Status
Please reply by conversation.

Desertnight

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Up in the sky, out of the way
Which is the best direction to go?

Slave my SV360 Elite to my DSR922 or slave my DSR922 to the SV360 Elite?

I am currently using my Uniden analog receiver (without the VCRS module) as the dish mover. I have the lnb going directly into Tuner 1 of the SV360. I have a coaxial cable going from the Uniden to a small television (turned on, of course) to be able to see which satellite I am selecting. Simple, huh?

I have only C-band on an 8 foot mesh dish. No Ku.

If I should slave the SV360 to the DSR922, how do I connect the two together?

For example: Do I use the Tuner 1 in for the LNB? Loop Tuner 1 out to Tuner 2 IN with a coaxial cable? Then connect Tuner 2 out to the IN on the DSR922?:confused:

Or if I should slave the DSR922 to the SV360, how are those connections made?

Simple, clear directions would be greatly appreciated.

Now, as far as what would be shown on the television screen I have to explain myself first before I ask the question. It used to be that when I used only the analog receiver (before FTA) and I wanted to change satellites, I would get a blue screen on the television when I pressed CALL to select a satellite. I would select the satellite then press CALL again. The dish moved to the satellite. The blue screen disappeared and the channel showed up.

When I want to watch a program on the SV360, do I have to turn on the DSR922 to select the satellite in order to move the dish? It's my understanding that the DSR922 is on all the time even when it is off. Or will the SV360 tell the DSR922 to move the satellite?

If I do, does the choose satellite screen on the DSR922 override whatever is being viewed on the television from the SV360?

If I am watching the DSR922 and change satellites, will I find that the SV360 will have changed satellites, too?

Is a High frequency splitter recommended or does this fit into the equation? If so, which receiver gets the power pass port?

If there are any questions I've missed, ah....just go ahead and answer the questions I've missed! lol. :eek:

Thanks. :):confused:

The easiest way to slave a two receivers is with a Hi-Freq splitter. You just make sure that the splitter only allows power to pass on one side. As far as which side gets the power pass, that depends on which receiver you want to power the LNB and control polarity (assuming you have a voltage controlled LNBF).

With this setup you would have to change the polarity by changing the channel on your master receiver to a channel with the desired polarity. I found it to be easier to control polarity with my 4DTV receiver because you only needed to go up or down one channel most of the time to change polarity. It wasn't quite as easy with my SV8000. I usually had to look at lyngsat to find a channel with the polarity I wanted (at least until I had it memorized).

I eventually decided to elminate the slave on my setup and went with an orthomode C-band setup where my 4dtv moves the dish and both my fta receiver and 4dtv can get different polarities at the same time. But that also requires more cable runs and specialized switches.

abolish slavery:

The easiest way is probably what Kira outlined above.
However, there is another option and I'll mention it, just so you are informed.
...I eventually decided to elminate the slave on my setup and went with an orthomode C-band setup where my 4dtv moves the dish and both my fta receiver and 4dtv can get different polarities at the same time.
Kira uses two LNBs and a multiswitch to serve up both polarities to several receivers.
It eliminates the skew servo, in favor of a new feedhorn and dual LNBs.
That's a very effective traditional solution, and moderately priced for C-band only.

By comparison, a dual-output, voltage-switched LNBF is pretty inexpensive.
That's what I was going to suggest.
One of our Gold Sponsors, SatelliteAV is getting in a shipment of them pretty soon, so you might consider.
In that case, each output could be hooked to a different receiver.
If you needed more than two receivers, then the multiswitch could expand to four or eight receivers.

Inexpensive LNBF's are newer technology, and not always the backward compatible solution everyone desired.
I believe the forum members have found SatAV's C2 to be quite good, and very reasonable.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts