Some thoughts on leaving Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
dfergie said:
Dish said "upgrades" would be reasonable...

And my definition of reasonable might not be the same as theirs...

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

I really don't think the OP said the Hopper wont work, his point, at least in my reading, is it may/will be released without OTA functionality and when the USB OTA is functional u will probably have to shell out more cash.

Sports is very important. One of the biggest complaints on this forum is lack of full time HD RSN feeds, HD broadcasts JIP, and lack of HD alternates for RSNs and no alternate for MLBN. Of course folks can switch and some do others just deal.

I do agree with u on the interface. I like simple and functional if it can be pretty too that's fine.

Personally as cool as the Hopper/Joey sounds I will wait and see. I really want to know what it will cost to upgrade and then per month. I wonder why Dish is so quiet about that part...could it be because it is going to be significantly more than than what the 922 cost at introduction?

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Sports are very important to the sports-heads on this forum. This forum only represents a very skewed demographic of DISH's entire sub base. The average DISH customer wants "best", but I could sell them the specs of a 111 as "best" and they wouldn't know any different unless their neighbor told them so. The average DISH customer is NOT technically inclined...

As a point of contention, sports fans are also some of the most disloyal (statistically speaking) as they're often the first sub type up in arms over lack of a particular package, failure to renew channels, on the phone over sports contract disputes between leagues that have nothing to do with the DBS providers and are often threatening to flip for any of the reasons I've just listed and then some.

Pricing is undecided.

You are correct. About 7:15 in to the video, Scott asks about the OTA module. The response seems to say that if you are using the ota you can't take advantage of PTA.
It's pretty obvious he means you can't take advantage of the PTA feature with OTA channels. He is not saying that having an OTA tuner attached will disable the PTA feature.

Sports are very important to the sports-heads on this forum. This forum only represents a very skewed demographic of DISH's entire sub base. The average DISH customer wants "best", but I could sell them the specs of a 111 as "best" and they wouldn't know any different unless their neighbor told them so. The average DISH customer is NOT technically inclined...

As a point of contention, sports fans are also some of the most disloyal (statistically speaking) as they're often the first sub type up in arms over lack of a particular package, failure to renew channels, on the phone over sports contract disputes between leagues that have nothing to do with the DBS providers and are often threatening to flip for any of the reasons I've just listed and then some.

Pricing is undecided.

I would say sports are very important to a lot of customers, not just "sports heads". I would consider "sports fans" to be a very broad descriptor that includes the most casual fan to the one that wants to watch every game in their particular league. I thing what a lot of sport fans, particularly those that are on the more casual end of the spectrum want is to watch their team. That is why league contracts and RSN feeds become important, because "their team" may only be on one particular network. i really don't care that I might be able to watch all the NFL Games, or all the NBA games, but if my Red Raiders are not on Dish on a given Saturday in the fall, then I am upset, especially when I know that my neighbor that has [insert alternate pay TV service here] has the game and Dish does not.

I would say that the average Pay TV customer is not technically inclined...it is not just limited to Dish Customers.

I personally believe they could do a update to the ViP boxes and add a lot of features like DirecTV has did to the HR20, 21, 22, 23, and current 24 series. I believe that Dish intentionally makes customers buy and or upgrade to new equipment to get new features that they could do with firmware upgrades and planning. I believe that they do this to stimulate sales of equipment from Echostar Technologies to Dish Network Corporation. Since they have an arms length relationship and Dish is its former parent's number one customer. If it were not for Dish, Echostar would produce very little if any equipment

Not sure what you mean. If you are trying to discount the importance and for all intents and purposes the survival of Echostar on Dish Network , you need to read the latest available annual report. According to it Echostar depended on Dish for 82.8% of their set top sales in 2010. Bell ExpressVu was 9.8% of business in 2010. That means 7.4% came from other sources, including Echostar Europe. So it seems a valid point to me that Dish and Echostar would not incorporate new features into existing hardware, simply to sell more hardware.

Just trying to show Echostar also sells their products elsewhere,now it does not surprise me that there is a strong link to DISH.After all they had the same founder.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)