Some Pre Sales Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tscallions

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 5, 2004
Bartlett, TN
I searched the FAQ (which is awesome, much props for that), but still have a few questions.

1. Local Channels: Are the local OTA channels mixed in with the VOOM channels? In other words, can I sit and channel surf through everything or will I have to change inputs when I want to view local channels?

2. OTA HD: I understand that not all of the networks broadcast everything in HD. For example, my local news comes on CBS at 10:00PM and then Late Night with David Letterman comes on at 10:30PM. News is SD, Late Night is HD. Can I receive both SD and HD on this antenna? The way it is now with my Time Warner HD. CBS HD cuts off at 10:00PM. I just want to make sure I am not stuck with only being able to view the local channels in HD only.

3. Can you turn off channels? If I have a HDTV with VOOM, why do I need the regular HBO SD channel? If HBO HD and regular HBO are showing the same thing, I don't see the point in having the SD HBO channel. (I realize not all of the HBO channels are HD; I'm only talking about the ones that are HD)

4. Can you change the PQ via the remote. If I am watching The Real World on MTV will the box auto change to 480i and then if I decided to change the channel over the HBO HD, will the box change to 1080i or is this something I have to change? I basically want to sit back and channel surf and have the box pass through whatever signal the channel is being broadcast in.

That's all I can think of right now. I am going to go to Sears after work and see if they have a demo I can play with.

tscallions said:
I searched the FAQ (which is awesome, much props for that), but still have a few questions.

1. Local Channels: Are the local OTA channels mixed in with the VOOM channels? In other words, can I sit and channel surf through everything or will I have to change inputs when I want to view local channels?

Yes, they are mixed in so you can surf through all without changing inputs.

2. OTA HD: I understand that not all of the networks broadcast everything in HD. For example, my local news comes on CBS at 10:00PM and then Late Night with David Letterman comes on at 10:30PM. News is SD, Late Night is HD. Can I receive both SD and HD on this antenna? The way it is now with my Time Warner HD. CBS HD cuts off at 10:00PM. I just want to make sure I am not stuck with only being able to view the local channels in HD only.

Even when a network is not broadcasting HD they broadcast the non-HD shows on the same digital channel so you will get all shows whether SD or HD. Letterman is not in HD yet though -- Leno is.

3. Can you turn off channels? If I have a HDTV with VOOM, why do I need the regular HBO SD channel? If HBO HD and regular HBO are showing the same thing, I don't see the point in having the SD HBO channel. (I realize not all of the HBO channels are HD; I'm only talking about the ones that are HD)

Nope, I don't think so.

4. Can you change the PQ via the remote. If I am watching The Real World on MTV will the box auto change to 480i and then if I decided to change the channel over the HBO HD, will the box change to 1080i or is this something I have to change? I basically want to sit back and channel surf and have the box pass through whatever signal the channel is being broadcast in.

You can ste the STB to receive all channels in their native format so it will pass through whatever signal is broadcast -- or you can set it to (for example) 1080i and it will upconvert everything to that setting. You can't change it from the remote though.

Please dont put alot of faith is the Sears Visit! Best to trust the judgement of this forum and call 1-800-GET-VOOM.

Damn, thanks for the quick replies! I hear you about the Sears visit. I don't want a salesman trying to pitch me anything. Just give me the remote and leave me alone for 15min so I can play with it! Again, thanks for the quick reply!

I just thought of another question! I have a 27" Sony Wega SD TV in the bedroom. If I order VOOM and have them install the second box in the bedroom can I receive ALL of the channels in SD format? Once again, thanks.

And be aware that Voom STB does not have an analog tuner. In other words, you'll get only digital OTA channels.

tscallions said:
I just thought of another question! I have a 27" Sony Wega SD TV in the bedroom. If I order VOOM and have them install the second box in the bedroom can I receive ALL of the channels in SD format? Once again, thanks.

Yes, you'll get all the channels. The HD channels are downverted. The only problem with this setup is that when the local networks are not broadcasting HD you get a squeezed image with black bars on the side on a SD TV. I haven't found anyway to fix this -- although you could plug another antenna directly into the TV to get analog reception. It doesn't bother me as I don't watch that TV much.

tscallions said:

Well you have to get all the channels in a package yes like 5 channels in HBO or something like that but, you can, turn the sd off in the sense that the voom menu has a "I just want to see the selection of HD material" button. So yes in a way the sd can be turned off.

Conjuror said:
And be aware that Voom STB does not have an analog tuner. In other words, you'll get only digital OTA channels.
Yes But most analog TV sets have analog OTA tuners in them. I never needed a seperate tuner to tune in an analog antenna on any analog TV set I owned.

Go into the voom settings and set it to "crop" and you will get SD digital ota without the black bars, but the same will happen to HD material on your sd tv and you will loose some picture.
rollerfink said:
Yes, you'll get all the channels. The HD channels are downverted. The only problem with this setup is that when the local networks are not broadcasting HD you get a squeezed image with black bars on the side on a SD TV. I haven't found anyway to fix this -- although you could plug another antenna directly into the TV to get analog reception. It doesn't bother me as I don't watch that TV much.

Seanb61 said:
Go into the voom settings and set it to "crop" and you will get SD digital ota without the black bars, but the same will happen to HD material on your sd tv and you will loose some picture.

I've tried that and it doesn't work. I still get the bars on the side. Fortunately Fox has a sub-channel that stretches the image (so it looks normal on an SD TV) and I hardly watch any SD shows on CBS, NBC, ABC on that TV and when I do the side bars don't bother me that much. I could always split OTA antenna and send one line into my TV directly for analog reception.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)