Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
The U.S. version is not yet announced, but it will sell for just £5,500 in the UK (which is well under $9,000) - a very significant price drop from the previous 4K model.

Here are some reviews:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-vpl-vw300es-review
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...jection-gets-cheap-sony-vpl-vw300es-hands-on/

What's missing compared to the higher priced VW500ES/VW600ES models?
1500 lumens vs. 1700, no dynamic iris, no lens memory, and it's 8 bits only (4:2:0). Otherwise a superb, well-rounded 4K projector!

Last edited:
I believe that 8 bit limitation is at 4k 60P. I have been drooling over the big brother one, but the HDMI chip set is 10gbit/sec, next year they should get the full 20gbit/sec which would allow 4:4:4 color. Of course just because the cable can carry 4:4:4 it does not mean that the projector can do it.

On another note I am interesting in upgrading one of my projectors. I wonder what the US price for this one would be. The street price for its big brother is 10k, too much for me...

According to the manual, it's for all 4k modes, including 24p.

Sounds like a limitation of the projector then... Too bad, but then again it is still pretty new stuff. In 5 years 4:4:4 capable 4k projectors will probably be numerous...

One cool brand new feature in this model:

Low Latency Mode
A new feature for gamers. Experience our fastest ever response time between your controller and the screen for ultimate gaming action.

Now, here is the question: how do I play Netflix 4k on this projector?

Actually, it looks like the Sony FMP-X10 4K media player does support Netflix! Great! Now, if they will add Amazon, we'll be all set!

Unfortunately this is still a bad time to buy a 4k projector. The new chipsets have just been announced (i.e. going into production) to do full bandwidth HDMI 2.0, and have not made it into any product. I bet there will be a big splash of new products next fall when BD 4k/UHD comes out with the new chip sets. Maybe this is why they are not releasing this projector into the US.

Yeah, I am thinking next year, perhaps next Holiday season 2015 will be the time for me to finally get a new PJ.
I am surprised that Sony is the only one with 4K projectors for such a long time.
The good news though is that Sony keeps lowering prices even without any pressure from the competition.
But I am still waiting to hear what Epson and others have to say. Hopefully in a couple of months, at CES...

Seems I read this projector will be sold in US around February or March.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Seems I read this projector will be sold in US around February or March.

There was a post over at avsforum saying that, but nothing official from Sony.

Sony does seem to be lowering the prices, not the MSRP, but the street price of the other projectors seems to be dropping.

Well my old (2007) model projector is giving up the ghost, egads, I needed it to last another year or two! So, I bought a Sony VPL-HW40ES to hold me over. I got a good price through AVScience. I really wanted to wait a year or 2 for 4k, now it looks like I will wait 3 years to get my money's worth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)