Sony now says they won't fix PS3 1080i upconversion problem!

hpman247

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sony, Arrogantly, Says They will fix 720p Downconversion Problems

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/news/?id=14518

"A small number of older High Definition television sets found in the United States only have 1080i inputs for HD signals. Those televisions will currently only play some PS3 titles at 480p resolution. PS3 games render images at either 720p or 1080p for High Definition, and you need 720p input on the TV to play select games that do not support 1080p. This is an issue on the side of the individual television sets, which do not accept 720p input, so when a game outputs an HD signal only at 720p, these select TVs have to display the game at 480p instead."

Sony is making it sound like the problem is of the TV. It's not the TV's fault. It is theirs, and even though this does not affect me, I am glad to see thay are fixing it.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/news/?id=14518

"A small number of older High Definition television sets found in the United States only have 1080i inputs for HD signals. Those televisions will currently only play some PS3 titles at 480p resolution. PS3 games render images at either 720p or 1080p for High Definition, and you need 720p input on the TV to play select games that do not support 1080p. This is an issue on the side of the individual television sets, which do not accept 720p input, so when a game outputs an HD signal only at 720p, these select TVs have to display the game at 480p instead."

Sony is making it sound like the problem is of the TV. It's not the TV's fault. It is theirs, and even though this does not affect me, I am glad to see thay are fixing it.

The ironic part here is MANY of those set are Sony sets as there 1080i highscan line of HDTV's was a big seller.

Hpman, when some of those older RPTV sets came out it was not clear that 720p would be used much. However, FOX changed that. First they tried to do a 480p widescreen and call that HDTV. The FCC made them stop advertising it that way and then FOX decided on 720p.

Those early HDTV adopters made sets that upconverted from 480i & 480p to 1080i and they totally ignored the 720p signal. Heck even Sony did this as my first RPTV was a Sony 57"XBR that could not except a 720p signal. So if I had kept that set I would not be able to watch FOX unless my settop either downrezed to 480p so the set could upconvert or upconvert the output to 1080i. Initially this was down both ways!

When 720p started being used OTA most manufacturers decided to support 720p by accepting the signal and upconverting that signal to 1080i on their RPTVs. My Pioneer 58" Elite does that. I have found that no settop box from any company does a better job of upgrading a 720p signal to 1080i then my Pioneer does. In fact, I have a Denon 3910 that I am not sure does a better job of upconverting then my Pioneer (but that is only with DVDs).

As we all know LCDs and DLPs started taking over the market about two years ago. And what was their resolution--720p! In fact, just over the last 6 months have we been seeing a move by these products to 1080p! In 2004 there were 2 1080p products sold and neither excepted a 1080p signal. Many more were produced in 2005 that did not accept a 1080p signal. Should Sony be blasted because their 1080p signal cannot be accepted by those first 1080p products?

So is Sony responsible for manufactures ignoring the 720p resolution mode? NO
Is Sony responsible for certain 1080p sets that do not accept the 1080p signal? NO
Should Sony have provide a way for the PS3 to upconvert a signal if 720p acceptance was not found? YES
Are they going to do anything to provide 1080i output on 720p games? YES
Should the game manufacture be held somewhat responsible? YES

At some point old technology must go away. Call me in 2008 and tell me if you can find a NTSC tv. Heck, call me if you can find a HD RPTV. Those old HD RPTVs were purchased by early adopters -- who have or will shortly move on to newer technolology ( I personally am waiting for Toshiba's SED:eek: ). And Sony's new PS3 really is designed for tomorrows new technology (HDMI 1.3 makes certain of that).

What we have here is a change of technologies that we are in the middle of and Sony got caught up in ignoring the older tech of the new wave. So slap their hands and let them step up and apply the fix. At least they admit their error and are willing to correct it. What else could you ask for?:)

Actually, I just picked up a new CRT RP. Its still the best 1080i technology out there, and no bulbs to replace. I was tempted by the new Sonys, but they're just too expensive for me right now.

Anyways, even though ABC, FOX & ESPN all do 720p, I've never seen a cable box or OTA tuner box that didn't convert it to 1080i. It was idiotic for the PS3 not to include that feature.

