**Some OTA guide info not listing...Pgh, PA**

AngryStamen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
Anyone else have this problem in Pittsburgh, PA, or even in other markets? I scanned my OTA's in, and when I went to guide right after the scan, most of the OTA's have duplicate guide info (as expected, and desired)...that is, OTA channel 002-01 (CBS-KDKA) automatically has the same guide info as Dish-supplied channel 002-00. Same thing for channel 004-01 (ABC-WTAE), channel 011-01 (NBC-WPXI), channel 022-01 (MyTV-WPMY), and channel 053-01 (FOX-WPGH).

But the situation is different for OTA channels 013-01 (PBS-WQED), 019-01 (CW-WPCW), as well as secondary and tertiary channels 004-02 (WTAE-Weather/Traffic), 011-02 (WPXI-RTV?), 013-02 and 013-03 (WQED-different programming), 022-02 (WPMY-Info), and 053-02 (WPGH-Info). With these channels, my first hour listed shows "Digital Service", while every half hour after this lists as "No Info Available". Also, another strange and annoying thing is that ONLY for channel 019-01 (CW-WPMY), the guide lists the entire channel as "Digital Service" for as far as the guide will go into the future.

This makes it very difficult to set recordings, and I just don't understand why some of my OTA's immediately listed the corresponding programming, while others do not list any programs. Anyone else experience this problem? Anyone have any ideas how to solve it (call dish, call the TV station, etc.?) Any and all help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Uhh, ok...post and ye shall receive!! So, about 5 minutes after I posted the above problem, my box flashed an error, saying something like, "The guide info is out of date, would you like to update now." So, I said, yes, and I waited...and BOOM!! All my OTA's populated with there corresponding program listing info!! Yay!! Yahoo!!...Except for one little problem. Channel 019-01 (CW-WPCW) still lists as "Digital Service" for the whole channel. Of course, that's the one channel I'd really like to have guide listings for, since the Dish-provided channel is not in HD and my OTA is in HD.

Again, any info/help is appreciated!! Thanks!!

They are listening to us. I reported some issues on my end right after the big switch and within a few days MOST (not all) of this was fixed.

For me WPTO 14.1 is now what 14.6 USED to be, and 14.6 no longer exists. (Cincinnati Market, Oxford OH market) so I'm getting "Digital Service" on the 14HD channel)

Same thing for 16.1 / 16.6 WPTD. (Dayton Market)

I also stopped receiving program info for WRGT 45 (Dayton Market)

There are a number of channels and subchannels in the LA area that have never had guide info, and I am guessing never will. Most notably is KTLA 5.2, carrying ThisTV, for which the guide says "Digital Service". I would love to see those old movies show up on my guide and be able to record one every now and then.

I have THIS TV guide info for my sub channel (19.2 - fox affiliate is the HD 19.1) and until the switch, when I rescanned for locals I had THIS TV info for 45.2 (Fox is 45.1) out of the Dayton, OH TV market. I don't see any reason why that channel wouldn't have info. It's not because dish doesn't acknowledge the channel.

I sent an email to the dishquality email address the two times our locals switched frequencies in Feb. and June. It took 3 to 5 days and the guide was corrected. Tulsa also gets guide listings for Thistv.

They are listening to us. I reported some issues on my end right after the big switch and within a few days MOST (not all) of this was fixed.
When you say "they are listening to us.", did you contact Dish Network, or the actual local TV station(s) in your market?

I don't see any reason why that channel wouldn't have info. It's not because dish doesn't acknowledge the channel.
They changed some of the data that's sent in the PSIP stream. According to one guy at AVS, it's "wrong". Not sure how it's "wrong" vs "different" though. Nonetheless, I sent the info to WRGT/WKEF's engineering contact e-mail.

Does anyone from the Dish Quality address respond ? I e-mailed WFEF/WRGT's "Mr DTV" a week ago and have gotten no response at all and the data is still wrong. Given that the e-mail address is posted on their website, it's probably overflowing with spam and not actually used.

I got one response just hours before most of the listings were fixed. It was a canned response, but it was a response.
Dear Mr. Suarez,

Thank you for expressing your concerns and interest in DISH Network. Customer input is an important tool in our efforts to continuously improve the quality of the DISH Network service.
Thank you for your email. I will forward this information off to the appropriate department. As soon as I get any information on this issue, I will be sure and update you. If you have not heard anything from me in about 10 business days please email me again so that I may revisit this again.
We appreciate the time DISH Network customers take to email their audio/video quality concerns. Thank you for your patience and for being a valued customer.

I emailed this person back the other day about 14.6, 16.1 and 45.1/45.2.

Hall,

ALL the sub-channel listings were wrong on 14 and 16.

14.1 – moved from 14.6 - (NOT Fixed) currently EPG shows “Digital Service” on 14.1
14.2 – moved from 14.3 - Fixed
14.4 – moved from 14.5 – Fixed
14.5 – Moved from 14.2 – Fixed
14.6 – removed completely. There is no 14.6 – EPG still shows info for 14.1

16.1 – moved from 14.6 - (NOT Fixed) currently EPG shows “Digital Service” on 14.1
16.2 – moved from 14.3 - (NOT fixed) appears to share info with 16.5
16.4 – moved from 14.5 – Fixed
16.5 – Moved from 14.2 – Fixed
16.6 – removed completely. There is no 16.6 – EPG still shows info for 16.1

See ya
Tony

I had the same problem with WBPG. Dish listed it as WBPG and the station listed it as The-CW. In the local channels option go into add channel and type in the digital channel number. The station signal strength will turn red. Then click on edit name and type in the name as listed by Dish. Add channel and check the guide to be sure the title is the same as on the 00 listing. Close the guide and when you reopen it it should have the listings. Mine worked.

Here's the post with the "technical" information:

AVS Forum - View Single Post - Dayton / Lima, OH - HDTV

This guy edits his posts quite frequently and when one reads it before an edit and then uses "Last post" on the thread, misses any changes or edits. I didn't know that he posted updated information, of course. Sure seems like people from the station read the thread though, eh ?

Nonetheless, my EPG is still reading "Digital Service". I will delete those (2) channels and re-scan/add them this evening.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts