Something to consider re: D* CSR reps

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr. Kennedy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
I'm not sure if this is true for all departments, but chances are very good that when you call D*, you are actually speaking with a CSR that is subcontracted out through a national call center. Meaning that you aren't actually speaking with a D* employee. That person you are mad at for giving you wrong information is employed by Convergys.

From my own personal experience with that employer (which was quite a few years ago), information travels very slowly. D* may have given Convergys information about how to word when the new HD channels are being lit up, but it may not have made it's way down to the CSR. If it's anything like it used to be, it just takes one or two people in the department to give the rest of the CSRs wrong info and then that info is gospel. Trust me, it happened all the time.

Check this out:

http://www.convergys.com/news_results.php?newsid=2822

I live in a city where Convergys operates. A lot of the people who work there are good, smart people, attending college (they offer excellent benefits), or retired. A good lot of the people employed there aren't. They suffer from a high turnover rate because these people quit on a dime, get fired or do a terrible job, but they are a warm body. Chances are that CSR you are speaking with has been on the job less than a month.

I guess what I'm saying is before you trash on D*, consider that you aren't actually dealing with a D* employee. You're dealing with a subcontracted employee. Does that let D* off the hook? Hell no. But it does explain why the information is inconsistent. It shouldn't be this way, but that's what happens when companies take their own people out of the equation and hire these national centers to handle their customer service. I work for a national bank that has their own in house call center and the customer service scores they get are remarkable. You can always tell if you are speaking with an outsourced call center employee or a direct employee.

The one good thing? At least D* hasn't outsourced to India. Yet.

What you said is true! I worked the Convergys for Directv up until 2004 when I retired. When I began with the company, it was right at the beginning when the systems were costing upwards of 1500 plus dollars, and the equipment was very basic. When I started we had just celebrated the aquisition of our four millionth customer, and what's it now, around sixteen million . One more thing though, at the time I retired, we were in the process of training CSR's in India and I do know that they are in use now. Our biggest problem in tech support was the Chinese customers who had jade tv and when ever a tech question was asked, such as, "what do you see on your tv screen"? We always got the same answer, "no pictuh" and that was the answer for each and every question, so just be patient with the CSRs, they will for the most part do their best to provide help if possible.

Everytime I have talked to Directv, it has been with a person in the US... (Idaho is still US right?)

They get the same info as the D* reps do...they have access to the same systems, including billing and equipment. Just because they're outsourced, doesn't mean they get different information.

And they have outsourced to the Philippines.

Everytime I have talked to Directv, it has been with a person in the US... (Idaho is still US right?)

Consider yourself lucky then.
All I ask for is someone that knows what they are talking about and that speaks clear English.
I have often tried to talk with people that I could hardly understand.

Jimbo

And they have outsourced to the Philippines.

Yep. I've had more than one "conversation" with the Filipino CSRs. Ok for simple stuff, forget about anything even remotely complex.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)