-John

Brewer4, if you have OTA HD set your settop box to 720p and tune into Fox or ABC. If your sets show the signal then your set can receive a 720p signal and the set upconverts to 1080i. I would rather have my Pioneer Elite do the upconversion -- it will do a better job and hopefully yours will too!:)

Brewer4, if you have OTA HD set your settop box to 720p and tune into Fox or ABC. If your sets show the signal then your set can receive a 720p signal and the set upconverts to 1080i. I would rather have my Pioneer Elite do the upconversion -- it will do a better job and hopefully yours will too!:)

Not sure I follow. My 2 TV's only do 480p and 1080i so the signal from the receiver or game machine must be set at one of those settings. From what I read, it sounded like the PS3 wont output at 1080i which means I can not watch HD on my TV's at some sort of HD. My XBox 360's output at 1080i and look great. I know they are 720p signals but at least the XBox convert it to 1080i so my TV's can view HD.

Not sure I follow. My 2 TV's only do 480p and 1080i so the signal from the receiver or game machine must be set at one of those settings. From what I read, it sounded like the PS3 wont output at 1080i which means I can not watch HD on my TV's at some sort of HD. My XBox 360's output at 1080i and look great. I know they are 720p signals but at least the XBox convert it to 1080i so my TV's can view HD.
Correct for the most part. The PS3 can output 1080i, but only games that are written for 1080i. Several PS3 games are 720p only, so they do not output 1080i. So for your TVs, they will be 480p.

-John

Brewer4, if your sets are recent, even if they don't display 720p does not mean that they cannot receive and upconvert a 720p signal. You have to try inputing a 720p signal to know if your set will accept a 720p signal and upconvert. As I have said in previous posts, over the last 2 years almost all HDTVs can process a 720p signal wheather they can display in 720p or have to upconvert to 1080i. I hope this helps.

As long as they fix it it's fine. Xbox360's launch had a lot more problems hardware wise.And the backward compability was like %10 and in the PS3's case it's %95.

Brewer4, if your sets are recent, even if they don't display 720p does not mean that they cannot receive and upconvert a 720p signal. You have to try inputing a 720p signal to know if your set will accept a 720p signal and upconvert. As I have said in previous posts, over the last 2 years almost all HDTVs can process a 720p signal wheather they can display in 720p or have to upconvert to 1080i. I hope this helps.

Sorry, they definately do not do 720p. Its sad to see that the PS3 cant do all games at 1080i. I would be pretty bummed if I ran a game and it came out at 480P after spending $700.

Sorry, they definately do not do 720p. Its sad to see that the PS3 cant do all games at 1080i. I would be pretty bummed if I ran a game and it came out at 480P after spending $700.
Ah, but the great Sony has deemed your TVs outdated, and so you shall purchase two new Sony 1080p HDTVs. :rolleyes:

-John

Brewer4, can you list the model number of the two sets you are talking about?

Mine happens to be one of them.

I have a 2004 Wega 30" widescreen Sony. It will not display 720p.

I did a search on Amazons site for your tv and guess what? It does do upconversion of 720p to 1080i! How about that!

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KV-30HS4.../B0002F7I9O/ref=de_a_smtd/002-2323350-0253650

"Line doubling: Yes (720p to 1080i upconversion using Hi-Scan technology)"

A quote from the tech specs on your HDTV. Now if this is not your HDTV please post the model number and I will look up specs for you. Now you can get the PS3 and not worry about what your HDTV will do. Hope this was helpful. :)

Last edited:
http://www.playstatic.com/news/205

"Sony has contacted us to let us know that they may have spoken a bit prematurely. SCEA’s Dave Karraker, Sr. Director, Corporate Communications, informed GameDaily BIZ that they currently cannot confirm that this 1080i issue will be resolved via a firmware patch. The official line is now that they are “looking into the issue and haven’t stated any actions that will be taken regarding it.” "

Unbelievable. Guess I'll never own a PS3, since I don't want to play games at 480p.

-John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts