SOmething wrong with SES-6 ( 40.5W)?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Vondertrenk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
Canada
I have lost a lot of channels at SES-6, basically everyday at least one channel is gone. Four months ago, when NSS-806 was still there, there were more than 220 channels. A wild scan now comes up with barely 80. I thought the new channel had the polarity type changed from circular to linear but it didn't. Also tried changing polarity V&H.
Where all those channels did go? Does SES-6 has a more regional footprint compared with NSS-806? The SES web page shows exactly the same Hemi footprint as before as well as the TP information is the same and the number of channels.

I do have a Geosat MIcroHD and the Forted 6 footer. I have not changed anything on the dish. Can someone confirm if all those channels are still there? For example, the Voice of America at 3980R 17800 is gone. Same with 4002 L 2450.

Can't see it myself, mountain blocking it. Sounds like they have moved channels somewhere else, especially if its a big provider using it.

I have noticed also, some of the remaining channels had the sisgnal and power down. Testing, I moved my dish to 37 W and 31 W, both with witrh circular and linear African channels and the Q is over 70%. I dont believe is either my circular or linear LNBs, however I am open to dicussions.

The SES website shows circular for c-band, and linear for KU band. I didn't zoom in on the ku footprint but it looked like it might be iffy for most of North America, you might get more details by downloading those footprint maps. Since I don't know where you are I can't really guess. it's a new satellite according to SES, so it may be that some of the footprints have changed. Were you watching c-band or ku or both on the old satellite? Another way might be to look up websites of some of the channels or providers you were watching before, and see if there's any news about signal changes.

I am based in Toronto, the new satellite footprint seems to cover very well all the big lakes. (c-band)

Last edited:
I have lost a lot of channels at SES-6, basically everyday at least one channel is gone. Four months ago, when NSS-806 was still there, there were more than 220 channels. A wild scan now comes up with barely 80. I thought the new channel had the polarity type changed from circular to linear but it didn't. Also tried changing polarity V&H.
Where all those channels did go? Does SES-6 has a more regional footprint compared with NSS-806? The SES web page shows exactly the same Hemi footprint as before as well as the TP information is the same and the number of channels.

I do have a Geosat MIcroHD and the Forted 6 footer. I have not changed anything on the dish. Can someone confirm if all those channels are still there? For example, the Voice of America at 3980R 17800 is gone. Same with 4002 L 2450.
I have noted something wrong on my set up since 2-3 weeks ago, so thanks for bring this to discussion.
Let me explain little bit some History. I am Using Dedicated (no motorized) Sadoun 1.8 mts with Geosat pro C2 LNBF (with the dielectric plate inside) and Openbox HD S9 since a couple years ago always aiming to 40.5 W. Normally I am receiving around 90 free channels. So If you are getting 220 channels Wow with 1.8 mts is Excellent!!!
My antenna is on the floor mounted with 39" of sadoun pole elevation so I think i am not receiving more channels due the roof block of my home is around 15 feets in the front of my dish..I guess..
In two years always (once 2-3 months) I need to readjust my dish (elevation or azimuth) because I get some signals weak and fixed the problem after little movements. but Last weekend I spend some hours trying to get my "normal signals" but was impossible. Now I am receiving half channels around 40. I have noted that the strong tp's like Tp 4021 L, I lost some digits of signals of quality
During the transition from Nss806 to Ses-6. I have not noted big improvements on my signals, just some weak signals are more stables with this new satellite and more channels were added. The foot Print for SES-6 appears to bring more coberture and more of EIRP values compared to Nss806 and I have confirmed this with my set up but I dont know whats going up since 2-3 weeks ago..
Before to read this Post I am thinking that probably I need to spend more time "playing" to get back the signals
I dont know but Appears that the Footprint was modificated or something like that..
I will investigate more..
What is your location?? I am in North of Texas

Last edited:
Hi Vallenato
As I said before, I am based up in Toronto. The signal is normally strong for most of the channels. I believe it may be the transition from one satelliet to the other. About 10 channles that I had lost for a week showed up yesterday and one more today, but at the same time I lost RCN and a few others today.

Hi Vallenato
As I said before, I am based up in Toronto. The signal is normally strong for most of the channels. I believe it may be the transition from one satelliet to the other. About 10 channles that I had lost for a week showed up yesterday and one more today, but at the same time I lost RCN and a few others today.
Same is happenning with Satmex 8 @ 116.8W

RCN is still there. I got yesterday but pixelated I got around 20% of Quality. , Normally I got 40-50% last month and watchable. openbox is showing still MPEG2 DBV-S so no big changes....I will readjust muy antenna in the next weeks to try again..

Have you tried to adjust your dish? or the LNB (focal point).
I am surprised about your 220 Channels:eek: ..all of those are Free? or this quantity is including the encrypted channels..How many free channels you are Getting? what LNB you are using?..I guess that Your antenna direction is free blocked & completely clear to the sky, right?:rolleyes:

RCN is gone for good. Not even marginal signal. Nada, zero. Have you had a chance to see it today?
Around 130 FTA and the rest scrambled. But the scrambled chs are good to tune up the antenna. My dish has two LNBs mounted one aside the other, circular and linear. I also has a 36 positioner and got almost everything from 24W to 127W. ( had to modify the limits)
By the way, MY Gente was gone two alsmot one month ago and today is back.

Hi Lupe.
Caracol was in C-Band at 58W, Intelsat 16 and was clear until about two weeks ago, now is encrypted. RCn was also clear at 40w, old NNS806 and now SES-6, it is no longer available in Toronto but I have the feeling that it got encrypted as well rahter than changing footprint since it dissapear about the same time than Caracol.

Now, you said you can get both RCN and Caracol at Intelsat 805? You mean 55.5W? Where are you located?

Colombia is going to put all its tv station as TDA (open digital tv) program on AMC 4 AT 67 on ku band

Thats what I heard. They did some test back on January but havent see any movements lately. As for I805 55.5w ku band I got them here in the Carribean with a 4.5feet and Universal LNB

Thanks Lupe. You mean really 18 ft or you mean 18 inches dish?

18 ft is almost 6 mts, what a huge dish! You may catch anything available in the Wester Hemipshere.

I recall seen Telantioquia in 55.5W C-Band for a single night, then dissapeared

Status
Please reply by conversation.