Sony STR-DG710 Help

2x10

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I purchased this receiver just to cut down on wires so I could move my TV around the room.

I connected the HDMI out the my TV and I can get VIDEO and audio thru TV only. Can't get the receiver to work.

Then I hooked up X-box and Dish 622 to component inputs and cannot get either audio or video. I tried using the optical input as well with no success.

I read the manual and it's quite confusing.

If there is anyone out there that can help me, please!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!!!

I can help I had it for a while (Although 5.1 audio does not work over HDMI so you are warned in advance)

Do you have the receiver hooked up to speakers? If so then what you want to do is first make sure that you have the right speaker selection (a/b) and then make sure that your cables match (if you have optical with video 1 make sure video 1 has video inputs.) Also the receiver will only output component in to component out and hdmi in to hdmi out. It will not cross feeds (i.e. hdmi -> component or component -> hdmi)

Yes I have the speakers hooked up. Not sure how to select A/B Speakers and sorry, but I am confused about the component in out thing.

I have Xbox hooked up to component in
Dish 622 hooked up to HDMI in (works thru TV only & I tried with component in (no luck)
HDMI out to TV.

If I am reading right, If the cable running from the HDMI out to TV is HDMI, then all component "ins" will not be sent to TV cause they are not HDMI.

Is this True??

The reason they make HDMI out supposedly is to eliminate wires!

Thanks for the response and future help

If I am reading right, If the cable running from the HDMI out to TV is HDMI, then all component "ins" will not be sent to TV cause they are not HDMI.

Is this True??

The reason they make HDMI out supposedly is to eliminate wires!

Not sure about yours, but if anything like my older Sony STR, the different video signal flavors are on separate buses, i.e. HDMI and component would be on separate buses and are not compatible with each other.

You would need to have the HDMI from the AVR going to the HDMI input on the TV, and component going from the AVR to the component input on the TV. You then need to select the proper video input on the TV to match the source from the AVR.

HDMI CAN eliminate wires since it can carry video and audio with one cable.

I guess you get what you pay for. I realize now that HDMI in to the TV only feeds components that are hooked up via HDMI.

This receiver does not eliminate wires for me cause I only have one component supported via HDMI. All others are component which means 6 cables running through my house

My Onkyo 674 runs circles around this thing. I only paid $100 more for it.

Thanks guys for your feedback