Something interesting last night

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Comptech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Travelers Rest SC
I was on the OTA with my local digital channel trying to watch dancing with the stars and for the first time ever it came up as encryted. Switched to other local didital channels and all was fine back to WPEC and it said encrypted again. Went to the CS800 and the main feed was in the clear.I know it was a mistake on their part, but with digital can local OTA's encrypt their programming?

I certainly hope they never decide to charge. Perhaps this is a conspiracy to get everyone that watches OTA switched over to digital. Some people think that there is an embedded smart card in the DTVPal converter for future application.:eek:

I certainly hope they never decide to charge. Perhaps this is a conspiracy to get everyone that watches OTA switched over to digital. Some people think that there is an embedded smart card in the DTVPal converter for future application.:eek:

My basic stance is that advertisement supported television is already paid for, why pay again? That said, my needs are much less than most other sofa jockeys. If I had a baseball viewing habit, I guess I'd have to pay the piper.

Still I wonder -- when television and the Internet converge (assuming nearly universal broadband access in the future, by whatever means) -- what will become of E* and DirecTv? They don't appear to me to be in a very good position over the long haul. I say this because the Internet puts huge pressures on prices, people don't seem to like to pay for things, or pay much, and there's tons of free stuff out there already.

The Internet makes a lousy television set right now, but bandwidth and other capabilites are anticipated to increase dramatically in the next version of the 'Net.

It will be interesting to see how all this plays out.

I was on the OTA with my local digital channel trying to watch dancing with the stars and for the first time ever it came up as encryted. Switched to other local didital channels and all was fine back to WPEC and it said encrypted again. Went to the CS800 and the main feed was in the clear.I know it was a mistake on their part, but with digital can local OTA's encrypt their programming?

Theoretically they could encrypt but right now I don't think that is included in any OTA datastream. What you may have seen is the feed they were using may have lost it's authorization and well it became encrypted. Just because you saw it ITC with the coolsat that doesn't mean that they were on that feed, the one they were using may have had conditional access.

Dont twist facts !

May be YOU who are thinking, but I did post all info with pictures and details !

Don't put your words in my mouth or do not pose that way ! :down:

May be YOU who are thinking, but I did post all info with pictures and details !

Don't put your words in my mouth or do not pose that way ! :down:

Excuse me, but are you responding to something we do not see posted? Or was the song actually written about you: "You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you"?

I have seen the same claim of an embedded smart card (I think it was at Camping World - Winegard ad).
I do not know who you are, but such a comeback seems VERY improper unless there was more to that post you are quoting that I can not see. You have a high post count, so I do not understand why you come at another member that way.

POP

Smith posted months ago, with pictures, where the smart card (chip) is located in the Dish Network DTV Pal digital television converter box.
It's just not here in the FTA department.
So far as I know the DTVpal is the only unit with one inside.
My Channel Master 7000 (with -some- much nicer features, does not have one)

And, he's been around longer than I have, doing interesting things behind the backs and under the covers, coming up with imaginative variations on LNBs, and other cool things.
He's usually just short on explanations, and often a bit cryptic.
But, I assure ya, he's not one to be wrong.

"I have seen the same claim of an embedded smart card (I think it was at Camping World - Winegard ad). "

I posted 8/16 here ; would you provide URL and date of that mythical post ?
Or accept real facts ?

There is more info for you in case you need facts - search for "DshH80".

another charlie mess

FWIW, my magnavox converter box from wallyworld works just fine, and I don't need any event timer with it, period. Went back and read part of that 12pager on the DTV Pal episode, glad I wasn't curious enough to look into it, when I first heard the term DTV Pal. I just knew if dishnetwork had anything to do with it, I didn't want one.
As far as hidden chips and secret software, really? I'm still working on the chemtrails mystery, much more interesting to me.

Smith, P; Perhaps I do owe you an appology, as I know nothing about DTVPal.

The ad I saw was for Winegard's digital OTA converter box being sold to RVers. The cost was about $150.00 and was "equiped with with an addressable" ??name?? "card for accessing OTA subscription TV without a telephone (land) line." I did assume (standard definition) that the reference in posts 1 & 2 was to a retail market converter box, such as those using the $40.00 coupon. --- So there WAS more to the thread or post than I saw.

Sorry to have gone so far OT.
POP

I have the DTVPal and it actually works pretty well. Picks up a couple extra stations that my other OTA boxes (Voom & Magnavox) can't pick up or keep stable.

The remote pisses me off (spazzy remote) but the box does its job

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)