Sonicview SV-HD8000

Status
Please reply by conversation.

matheosw

Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
I have a Glorystar DVR system. I would like to add another receiver and considering the Sonicview SV-HD8000 PVR system. The main reason I am considering it is because it supports both FTA as well OTA reception and PVR functionality. Anybody has used the SV-HD8000? How good is the OTA/Satellite reception? How good is the PVR functionality? Any input is appreciated.

Regards
Matheos

Matheos
I moved this thread to the FTA section so more folks will see it. There are some good threads on the pros and cons of this receiver worth reading in the FTA area.

I have been using the HD8000 for a little over a year. The OTA function is OK, but you must use the latest factory file to get a good OTA scan, the earlier files didn't scan very well. The PVA function is flawless. I record a lot of OTA and some FTA. I'm using a 500GB Simple Tech external hard drive to store files. Caution; not all external hard drives will work, check other posts for the specific HDs that work with the Sonicview HD8000. This is a fine receiver.

I like the SV-HD8000

I have one and like it.

I would say the SV-HD8000 has some quirks but after I learned those quirks it has worked very well for me. Suggest you read this thread.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-equipment-reviews/171384-review-sonicview-sv-hd8000.html

I have only tested the OTA part and it does work. You must use the factory firmware or 4.43 in order for the OTA part to work correctly. If you don't it will not scan in the stations.

I have not used the PVR function but someone else may be able to weigh in on that.

I have found the motor control works very well.

It does do 4:2:0 but not 4:2:2 nor S2

I just had to replace two capacitors after using the receiver for about a year because the system would not boot. This is a know problem and can be corrected by replacing the C10 and C24 CAP's. Details are in the thread above.

All in all I have really enjoyed this receiver but you have learn the details about the receiver to make it do what you want it to.

If you can find one cheap on ebay or craigslist, I would do that. Many should be left over from the eye-patch folks.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)