Sonicview 8000

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rjl75

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Hi,

I just ordered my Sonicview 8000 from GoSatellite, they gave it their highest rating for the HD receivers. I have a couple questions about it while I wait for it to arrive. I will be moving between satellites using my 4dtv receiver do you see any problem with this? How is the information put onto the on screen menu"

rjl75

How is what information put on screen-do you mean the channel info such as channel name, freq , etc? On my Ultra, it just flashes up on the screen for about 2 seconds, you can set the delay up to 5seconds I think. Or turn that off completely.
If you mean "Guide" info, there is very little guide info on free to air channels, most do not have any guide at all, not used in US.

Hi,

The guide I am referring to is the one they say the unit has 32 megs of memory and hold 9 days of guide information, I thought they were talking about a tv guide, like the 4dtv receiver has.

I hope thing turn around and get better about ordering this. First the negative thing that were said about this receiver in this review and now there is no tv guide.

rjl75

Hi,

I just ordered my Sonicview 8000 from GoSatellite, they gave it their highest rating for the HD receivers. I have a couple questions about it while I wait for it to arrive. I will be moving between satellites using my 4dtv receiver do you see any problem with this? How is the information put onto the on screen menu"

rjl75
It cannot record live FTA HD broadcast
which you will find many FTA HD wildfeeds on C-band.
If you like to search for feeds.Since it cannot record live
FTA HD feeds when they are in the clear.Makes the overpriced
advertised FTA HD PVR worthless in my opinion.Buy a 50.00
pci card and you may be alot happier.The sonicview 8000 is defiantly not a FTA HD PVR..

... they gave it their highest rating for the HD receivers.

I wonder if you searched this forum for comments on the unit?
Don't recall any specifics, but it's been discussed before.

That 'guide' they're referring to, would be from a scrambled pay-TV provider.
It's a darned shame some FTA mfgr doesn't get off his dead butt and put in a guide through a LAN port, and the internet.
Maybe using one of your computers... even that would be fine.

Since the channels we are getting FTA are usually not intended for home viewing, there is usually no guide information uplinked with them. As Iceberg noted, 99 percent of the channels we get have no guide info.

I wonder if you searched this forum for comments on the unit?
Don't recall any specifics, but it's been discussed before.

That 'guide' they're referring to, would be from a scrambled pay-TV provider.
It's a darned shame some FTA mfgr doesn't get off his dead butt and put in a guide through a LAN port, and the internet.
Maybe using one of your computers... even that would be fine.
That's why I bought my dreamboxes... now I just gotta get my lazy butt in gear and write some software to gather guide info from about 2 gazillion places to fill in the epg on the dreamboxes.

Hi,

That was going to be my next question, how much of what is being broadcast is in HD.

I wounder if GoSatellite will let me send it back unopened?

rjl75

Call them and ask. FTA is a great hobby but it isn't really a replacement for pay-tv. There is no industry rush to get more HD signals up there for us hobbyists. It might be wise to buy a cheaper receiver to start out with, get some idea of what is available.

there is more and more HD in wildfeed, to get the ful advantage you need cband and ku. wildfeeds come and go, they are there for the one show and gone.

the only ku HD channel allways on is PBS HD on 87, I think there are a few allways on HD on cband, not many though. someone else best to chime in on that, I dont have cband.

Hi,

I called GoSatellite and the man told me the best way to handle the return is to refuse the delivery and have the shipping company send it back and GoSatellite would credit my card when they received it. If I sent it back I would have to pay a 20% re-stocking fee.

I do have a Pansat 2700A, but I never knew they didn't have a menu, I just went without one, I thought. The direction book for the Pansat said to do this download but they never said what the download was for. My computer was too far from the receiver, so I could not do it, and I thought the download was the menu. Now the download can be done with a memory stick and that would have solve that problem.

rjl75

I have had the box for a couple weeks if you want to view HD wildfeeds in 420 then you are set that is if you want to watch sports or a concert or two. If you want to view a lot of HD all the time then you will need CBand and there isn't a lot but there is some.
It is a OK box but asa was noted you can't record most HD downlinks as they are too large for the program to handle. In time I hope they fix this but for now I use it to view HD sports 90% of the time.
Also the factory firmware is bad for FTA if this is your first box for FTA you will go nuts trying to make it work if you are using a motor.
I am still working on my review for it I took a couple weeks off to really use the box to see what it can do.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)