some questions about recordings

davethis

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Bay Area, CA
I have a vip 622 and it seem like ever since I received the update (where I got "TurboHD") it starts the recording about 10 seconds early and cuts off the last 10 seconds of the shows. I know I can extend the time of the show manually, but that cause problems with other recoding. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

Also, before when I use to delete an hour long HD show, the space available use to increase roughly an hour. However now if I delete a show, the space available increase only a little. The other night I deleted "Dirty Jobs" in HD and it went from 7:15 to 7:40. I realize some commercials might not be in HD so that might affect the size.

Are stations not broadcasting in full HD or did Dish change the encoding method or something else? (I am not complaining since I can not record more)

I am not sure if any of this is related to the update, since I do not really remember when I started noticing these things.

No sure what is causing the 10 minute early problem, but all the HD is mpeg4 now and requires less space, the gauge being used was set up with mpeg2. This would account for the difference, if you have OTA you would see more time being used when ota is recorded.

Starting and ending times have been terrible lately, but I can't say whether it started with TurboHD.

The worst timing seems to be on Sci-Fi, followed by the Travel Channel. But then again, those are the channels I watch the most, so I don't know how many others might be affected.

I wish there was some way to extract the time (with better than 1 minute resolution, obviously) from the data stream and see if it's correct. It would be nice to know whether Dish is sending the wrong time or whether certain channels just don't bother to observe the correct time themselves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)