*Brilliant color with TRILUMINOS
*Dynamic Edge LED backlight
*Built-in Wi-Fi
*Feature films in true 4K resolution only from Sony
*1-year of Netflix® and Hulu Plus™
*4 Pairs of 3D Glasses (Active)
*18 Month Warranty

Specs:

http://store.sony.com/sony-65-class...850A/cat-27-catid-Collections-65-Inch-XBR-TVs

Setup: This is in my bedroom. Stand attached easily. TIVO, Comcast, and Sony BD-S790 player run into a Denon 2112 (non 4K) and out to TV HDMI1. Sony FMP-X1 4K Media Device runs Video from HDMI1 into HDMI4 of the set. Audio out of X1 from HDMI 2 to receiver. Speakers BG Radia Planar Riboon Bookshelves. Easy setup was easy, but I did need to reset the time for some reason. Sony has stuck with their toolbar menu. It does look nicer than the Sony BDP-S790 menu, though.

Settings: Out of the box it was set on Auto. That means Normal for TV viewing and Cinema when a 24 Hz signal is detected. The average user will be pleased out of the box. I set mine on Cinema. There are two settings, Cinema 1 and Cinema 2. Cinema 1 is a little darker. I prefer Cinema 2. Pulled out the DVE. Black and contrast weren't too bad. A little high. Edit: After a couple of days of viewing, I needed to redo the brightness/backlighting. I was noticing the typical blue tint/haze of an LED. I did one of my old tricks I used to use with component. I put on a B&W movie with black side bars to adjust the backlighting, brightness, and contrast. Ended up with backlighting at 7, brightness at 42, and contrast/picture at 89. Haze and tint gone. Color setting to Warm 1, and absolutely all processing off. I did not adjust color, tint, etc. Picture is actually quite pleasant, and I'm not sure I will do a calibration. No evidence of clipping or crushing in any video mode. Off angle, the panel tracks well. Black is very consistent from side to side. Put the DVE disc back in and patterns were fine. This method does put it very much closer to an ISF night mode. No visible clouding. You can notice a slight flashlight/light in the corners when off-angle. On angle is not noticeable.

Apps: The 850 supports all of the basic apps through the Sony Entertainment Network. It doesn't look like it supports 3D through Netflix. At least I don't have the 3D Genre tab like on my BDT230. It does support profiles. I cannot get Sony to send/receive my e-mail to get the 1 year free promo for Netflix and Hulu+

General Television Viewing: I've spent a couple of days stuck in bed unable to walk without pain, so I've done a little viewing. Once I got the backlight/brightness balanced viewing has been absolutely spectacular. I have Xfinity Comcast. It has the best picture quality of any provider I've been with. Watched quite a bit of basketball and bowl games on ESPN. The picture looks fantastic. Even TNT, TBS and FX, which have been known to suffer on various services looks great. No clouding, nice blacks, and colors pop.

BD Viewing: Running my Sony S790 with my system. I watched RED2 on BD the other night. If I thought the cable looked nice, Blu-rays look even better. I have seen absolutely no banding on anything. Picture was absolutely perfect.

3D Blu-ray: I watched The Wolverine on Blu-ray last night. Whether or not it deserved the 3D treatment is a different discussion. The 3D glasses are Active Bluetooth. They feel kind of flimsy, but they are very light and comfortable. Here is where I was shocked. Throughout the movie, beginning, and end credits I saw absolutely no ghosting. I have never not seen ghosting to some extent at least on opening credits and studio logos.

Video Unlimited 4K: Watched my first UHD title tonight "The Amazing Spiderman". I've seen it twice, but both times in 3D. The 4k video was clean, crisp, and the colors popped. I was very impressed. The 5.1 channel audio shook the house at the right times, and dialogue was crystal clear.

S~

Last edited:
Not too bad out of the box. No visible clouding, light bleed or crease like my last Sony 820. Now I need to find time to get a basic calibration done so I can write up my review. Also need to set up my new account to access the 4K movies. Samples looked terrific. The player paired with the TV without any problems. Updates went without a hitch.

S~

Last edited:
I'm interested in your impressions of up-converted HD material. I recently saw the 65" Samsung 4K displaying HD satellite material and it was awful.

Watching normal cable, I am impressed with the upconversion. Only thing my dad said was, "Wow!"

S~

It'll probably be tomorrow when I do my user review. Anyways. Watched The Clippers/Warriors game last night and all I can say is :grinbounce: Got my FMP-X1 officially activated this morning and watched a little bit of Battle:Los Angeles, and all I can say is :everybodydance: Going to watch Spideerman tonight and include it in my review.

S~

Also, how is the view angle? Improved any?

My problem is my living room is a rectangle, about 12 by 24. The display and our chairs are on the long walls, so several seated positions for guests are off axis. When considering a display this year, the only one I was going to watch was what Samsung did with their 2014 plasma's.

Don't know of u have done it yet but the update for hdmi 2.0 is available for download did it with mine the other day now just have to hope they will start broadcasting 4k sometime this century

I've done enough viewing in all modes to update my user review. I'll be adding through out the day. Ask away.

S~

65X850a Settings

Basic:

Picture Mode: Cinema 2
Backlight: 6
Picture (Contrast): 86
Brightness: 48
Color: 54
Hue (Tint): 0
Color Temp: Warm 2
Sharpness: 50
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Dot Noise Reduction: Off
Reality Creation: Off (Auto when watching M4K BDs)
Motionflow: Off (True Cinema is pretty good, too)
Cinemotion: Off

Advanced:

Black Corrector: Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Gamma: -2
LED Dynamic Control: Standard (Local dimming setting)
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
White Balance:
R-Gain: -2
G-Gain: 0
B-Gain: -2
R-Bias: -3
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: 0
Detail Enhancer: Off
Edge Enhancer: Off
Skin Naturalizer: Off
Display Speed Preference: Off

Preference:
Scene Select Sync: Off
Light Sensor: Off

S~

Good. If you are doing it yourself or have someone that can, try BT 1886. It takes black level into account, so instead of being flat 2.4, especially down low, its a slope to the displays ability.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)