Status
Please reply by conversation.

DumbArkie

Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
Arkansas
Hello all,

This is my first post.

After several weeks of reading the forums here on SatelliteGuys.us, I made the plunge and got a motorized 39” dish and a SonicView 360 Elite. When that UPS truck rolled up Thursday afternoon it felt just like Christmas morning!:)

First, the good news. After two days of trying to hit a bird in 101[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]º[/FONT] weather, I finally locked on to Galaxy 19! Watchin' that screen populate with 240 video and 143 audio channels was near orgasmic. Now I ain't sayin' that it was better than sex, but it was real close. I was even yellin' at the screen “c'mon baby, give me more!” What must my neighbors have thought? :eek:

But now here's the bad news. I bought my SV-360 on eBay. The previous owner was obviously a hacker because the only channels listed were all of the Dish Network channels. When I try to change channels I get an error message that comes up “Please update the newest SW.” Then the channel won't change at all and sometimes it just goes blank. :(

Apparently this has become a problem for the hackers because when I google the error message, it sends me to all the hacker sites. They have several remedies, none of which work. And most of their work-arounds are for stealing DN, which I am not trying to do.

I have reset to factory defaults and also updated to the latest firmware from sonicviewusa.com. I've tried turning the power switch off in the back several times. I even tried asking it very nicely "PLEASE change the channels." Nothing worked. All I want to get is legit FTA. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm already tired of Russia Today.

Thanks! (or maybe I should start saying "???????!")

Can we assume that you loaded the "factory" firmware from the Sonicview site ? Then set factory defaults, then setup your antenna page for 97W, and re-scan it. Do the channels come in again ? Try to scan in only FTA channels, that should be an option in your scan setup, I think. See what happens.
I don't have a Sonicview, so I'm guessing here.
:)

Thanks Brent!
Yes, the firmware was from sonicviewusa.com. Then I did two different re-scans - one with "All" and one with "FTA" only. Still stuck.

Sorry, forgot to say that the channels still populate the list, but still can't change channel. For a while I could quickly change channels after re-boot, but can't even do that now. Stuck on one channel.

There should be a System Clean files for your model available from hacker's site. D/L and use it to wipe off any hackware, then, install the factoy bin and config your antenna for 97 and re-scan.

back to factory

I never had much success using the system cleaner file alone to remove that message from a SV360 Elite I found at a yard sale. I finally had to resort to loading the earlier factory file with the DB9 modem cable & a pc. When you're done the first screen you should see is the factory test tile which allows a thorough checkout of the stb. When you've achieved this you be certain it is absolutely clean of hackerware.
Also, search for Pro96s' thread on a SV HD8000 he found at the Salvation Army. That thread has a a lot of info about similar problems.
Here are the files I used & then some extras(remember to do factory defaults in between file loads):D
Good luck.

Attachments

• SV360Elite_SysCleanFile.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,293
  • Downloader_v0201.zip
    199.3 KB · Views: 709
  • SV-360Elite_factory bin_V0111.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 988
  • SV-360 Elite PVR Manual_English.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 4,657
  • SV360Elite_FACTORY_V0103.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 850
  • ChanMaster_v210.zip
    261.9 KB · Views: 670
Great news! The SV360Elite_SysCleanFile.bin file did the trick. After install, it rebooted and all was right with the world. Channels change with no error message. All channels are still there.

Brex, should I leave well enough alone at this point or continue with the other files? I'm ready to move on to my next satellite. Actually, I'm ready to buy an 8-footer now! I'm hooked!

Thanks again everyone.

Leaving well enough alone

DA,
If it suits you as it is, then by all means leave it alone. Should some kind of weirdness raise its ugly head then go for the complete wipe back to factory fresh. You ought to get familiar with the channel editor, it is a valuable tool.
Great to hear about your success!
Have fun with it!:)

My receiver done this and it was new in the box. It is the 360 Premier. I downloaded factory firmware into it in case the one in the receiver was corrupted and it did not fix it. Do you think I still need to use the clean file? Will this one work for Premier?

There is a specific file for your receiver; "360premier_SysCleanFile"

That should do the job. Just on the off chance that the factory file you are using has somehow been corrupted, you maybe should download and extract a new copy to be sure its OK.

Last edited:
I found one place that has this software but the file is not good. I am now looking for the older software that they released that did not have this issue which is my guess their original software.

I found one place that has this software but the file is not good. I am now looking for the older software that they released that did not have this issue which is my guess their original software.
Did you try the files in post #7 of this thread?

I have the Premier, not the Elite, but someone in another thread gave me the software that I needed and it fixed my problem.

I have the Premier, not the Elite, but someone in another thread gave me the software that I needed and it fixed my problem.
Sorry about that...still some of the tools work for both models ....like the 201 downloader. I struggled with that insidious "update to..." problem some 6 months ago.
Finally had to resort to brute force with the null modem cable to return my Elite to factory fresh with an older factory file. Although I just don't use it that much these days because I now have others that blindscan better, it has behaved well since.

I got this type of receiver because it was advertised as a two year warranty, has the PVR, and it was cheap. I wanted something cheap as a starter receiver to try to tune signals in to train myself to do installations and see how hard these signals are to pull in. I figured this receiver would pickup most of the content that is available but know that there is other content that requires a more expensive receiver.

I found out that this company is out of business so I contacted the seller and asked for a refund since I have no warranty or support or to give me half my money back and the seller agreed to do so, so it looks like it will be a real cheap receiver now.

I seen it advertised as being DVB-S compatable as well. Is this true?

SV-360 Elite Bin

bre2001,

Didn't know if you needed the older firmware for your SV-360 Elite to get it to work? I have the older April 17, 2009 file for the Elite if you need it.

bre2001,

Didn't know if you needed the older firmware for your SV-360 Elite to get it to work? I have the older April 17, 2009 file for the Elite if you need it.
Thanks but no. I'm about ready to factory default the Elite, pack it up for sale to the next aspiring owner.
I've just got too much stuff. Just like George Carlin said.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.