Someone please explain how Voom allocates bandwidth

I don't know when it was done but I see some references to the new HDCinema names like "Family Room", "Majestic". That makes me think that it was done sometime after January.
All the bitrates can be already invalid since VOOM is migrating to the new Harmonic encoders.

Walter L. said:
I don't know when it was done but I see some references to the new HDCinema names like "Family Room", "Majestic". That makes me think that it was at least after January.
All the bitrates can be already invalid since VOOM is migrating to the new Harmonic encoders.

The bitrates are changed dynamically on demand as I understand it so the numbers meant nothing before the new encoders either.

Another interesting observation is that his tool screenshots suggest that ALL the VOOM-exclusive channel are not encrypted. I have a hard time believing that.

vurbano said:
Bruce/Boo claims all channels are 1440 based on this.
If you click on the screenshots you get more info. For example for DivineHD you see:
Stream Type: 0x02 MPEG-2 Video PID 592 (0x0250)
MPEG Video: Bitrate 80.000 Mbps Resolution 1440 x 1080i
MPEG Video: Framerate 29.97 fps Aspect Ratio 16:9 Chroma Format 4:2:0
Descriptor: ATSC Caption Service Descriptor
e2 65 6e 67 7e 3f ff 65 6e 67 c1 3f ff .eng~?.eng.?.
This suggest a 1440x1080i resolution, but it also says 80 Mbps bitrate :rolleyes:

Hmm, maybe this is the website where Bruce/Boo recieved his infamous, "i cant find them now" free D* HD reciever coupons? Cough cough :rolleyes:

who_the said:
Are voom originals really only 1440x1080i, as Bruce/Boo posted?

I would never have opened a thread about this here, because even I would consider it "Trolling", all the answers are at this site:

http://www.coolstf.com/Voom/

Then Click at the channels to the right, like MonstersHD, and then it will say this:

Program Number: 3 MONSTERS
Descriptor: CA Descriptor
CA System ID: 18249 (0x4749) Motorola DCII
CA PID 489 (0x01e9)
Stream Type: 0x02 MPEG-2 Video PID 464 (0x01d0)
MPEG Video: Bitrate 80.000 Mbps Resolution 1440 x 1080i
MPEG Video: Framerate 29.97 fps Aspect Ratio 16:9 Chroma Format 4:2:0
Descriptor: ATSC Caption Service Descriptor
e2 65 6e 67 7e 3f ff 65 6e 67 c1 3f ff .eng~?.eng.?.

Walter L. said:
If you click on the screenshots you get more info. For example for DivineHD you see:

This suggest a 1440x1080i resolution, but it also says 80 Mbps bitrate :rolleyes:

Go to the bottom, it shows how that 80 Mbps is divided up, is shows it on a PID Usage Chart.

bruce said:
Go to the bottom, it shows how that 80 Mbps is divided up, is shows it on a PID Usage Chart.
It's still not clear. The 80Mbps is mentioned on the descriptor of each original channel. Also, it says that each Music Choice channel has 15Mbps :eek: :shocked
Bottom line, we need Rod to come here and explain.

bruce said:

Those values reflect a one timeframe or this an average of looking at the variable birates over a period of time? If so what is the max bitrate seeing and for what period of time?

Sean Mota said:
Those values reflect a one timeframe or this an average of looking at the variable birates over a period of time? If so what is the max bitrate seeing and for what period of time?

I think it is a onetimeframe, and I said that at AVS also, my post above was in reference to what Walter asked about 80Mbps.

HD Local Law Status

Breaking News, I'm back baby, if it last.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)