Sony might be cutting their Blu-ray Prices

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
TG Daily - Sony could be cutting their Blu-ray player prices by $100

Los Angeles (CA) – Blu-ray player prices could be trending lower, much lower, according to the folks at Videobusiness.com. They report anonymous sources saying the Sony BDP-S350 Blu-ray player will hit $299 by the end of this month.

Videobusiness.com says the normally $399 player will have $100 shaved off the retail price in the next few weeks. This price cut would put the player with the popular $300 to $500 price range. According to NPD Group research, this price range dominates 85% of Blu-ray unit sales.

They still have a ways to go.... I hate lack of competition as corporate jackasses hold back progress.
You must be new to the cheerzone. Or you'd have known to say anything anti BD will unleash a snotty string of attack posts against you. Cheer Cheer Cheer!!!!

What a joke for them say the $300- $500 range. Try $400 to $700.

Its ridiculous that people, who spend $1500-$3000 on a HDTV, ***** about a $300 player.
If that $1500 investment broke the bank in this tight economy how the ell can some of us be so presumptuous as to cry about other peoples spending preferences.

Last edited:
What a joke for them say the $300- $500 range. Try $400 to $700.

Current prices from authorized B&M dealers only. Stores include BB, CC, Frys, Target, Walmart, Sears, RCWilley, and Amazon. Amazon prices noted where applicable. Only current 1.1 and 2.0 players listed.

Insignia: $229
Magnavox: $278
Sam 1500: $299 B&M $279 Amazon
Olevia: $299
Sylvania: $279
Pan BD30: $299 B&M $288 Amazon
Phillips: $349
Sony S350: $399 B&M $338 Amazon
Sony PS3 (80GB): $399
LG BD300: $399
Sam 2500/50: $499
Pan BD50: $599 B&M $521 Amazon
Pioneer 51: $599 $498 Amazon
Pioneer 05: $799
Yamaha 2900: $999
Denon 2500: $999 B&M $874 Amazon
Denon 3800: $1999 B&M $1849 Amazon
Marantz 8002: $1999 B&M $1849 Amazon

S~

Teachsac: There you go again, disturbing religiously held convictions of the "higher truth" with unimportant facts. ;)

Current prices from authorized B&M dealers only. Stores include BB, CC, Frys, Target, Walmart, Sears, RCWilley, and Amazon. Amazon prices noted where applicable. Only current 1.1 and 2.0 players listed.

S~
Hooray!! @party:bow All HAIL Blu RAY!!! :D

Teachsac: There you go again, disturbing religiously held convictions of the "higher truth" with unimportant facts. ;)

You know me.... I've always been format neutral and didn't take FUD from either side.

S~

Good luck with your new TV and BD player for you bedroom. I'm waiting for mine to come in (Hitachi 47x902 Ultrathin Director's Series) as my daughter took the XBR4 to Stanford. I've done a couple of 42" installs. Superb.

S~

TG Daily - Sony could be cutting their Blu-ray player prices by $100

Los Angeles (CA) – Blu-ray player prices could be trending lower, much lower, according to the folks at Videobusiness.com. They report anonymous sources saying the Sony BDP-S350 Blu-ray player will hit $299 by the end of this month.

Videobusiness.com says the normally $399 player will have $100 shaved off the retail price in the next few weeks. This price cut would put the player with the popular $300 to $500 price range. According to NPD Group research, this price range dominates 85% of Blu-ray unit sales.
As far as the original post, this was already discussed last month in this thread

http://www.satelliteguys.us/blu-ray...er-pricing-september-other-makers-follow.html

S~
Take the average price of the players you listed under $1000 and its $482 B&M or $457 Amazon. That’s giving you the benefit of not factoring in the $2000 players. So I firmly stand by my statement $400-$700. So much for ya higher truth and unimportant facts and all that crap.

You also failed to go into detail about the features or lack there of for the lower priced players, the Pan BD30 stood out in particular as not being able to internally decode HD codec’s, which takes away half the HD experience.

The DMP-BD30 has no internal decoding for Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, or DTS-HD Master Audio. This lack of internal decoding is particularly disappointing because the older DMP-BD10A itself offered internal decoding for all of these formats
CNET

Take the average price of the players you listed under $1000 and its $482 B&M or $457 Amazon. That’s giving you the benefit of not factoring in the $2000 players. So I firmly stand by my statement $400-$700. So much for ya higher truth and unimportant facts and all that crap.

