Some potentially interesting HD test channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I will ... and Travel, WGN, MSNBC and the countless others D* doesn't carry. I'll also keep my 722!
you're right about those ;). but i wasn't talking about those. i only spoke of the WORLD FARTING NETWORK HD channel :p

Obviously, all that needs to be done is for there to be one FSN-O channel, with the rare Blue Jackets game that conflicts with a Reds or Cavs game spooled up on an extra channel.

They already spin the Blue Jackets off to a side channel when there is a conflict with a Cavs game.

Yay, another war zone thread that started out with pretty interesting info

They already spin the Blue Jackets off to a side channel when there is a conflict with a Cavs game.

Umm, no they don't. If the Cavs and Blue Jackets are playing at the same time, the Cavs will be on 660 and the Blue Jackets on 661, both full time channels.

I will ... and Travel, WGN, MSNBC and the countless others D* doesn't carry. I'll also keep my 722!

Travel is the only one in that Group I would like on Directv. Let us know how MLB Network looks on Dish. Outside of the Olympics I have no interest in MSNBC. I can live without WGN.

We'll see about the Premium comparison after the launch of D12. All signs point to leveling out the playing field.

In the end I don't want an HD channel that runs about 1/3 or less of its content in HD. As an example VH1 and MTV. I would rather swap them for ESPNU and Travel or AMC.

Travel is the only one in that Group I would like on Directv. Let us know how MLB Network looks on Dish. Outside of the Olympics I have no interest in MSNBC. I can live without WGN.

We'll see about the Premium comparison after the launch of D12. All signs point to leveling out the playing field.

In the end I don't want an HD channel that runs about 1/3 or less of its content in HD. As an example VH1 and MTV. I would rather swap them for ESPNU and Travel or AMC.

I agree on the so called HD channels that show little HD content like MTV and VH1. I also would prefer ESPNU, Travel and AMC. Living in Chicago area WGN is huge. Hopefully D*, since they are the sports leader, will add this with D12. MLB is the only channel I really want that D* has ... and when/if D*adds more HD and improves their HD receiver's I may have to go back to D*. I have heard great things about the HR24 and am waiting to see if the speed is improved as advertised.

So you rather them have something that is not needed, just so they can say they have it? Of which in doing so, takes up bandwidth of channels that are more popular? That makes sense. :rolleyes:

Dodger ... are you happy with MLB Network? Just curious as to how much HD is actually shown?

So you rather them have something that is not needed, just so they can say they have it? Of which in doing so, takes up bandwidth of channels that are more popular? That makes sense. :rolleyes:

Dodger ... are you happy with MLB Network? Just curious as to how much HD is actually shown?
if you don't mind me answering this question, from what i've seen it has HD content 24,7.

As a guess, I'd say 90-95% is hd. All of the in studio content and virtually all of the games, unless they are repeats from years ago.

At the other site, tracking of the D* transponder data for D10 and D11 has shown some interesting test channels. Recently there has been some test channels but now some of those test channels have names in the comments sections of the test channels. Now these comments could mean nothing, but it could be an indication of some of what could be coming.

There are test channels labeled:

FSN Cincinnati HD_HD PPV
HBO2 East HD
HBO2 West HD
FSN Ohio HD
FSN Florida HD
TMC Xtra HD East
AMC
WGN HD
ESPNU
GolTV
3D PPV
IFC
MSNBC

For those that want to here's a link to the original sighting of this info.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2413601#post2413601

Not a bad START. I would hope for more HBO channels in HD. Four is better than two but still not enough. The June2007 press release said they'd have 11 more HBO/MAX HD channels in HD by December 2007. And what's up with TMC Xtra HD before Moremax HD extra? Are you kidding? It seems to me Moremax would come first but whatever.

While I am a Fox News man, MSNBC has its appeal to me now due to the great number of specials they are playing over the weekend. I love the Dateline-ish shows about missing people, murders, etc. and Locked Up Raw. It will be nice to see it in HD.

I am most happy about AMC HD. Not because of the commercialized movies, but because I am jonesing for Breaking Bad in HD (and Mad Men come August). Yes, I do buy both these series on bluray in all its HD glory, but I would appreciate my first viewing of a new episode to be in HD, not some watered down SD fuzz piss picture

So, of my "wish list" I am getting some of what I want...

1- AMC HD
2- HBO/MAX HD premiums
3- Sho/TMC/Starz/Ecore HD premiums
4- ID HD / Tru HD / Travel Channel HD

I hope these testing adds are true. Still don't get the TMC Xtra as opposed to Moremax but hey, I'll take it.

On another note, I called DirecTV for a picture problem yesterday and while we were waiting for a box reboot I asked about future HD channels. "With all the premium channels bumping up to higher numbers, are we going to be getting more HBO or Cinemax HD channels or ANY new HD basic channels, RSNs? Of course she said "nothing in the works." This is so stupid, of course they are going to add channels. They didn't launch 12 just to be able to say, "with the capacity to carry 200 HD channels." Start carrying channels soon D*

skottey, there are actually 70 test channels but these are the only ones that are labeled with a channel description. So who knows what else is among the other unnamed test channels. I'm sure other premiums are among them.

I hope Direct NEVER gets WFN.

Three years ago I would have said no way to AMC in HD. I'd have considered it a waste. Being a primary commercialized basic cable movie channel, I had no use for it. But now they have evolved into carrying two of the best series on television, Breaking Bad and Mad Men.

So, if we didn't get AMC HD, something I never watched in those days, I would miss out on BB in HD like I do now. But had they carried a channel I never watched at the time, I'd have been able to see the series premier in HD.

Just because WFN doesn't carry anything most of us watch doesn't mean they wont someday, out of the blue. They could totally change their format and have three or four highly anticipated series come to the surface and you'd be crying for WFN instead of knocking it.

skottey, there are actually 70 test channels but these are the only ones that are labeled with a channel description. So who knows what else is among the other unnamed test channels. I'm sure other premiums are among them.

Indeed.... I getcha... thanks for getting me down off that ledge my friend.

So, of my "wish list" I am getting some of what I want...

1- AMC HD
2- HBO/MAX HD premiums
3- Sho/TMC/Starz/Ecore HD premiums
4- ID HD / Tru HD / Travel Channel HD

I hope these testing adds are true. Still don't get the TMC Xtra as opposed to Moremax but hey, I'll take it.

On another note, I called DirecTV for a picture problem yesterday and while we were waiting for a box reboot I asked about future HD channels. "With all the premium channels bumping up to higher numbers, are we going to be getting more HBO or Cinemax HD channels or ANY new HD basic channels, RSNs? Of course she said "nothing in the works." This is so stupid, of course they are going to add channels. They didn't launch 12 just to be able to say, "with the capacity to carry 200 HD channels." Start carrying channels soon D*

I would like 1 & 4 above. 2 & 3 not interested in right now. But it would be nice to have the option. Those would, pretty much, cover the all the main channels I watch in HD.

I wish someone would take the old b&w shows/movies and convert them to HD. If they could find decent masters. Wouldn't it be great to see the old oldies like the Tarzan series. Three Stooges, Superman, Maltese Falcon, etc. TCM-HD are you listening.

I would like 1 & 4 above. 2 & 3 not interested in right now. But it would be nice to have the option. Those would, pretty much, cover the all the main channels I watch in HD.

I wish someone would take the old b&w shows/movies and convert them to HD. If they could find decent masters. Wouldn't it be great to see the old oldies like the Tarzan series. Three Stooges, Superman, Maltese Falcon, etc. TCM-HD are you listening.

Speaking of TCM HD. When will we get that wonderful channel? Add it to my list.

Umm, no they don't. If the Cavs and Blue Jackets are playing at the same time, the Cavs will be on 660 and the Blue Jackets on 661, both full time channels.

Actually they do. They have had the Blue Jackets on an alternative RSN when they both had games. Trust me I live in the are that get both RSN's and I have had to watch the Jackets on an alternative RSN a few times. It doesn't happen very often but it does happen. The time I remember had the Cavs on FSN Ohio and the Reds on FSN Cincy. They moved the Jackets to a completed obscure channel.

Edit. Sorry for going off topic again with this post.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts