Sony A1E.

Discussion in 'Television Sets and Projectors' started by IcEWoLF, Dec 17, 2017.

1. gadgtfreek

gadgtfreek SatelliteGuys Master
    Pub Member / Supporter

They did custom for day mode and cinema pro for night mode. Custom was calibrated in expert 2 for white balance, and CP was Expert 1. The white balance cal will map over, so the recommendation was to use Expert 2 and map over the Custom WB settings for Dolby Vision mode. I did that and watched some Altered Carbon and Bright from the ATV4K, looks dang good.

charlesrshell likes this.
  2. *** WELCOME TO SATELLITEGUYS! ***
  3. gadgtfreek

Pub Member / Supporter

Now that I am used to the kickstand, I love it even more. It looks great, and when sitting down you see nothing but a screen sitting there.

Image quality is lovely, as OLED's are known for, but the Sony has great near black processing and the motion handling is excellent. Really happy so far.I'd wager this is the best 65" display ever made.

Foxbat and teachsac like this.
  4. gadgtfreek

Pub Member / Supporter

Dark Knight UHD/HDR last night had several shots that really show off an OLED. The Armored car chase chapter was really good with police lights, head lights, fires against dark areas, and the overhead shot of the city before Dent's fundraiser was very nice.

My only complaint is I wish I could afford a 77" A1E LOL.

lakebum431 and Foxbat like this.
  5. lakebum431

lakebum431 Pub Member / Supporter
    Pub Member / Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I agree, fantastic display. I'm curious why you don't wall mount? Removes the potential for a display to tip over. Also gets it up just a little higher with to me is needed for the correct sight line with darn near every TV stand I have seen (yours may be different).

6. gadgtfreek

Pub Member / Supporter

With the kickstand, it would take you pulling it over on purpose to dump it. I think they put lead in the counterweight or something because it is shockingly heavy.

My stand is 24" tall, so my eye line is almost mid screen, so its perfect. Also, if I were to wall mount, that would put it another 24" away from me. Right now it is 8.5' from my eyes which is pretty good for a 65".

7. harshness

harshness SatelliteGuys Master

The oft-repeated theory is that when placed at the proper elevation, the screen is tilted back a bit (5 degrees). I'm wondering if a lower placement would allow for a more perpendicular view.

That said, it is probably not as noticeable as those setups that have the TV flush-mounted over a fireplace.

Those who have actually lived with the TV seem pretty universal in the idea that it isn't noticeable so the theory may be bunk.

8. gadgtfreek

Pub Member / Supporter

It could prob stand to be lower, but since the OLED's have no view angle issues, it's not any issue I can tell. You actually stop noticing it has a 5 degree angle.

Even their LCD's have a slight lean back for whatever reason.

9. harshness

harshness SatelliteGuys Master

It may have something to do with trying to minimize reflections off the glossy panels.

Separate names with a comma.

More...