Sony HT-SS 2300

Ken11861

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Littleton, MA
I see that a lot of you buy some pretty high end sound systems, very understandable,- SO I hope I won't get beat up too badly here on this one.
But a good friend of mine has the Sony HT-SS 2300 and it sounds real good to me and it was only in the $300. - $400. range.

Would you consider that a decent sounding system?

I see that a lot of you buy some pretty high end sound systems, very understandable,- SO I hope I won't get beat up too badly here on this one.
But a good friend of mine has the Sony HT-SS 2300 and it sounds real good to me and it was only in the $300. - $400. range.

Would you consider that a decent sounding system?

Can't comment on sound quality (though I've seen some good reviews of it), but one feature that you would be missing is decoding of advanced audio (like DTS-HD MA). Not necessarily a problem if you have a Blu-ray player that can decode these audio formats internally.

Ilya is right on the reviews, seems to be a good unit. Dont worry about anyone here beating you up, only the jerks at avs have the holier than though attitude.

I see nothing wrong in buying what you can afford, upgrade when you can.

I started off when I got married with a sony HTIB and a panny 480p dvd player. Slowly worked thru things and got to where I wanted to be. I dont worry about it because there is always something more expensive that what you can afford, doesnt mean anything less about what you want.

Same with me, I can't say anything about how it sounds, but what matters is what you think. If you like the sound than that is good enough. It looks like a nice starter system, and IMO Sony = quality components for anything that I have owned in the last 15 years.

I am big on having the ability to connect many components. This unit looks like it will only accept 3 HDMI inputs and nothing else (no component or composite). As long as you don't need that capability then you should be ok.

For example my wife bought a Wii for Xmas and it cannot be hooked up by HDMI, only by composite cables that it comes with or you can upgrade it to component cables which I did (still only 480p lol). But you can always hook these items up direct to your TV set.

You don't need to spend a lot of money to get good sound. One thing you want to be sure of is not to lock yourself into not being able to upgrade when your theater system expands. There is nothing wrong with piecing a system together component by component.

S~

Very true. A problem with HTIB rcvrs is they sometimes dont have an LFE out (HTIB sub just wires in to rcvr because it has no amp) and the HTIB rcvrs are generally limited on inputs. So you always end up buying a new sub and rcvr when you want to upgrade from a HTIB.

To OP, did you buy the ss2300 ? how'd it work out im also looking for a replacement for my old SONY HTIB to play back PS3 blu-ray.

Also considering the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0015HPYEO/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance"]Sony HT7200DH Component Home Theater System - Black[/ame]

Any thoughts anyone? the 7200DH is a little out of my price range, but it seems to get good reviews for the PS3

Lots of good buys to be had in the used market. There are a lot of people out there with "upgradeitis", who are selling receivers that may be only a year or two old, that can be had for cheap.

I recall seeing a user comment on the SONY Style web site that the unit was incapable of decoding DTSMaster-HD audio format. Don't know how big a concern for the average user that would be though.

This says a lot. If anything I would buy a new seperate receiver and save for better speakers before buying a HTIB
2 of 2 people found the following review helpful:
3.0 out of 5 stars Speakers not so good, November 19, 2008
By J. Brown "Average Joe" (Dayton, OH) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
The reviews above are accurate as it relates to the reciever. I was very happy with it and the fact that is has 1080p, lots of inputs/outputs and syncs with my Sony Bravia television. The speakers and sub are not so good and I would rate them poor. I know you are getting a lot in one box for the price but if I was going to do it again I would buy pieces vs. the big box. I have a set of Polk speakers and sub upstairs and they sound much better. I moved them downstairs and don't use the Sony speakers.

Thanks yes look at the 6100 and the 7100, but with the 6100 being $100 more expensive than the ss2300 and im already struggling with the wife, a hard sell. :(

i have gone back an forth on this, also the speakers on the Onkyo are much larger ( which is not bad i know), but with the aforementioned battle, it's just another objection for me to deal with.

Thanks yes look at the 6100 and the 7100, but with the 6100 being $100 more expensive than the ss2300 and im already struggling with the wife, a hard sell. :(

i have gone back an forth on this, also the speakers on the Onkyo are much larger ( which is not bad i know), but with the aforementioned battle, it's just another objection for me to deal with.

Then I'd buy in pieces. Start with what you need first. Look for refurbs. No sense spending your budget on mediocrity. Spend in sections wisely. for quality.

Then I'd buy in pieces.

That's always my approach to audio, no offense to the OP, but I have zero interest in HTIB units for several reasons:
1) the component approach, while costly, will yield better quality since I'm making the choices
2) there's more flexibility when usng the component approach.
3) any time you find a part of your setup lacking, it's only that part you're replacing
I can understand that some are intimidated by that approach, but there's are rewards to it HTIB won't yield.

well i got this receiver as it was in my price range and i can now listen to the Blue-Ray movies with the surround sound. It works just great, comparable to my previous HTIB, which is what i was looking for, slimline and nice looking. Also cuts down on the number of cables and boxes i need.
Only minor gripe was i had to buy new speaker stands and ceiling mounts, but did that for $35 so still was a good buy in these hard times.

Thanks all for your feedback.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts