Soon To Be Voomer

jmartinacevedo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Hello all:
Glad to be here. Great forum.

I ordered service on 4/28 and installation is scheduled on 5/8. Currently, I have Comcast Cable with the HD local channels, InDemand HD, plus HBO. However, since taking delivery of my new Sony KF-42WE610, I have this insatiable appetite for additional HD content. Hence VOOM.

Until recently, I was considering adding D* or E* simply to be able to get the Fox News Channel. If you can believe it, Comcast of Middletown, Connecticut, does not carry the FNC and have no immediate plans to carry it. It is my favorite news outlet and it's been driving me crazy not to have it. (At least I get to listen to it in my car through my XM receiver).

In any event, I decided to made the move to VOOM when I discovered, two days ago, that FNC has been just added to the SD lineup. That did it for me. (However, I'll still keep Comcast expanded basic for the rest of the TVs in the house and my in-laws apartment.)

As noted, I was considering D* or E* (both of which I've been a subscriber to, at some point in the past) and, in the end, even signed up for the DISH through SBC, my phone service provider. Obviously, I wound up cancelling the order and going with VOOM.

My question is as follows. Before I had canceled the DISH, the installer came by the house to scope out the location for the DISH. Couple days later he called us to tell us that we would not have been able to get a clear line of sight to the Dish Network's satellite anyway, due to the presence of some trees. His concern was that, once the trees grow leaves, there would have been a good chance that we would have lost the signal. (In my prior house, we also had trees in the same general direction and were able to get both the E* and D* signals- In our new house, we actually are at the top of a hill and, yes, while there are trees, they are somewhat "thin" and there is a reasonably clear line of sight to the southern sky.)

Now I am concerned that the VOOM guy will deliver the same bad news. I guess my query is, in general terms, does the VOOM satellite point substantially in the same direction than the DISHNETWORK'S, so that the trees also could block the VOOM signal?

I realize there are no guarantees but I will appreciate your comments nonetheless.

Thanks!
Martin-

Voom is at 61.5... from most locations that's south/southeast. For me in CT, it is at 178 and 40 elevation.

61.5 for me was substantially different than the DirecTV phase 3 dish (101, 110, 119). If you have a problem with LOS for Dish, you may not have the problem with Voom, since the locations are different.

I was thinking the same thing you are...I figured I didn't have a good LOS at 61.5 because of trees. Well, here I am Vooming along!

You can also go to Dish Network and download the Azimuth calculator, put in your zipcode and select 61.5 and it will give you the azimuth and elevation for your location.

Good luck.

Thanks!

Thank you - the picture was very helpful - I think I'm going to be OK!
Will keep you posted
Martin-

For those on the east coast it's a godsend, the voom sat, @61.5 it's the highest elevation of all,(about 40 deg) which can get you over trees(unless they are right up against your house)

range,

I agreed the dish orientation is excellent for us east coasters. VOOM is the only service I can stick on my roof. At 42 degrees elevation, VOOM clears the treeline, whereas Dish and DirecTV both require a pole mount stuck right in the middle of my front yard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)