Sony Blu Ray player

HD#1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Los Angeles
Just have a question regarding the HDMI section in the setup menu, there are 3 options which one is the one I should select, I have a Samsung 1080p DLP, thanks for any responses.

I assume you mean a setup in the Blu-ray player. Are you referring to the BDP-S300 or the PS3 or both? And what are the choices you are trying to decide between?

Its the BDP-S300 and one of the choices are Y,Pb,and some other thing cant remember. The other choices I think are R-0255 and some other code dont know what the name is unfortunately. I think its RGB- and some number after that. Thanks again

Sounds like the first one is component. Maybe someone else can help, or you can post the choices when you can.

Its the BDP-S300 and one of the choices are Y,Pb,and some other thing cant remember. The other choices I think are R-0255 and some other code dont know what the name is unfortunately. I think its RGB- and some number after that. Thanks again
Those two - YPbPr and RGB - indicate different color spaces in video and PCs, respectively.
YPbPr - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The first uses code 16 for black and 235 for white [16-235].
The second uses code 0 for black and 255 for white [0-255].
HD/BD as well as DVD and most other commecial video products are encoded using [16-235],
although JoeSp will tell you otherwise. Hence, to avoid color space conversion, it would be better to go YPbPr.

Remember, that the TV input this player will be connected to should be calibrated for [16-235], i.e. 16 represents black, 235 - white.

If you have multiple devices connected to the same HDMI connector on TV (e.g. HDMI switch with your BD player and a PC that is always using RGB), it is better to let the player do the color conversion (move black to 0) and calibrate the TV for RGB. Between the player, modern AVR and the TV, try to avoid any video manipulation done by the TV: no matter how good, it will be inferior to the same job done by the player/AVR.

Diogen.

To avoid confrontation with the all-knowing diogen, just find out what your HDTV does and match the output of the player to the HDTV. That is the easiest way to get the best picture. Then run one of the new HD calibration discs and calibrate your setup to maximize your PQ and you will be set.

I'd suggest a different approach.
Look at the specs - resolution and colorspace - of the video you want to play.
Try to avoid any conversions by any of the components in the playback chain - player, AVR, TV.
If such conversion is inevitable, let the most competent component do it.

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts