Some Uplinks may be of interest to HD viewers

cfunk said:
You know all about these problems because you have a 622 and a 211 right?
Or is it because you have Directtv and nothings going on with that so
go to Dish Network threads and make fun of E so you can feel better.

Yes, smart guy, I own a 211..Apperently DISH has decided to give it to me even though I cancelled over 5 weeks ago...

Yes, Im pissed that I have holes drilled in my roof for a dish that DOES NOT WORK..

No, they will not pay for a seperate dish to point at 129 or 61.5 on its own, and no Im not paying for it by myself, because no, I do not want another dish on my house, and even if I did I would not pay for it out of my own pocket..

No, I do not care if you like what I have to say..I think you are an idiot (actually I know you are an idiot), so why would I care?

jdr01930 said:
Any speculation (or fact) on whether NatGeo HD will be included with ALL the HD packages (HDBronze, HDsilver, etc etc)? Or will they start some segration.
What I mean is, since Nat Geo SD is only included in AT180, will NGHD only be in it's "HD equivilant" package (HDGold/HDPlatinum)?
I think this is the first case we've seen of a higher teired SD channel having an HD conterpart added.

Hopefully they'll just consider it another HD channel and bundle it in with the rest of them regardless of which HD metalic pack you subscribe to....

I have HD Bronze and am keeping my fingers crossed. Nat Geo HD is coming is great news indeed!
I'm curious about this as well. As an HD Silver subscriber, it would be nice to have National Geographic HD, but it's not worth an upgrade.

mikew said:
It's so hard to understand why DirecTV had, what seemed to be, the inside edge on getting HD launched. Then, all of the sudden, Dish comes out kicks Rupert's butt. More content and...a DVR that can actually record the content. How could Dish pull this all together while DirecTV continues to say they'll have 120 chans by the end of the year (a statement we all know is false).

It's really not that hard to understand.

Bandwidth: DirecTV put all thier eggs in the spaceWay basket. Unfortunately, 1 & 2 are purely spot beam birds. There no more conus bandwidth till 3 gets launched.

mpeg 4 PVR: This is a side effect of trying to break ties with TiVo. E* took an existing Hi-Def model, swapped the mpeg decoder and updated the softare.

DirectTV has never done a multiple tuner Hi-Def box before. It's gonna take them more time.

They'll get there, but they are gonna lose subs in the meantime. In the long term, Direct could end up with a lot more local HD markets (which probably will not cover that many more subs).

David_Levin said:
There no more conus bandwidth till 3 gets launched.

I was not aware that they have reconfigured (or even could reconfigure) SW3 for non-spot TWTA's. Do you have a link? Last I knew it was only going to be used as an in-orbit spare. I guess I missed something?

Airblair said:
Why did they have to choose? Was it a matter of bandwidth? And if so, does this mean that there won't be any more new HD channels until they improve the MPEG4 encoding or put a new bird up?

I'm sure the encoding is a factor...

...BUT, remember how DISH used to add a channel just about every month? I think spreading things out is a good idea. It keeps things interesting, and it gives them time to evaluate the value of different channels. Eventually, there will be MANY HD channels and if they add every single one now, we may come to a point where there are better channels available and there's no room for them. Sure they could add something like "Wealth" just because it's available, but a couple years down the line, we may be at the situation we're at now with SD channels...low on bandwidth and package prices too high to add good new channels because they're locked into a bunch of mediocre stuff

It's my opinion that the overall increase in the new HD package (net $5, right?) has some built in room to grow. The next couple years should be exciting for HD viewers.

HokieEngineer said:
Maybe you could try a separate dish pointed at 129 to increase signal levels.

A lot of people don't factor tree blockage issues when swapping a 500 for a 1000. Just because your mast works for 2 locations doesn't mean it works for 3.

There are other factors as well. I actually couldn't use a 1000 because I couldn't get 110-129 was fine. I had a marginal 110 signal on a 500, and it just dropped too low when I tried to install a 1000 on the same mast. When I moved it to my former 148 mast, I couldn't get 129.

As a result, I have what I believe to be a very rare installation- 129/119 on a Dish 500, and 110 on a Dish 300

In any case, I get a much higher signal on 129 than 110, and I am in Arizona. 129 shouldn't be much on an issue for most parts of the US, you just need to be creative.

jdr01930 said:
Any speculation (or fact) on whether NatGeo HD will be included with ALL the HD packages (HDBronze, HDsilver, etc etc)? Or will they start some segration.
What I mean is, since Nat Geo SD is only included in AT180, will NGHD only be in it's "HD equivilant" package (HDGold/HDPlatinum)?

Purely speculation, but most of the HD channels are sold as a separate entity from it's SD counterpart. The expections are the Premiums- HBO HD is included in the price of everybody's HBO subscription, ect.

In the case of TNT or ESPN, it's a load of crap, because you're paying twice for the same content. But I believe NatGeoHD has a different programming schedule (a-la Discovery). Since they're paying separately, they can put the HD version in the lower package.

I personally believe that DISH is trying to put together 30-35 or so HD channels that will become their "base" HD package. After that, they can start to split them up into tiers. (One exception- if they added Encore HD or TMC HD, they would probably put them into their matching package- Gold or above.)

M Sparks said:
In the case of TNT or ESPN, it's a load of crap, because you're paying twice for the same content. But I believe NatGeoHD has a different programming schedule (a-la Discovery).

Incorrect...if you go to National Geographics website it says that it mirrors the same SD programming.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/hd/questions_answers.html

"Are the programs and schedules the same on both channels?

Yes! You can enjoy all your favorite NGC shows on the HD channel! The schedule is identical for both channels (HD and SD). "

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)