Sony Announces FMP-X1 4K Media Player

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Per Sony's announcement:

The feature films included with purchase of the 4K Media Player are

Bad Teacher,
Battle: Los Angeles,
The Bridge on the River Kwai,
The Karate Kid (2010),
Salt,
Taxi Driver,
That's My Boy,
The Amazing Spider-Man,
The Other Guys and
Total Recall (2012).

Sent from my iPhone5 using SatelliteGuys

I wonder how much it will cost to add more movies in the future. Also what is the file size? They may burn through data caps pretty quick if they are 100+MB

What a mess. Sony decided to only have their player work on their panels. Hence, the player does not work with previously released panels as Sony is having to replace te HDMI board. Another reason to hate Sony.

S~

In hand. Waiting for the TV. From what I understand, it has to be plugged into HDMI4 as that is the input that is HDCP 2.2 compliant. I have heard that they external HDD storage has been activated, so the preloaded material can be offloaded.

S~

Got everything ready for tomorrow. The player is bigger than it appears in the pictures.

S~

Are the movies going to be only Sony? I assume you download the rentals?

I love the idea of 4K rentals, but limited to Sony movies only is kinda irritating. I could see where pairing this with a Sony display would be a great service.

This particular service at this time is limited to only Sony titles and is tied to Sony TVs. You have the option of renting or buying. Renting a feature seems to be 7.99. Buying seems to be around 29.99. There will be more announcements for 4K delivery at CES. I could really see VUDU doing 4K. That would be awesome.

S~

I'm surprised (possibly pleasantly) that they decided to go with UltraHD 3840x2160 as opposed to theater 4K (4096x2160).

Death to OAR!

At CES they said it will be around 120GB each movie.
It appears that if caps are enforced, "wired" broadband providers will be dropping the axe at 250GB/month.

That works out to one movie a month unless you don't use your broadband connection for anything else (in which case you could download a second movie).

I'm surprised (possibly pleasantly) that they decided to go with UltraHD 3840x2160 as opposed to theater 4K (4096x2160).

Death to OAR!
That actually required a different screen aspect ratio. That was one of the main reasons. They do accept Full 4096X2160.

S~

4096X2160 is neither 16:9 or the 2:35 advertised for the new displays by Samsung and LG. it is 256:135 or 1.9:1. It was developed to provide a setting that is sharper and less processor-intensive for downsampling to 1920 x 1080 HD. 4K HD (QHD) is exactly four times larger than 1080p, so it resizes proportionally down to 1920x1080.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)