You also failed to go into detail about the features or lack there of for the lower priced players, the Pan BD30 stood out in particular as not being able to internally decode HD codec’s, which takes away half the HD experience.

CNET

You need to redo your Math. Rounding up to the nearest 10 comes to 7740/16=421. Of those 16 players 10 are under 400.

Choose a new quote as your CNET quote is not accurate. The BD10 may have internal decoders, but it never has decoded DTS Master, nor will it ever.

While I care for audio more than most on this forum, J6P could really care less. They will plug their player into their TV (Like they do their DVD player, cablebox etc.).

S~

You need to redo your Math. Rounding up to the nearest 10 comes to 7740/16=421. Of those 16 players 10 are under 400.

Choose a new quote as your CNET quote is not accurate. The BD10 may have internal decoders, but it never has decoded DTS Master, nor will it ever.

While I care for audio more than most on this forum, J6P could really care less. They will plug their player into their TV (Like they do their DVD player, cablebox etc.).

S~
Care to try your math again, my public high school education taught me that 7740/16= $483.75 I think all that rounding was a little to much for you to handle. Baby steps.

Now tell me how $483 is not inline with my statement? And by god stop making excuses for the BD30. Oh and Cnet is accurate I cut the paragraph short for brevity.

You are correct on the 483. I am man enough to admit when I made a mistake and will not make a backhanded slap when doing it. As with averages in any product, there are enough products on either sides to satisfy consumers. A few products can drive up an average price. 10/16 players under 400 dollars and 6 under 300 shows a significant drop. In two years, prices for players have dropped on average by more than 50%. SDDVD did not make that drastic of a drop for more than 5 years. Until about 2004, Tuesday deals on new releases were 19.99 otherwise best deals were 24.99 after the first week. everything will get there. Problem with this generation is they want everything now and at dirt cheap prices.

I do not need to make excuses for the BD30. It has served my needs, my costumers needs, and users on this and other forums needs very well. The only excuses I see are coming off of your keyboard for not getting into BD. Electronics evolves quickly. We have gone from receivers supporting stereo, to ProLogic, to DD, to DD and DTS, and now TrueHD/DTSMAster are the norm for HT receivers in about ten or so years. CE companies look at the development lifespan of the average HT receiver (not separates) at 2-3 years max. Why do you think Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer come out with whole new lines every year. You would be hard pressed to to find a decent receiver without these features now. For those of us that are truly into audio, we are finally being offered some separates with advanced audio from Parasound, Rotel, Krell, etc. I would rather have a receiver do any and all audio processing of audio as they will more than likely have better DACS and be able to handle any and all processes in BM correctly. Why would anyone want to have a piece of video equipment handle audio? That is not their job. Similar to having a receiver upscale and process video. Stick with what you are good at.

This will be my last response to you in this forum. You have been allowed to troll and I will be following everyone else and simply ignoring you. You may have fooled the mods into reinstating your ban, but the rest of us were not. You are simply seeking attention here for your personal agenda. If it applies to you it is correct, everyone else is wrong. Perhaps we will meet in other forums, but not this one until you can show some maturity and start adding something beneficial to this forum.

S~

Last edited:
You are correct on the 483. I am man enough to admit when I made a mistake and will not make a backhanded slap when doing it. As with averages in any product, there are enough products on either sides to satisfy consumers. A few products can drive up an average price. In two years, prices for players have dropped on average by more than 50%. SDDVD did not make that drastic of a drop for more than 5 years. Until about 2004, Tuesday deals on new releases were 19.99. They will get there.

I do not need to make excuses for the BD30. It has served my needs, my costumers needs, and users on this and other forums needs very well. The only excuses I see are coming off of your keyboard for not getting into BD.

This will be my last response to you in this forum. You have been allowed to troll and I will be following everyone else and simply ignoring you. You may have fooled the mods way into reinstating your ban, but the rest of us were not. You are simply seeking attention here for your personal agenda. If it applies to you it is correct, everyone else is wrong. Perhaps we will meet in other forums, but not this one until you can show some maturity and start adding something beneficial to this forum.

S~

Well said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts