered in June the guys who finally came in July were great. They walked all over the roof trying to get a signal. A large maple was not to be avoided so they left. I got the tree removed and called back. What a runaround from VOOM. They claimed because the install was canceled they would not honor the original deal. The current deal was for a one year commitment. I was promised a call back from VOOM but no response. Then I called Installs and they resent the original guys back. GREAT install they told me the antennas supplied by VOOM did not work in my area so I gave them a CM I bought "just in case". Neat job left ALL the cables, Stealth etc. and connected everything. The next week the box locked up and after one week wait they installed a second box. It lasted about one week. I tried to schedule the third replacement and after several missed appointments I called back to have it removed. The CSR explained that the charges would continue on my CC until the box was returned. The only thing they want back is the box according to the CSR. Now I am waiting for the box to be picked up. Voom good idea, the software and update process is crap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)