Sony XBR-65X850A Review

Been doing a lot of reading on Sony's. I was not aware Sony's do not have an actual CMS adjustment, but it seems they track color very well from the factory, so Sony is doing a good job there. It also seems Sony has adopted the 2.4 gamma standard over the last couple of years, so their upper tier models are a 2.4 from the factory as well. Sony really has their stuff together it seems.

The color is pretty accurate out of the box. However, the panels are mediocre at tracking when moving off angle. Better than Sharp, but worse than Samsung.

S~

Yeah, Ive read they werent the best for off angle watching. My wife and I sit directly out about 12.5 feet. The people that come over for fball during the fall arent the type that would even notice off angle issues LOL.

As long as the source is good, it is really good. Comcast signal in my area is outstanding. Garbage in = garbage out.

S~

Just kidding. It's a tad more than 10 feet. I'd like it a little closer, but it's in my bedroom so that's where it goes. I can see a difference in PQ between the 4K Sony and Panasonic 65VT25 it replaced. Funny thing though it appears slightly smaller. Go figure.

S~

Been doing a lot of reading on Sony's. I was not aware Sony's do not have an actual CMS adjustment, but it seems they track color very well from the factory, so Sony is doing a good job there. It also seems Sony has adopted the 2.4 gamma standard over the last couple of years, so their upper tier models are a 2.4 from the factory as well. Sony really has their stuff together it seems.
I actually redid Gamma to 2.2 and right now I'm preferring it. More pop and detail, especially in dark scenes.

S~

In the bedroom we always have the lights off. We can never see the bezel. Just one of those optical illusions. Kind of like my 80" downstairs seems tilted, but it's perfectly level on the stand.

S~

Just hooked up the X10 media player to my 850a. Works like a charm. NF 4K works great. Only four movies right now (Ghostbusters, Philadelphia, Hitch, and Smurfs 2). A few relaxing visual 25 minute shorts. Only problem is the movies I got with my X1 aren't viewable on my X10. I'll need to call them tomorrow.

S~

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)