Sometimes DISH reall burns me up...

Khandurian

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 6, 2004
Cocoa Beach Baby!
Sometimes DISH really burns me up...

Ive been a customer now for roughly 12 years... Only had one service call due to lightning. Paid my bills roughly on time.... Sometimes a few days late, but thats real life.

Anyways, I call up today, because I finally wanna bite the bullet and upgrade to HD. (Ya I know... but I just got my first hd tv somewhat recently). I'm talking to the lady online, and she demands a CC. I inform the lady, "I'm sorry, I dont give out CC numbers over cell phone lines, and there has never been one on this account and I feel no need to supply one now".

She kept insisting, so I politely said "Oh well, you just lost an upgrade. Never mind, have a nice day" and hung up.

Why, after I think 12 years of service are they now demanding a CC? No consideration of the fact that maybe I dont have one? Or maybe I just refuse to give that information?

I just dont understand....

Last edited:
The OP is asking why dish requires a CC on file, reason is so they can charge it if you skip out on your commitment after the upgrade, do the upgrade yourself with owned equipment that you can buy cheap in the case of a non DVR HD receiver and you won't need a CC on file.

For a leased receiver upgrade, we do require that a credit card be qualified. We do this to make sure we secure our investment in you as a customer (we only charge it if you cancel before completing the commitment, or do not return our equipment to us). I understand that you may not want to give any card numbers over the phone, or via chat, but it is required.

If you do want to PM me, I'll gladly help you set up the upgrade.

If they accept debit cards, why not? Green Dot is a debit, not credit, card.

But since it's a prepaid card, perhaps it does not give Dish the assurance they want, so I'm looking forward to an answer from DIRT.

For a leased receiver upgrade, we do require that a credit card be qualified. We do this to make sure we secure our investment in you as a customer (we only charge it if you cancel before completing the commitment, or do not return our equipment to us). I understand that you may not want to give any card numbers over the phone, or via chat, but it is required.

If you do want to PM me, I'll gladly help you set up the upgrade.

I will pm you, but just to let everyone here know, the 2 322s I got are leased, and i have never given such info...

Since the OP says he already has 2 qty 322s that are leased, he could own 2 222ks for around $100 each shipped since they are practically giving them away, he also is already WA 110 + 119 since he has the 322s in Orlando area. All he needs is a new dish for 110,119,129, in my opinion not worth the supposed value of the commitment they are trying to secure with the CC number. But if you are going to want to lease 2 HD DVRs and the dish installed then maybe it would be worth a commitment. Although you would get a way better deal to go HD and get burdened with a commitment going with a new sub deal with directv. The key here is dish does not make it attractive to upgrade to HD for existing subs compared to jumping ship. That is why churn is so high.

If you were to buy the 222ks and you could call up dish and tell them you want to sub to an international, they would then install the 500+ dish for a fee which would get you the 110,118,119 and the switch upgrade, You would then cancel the international after 1 or 2 months, after the new international dish is installed you could add your own LNBF for 129 provided the dish was aligned correctly to begin with. This would also still be cheaper then the supposed value of the commitment that the CC would be trying to secure for a HD upgrade.

Last edited:
There are so many things that require c.c. info that I couldn't imagine ot having one. Being in retail I could never understand how paranoid some people can be certain things. If you see any unauthorized charges on your card you just call the company and resolve. Usually a pretty simple task and part of everyday life now.

You say you were a few days late on payment sometimes but that's life, and I agree. I would also say that when a company needs your c.c. in order to upgrade you, that's life. You're other option is to purchase the equipment.

Khandurian - Welcome to 21st Century. Requiring a credit cards is a reasonable request, accept it. If you ever have any fraudulent charges just call you credit card company and they take care of it. So relax, give them a CC number, and enjoy the upgrade to the world of HD!

Not sure that SS requirement is legal. Yes, I know it's often asked for- but I don't think it's legal. What was never enforced seems to now be coming into more and more enforcement. Notice the states are moving from SS #s for DL #s, and creating some new number?

Its optional, but if you choose not to provide it you pay up front ahead for the next month, and you have to make an outrageous deposit for equipment etc. Comcast wanted something like $500 for a deposit for equipment and first months payment, and tech install fee all in advance. Its a matter of choice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts