Sorry Dish, It's a No-Go For Me

I'm sorry Dish is making you all switch to the Hopper and Joey. If only you could just stay with what you have.
You keep missing the point. The Hopper is latest, best technology and a lot of us want one but because Dish is run by ***-holes we have to change/lose our RV service or pass on the latest, best technology. And so far they seem to be saying "there isn't enough money in the world for us to let you do what you want. Live with it or go away".

What the heck are you talking about? The OP made no mention of an RV. A completly different concern. It's plain Dish is not allowing mixing on one account of VIP and Hopper services at this time. You can't wait to see how things shake out on that?

Scott Greczkowski said:
Another thing you would lose is your recordings on your 211 since the EHD format is not compatable with the Hopper system.

Sounds to me like you are better off staying where you are.

I thought you could connect your current EHD to Hopper and not lose those recordings. Is that not the case?

What DISH should do is allow ONE ViP receiver per account if you have a Hopper/Joey system. That would take care of the tailgater.

With a VIP receiver yes it's compatible with the Hopper, the 211 is not compatible with anything else.

What DISH should do is allow ONE ViP receiver per account if you have a Hopper/Joey system. That would take care of the tailgater.
It appears at this time no, they are sticking to it, but who knows after a period of time. Speculation is this cuts down on possible account stacking, and in the case of an RV, cuts down on having the distants being watched in the home. I'm betting that was something Dish was made keenly aware of when they were allowed to give Distants to the RV's.

I thought you could connect your current EHD to Hopper and not lose those recordings. Is that not the case?
You can connect a VIP DVR 612/622/722/722k/922 EHD to the Hopper and it should recognize it, just as you can move an EHD between those receivers today.

The VIP 211/211k is a different beast and cannot be used with the Hopper or moved to any other existing VIP DVR.

What the heck are you talking about? The OP made no mention of an RV. A completly different concern. It's plain Dish is not allowing mixing on one account of VIP and Hopper services at this time. You can't wait to see how things shake out on that?
I didn't take your comment only directed at the OP. Possibly I'm too sensitive to comments that imply complainers should shut up. If that's not what you meant then I'm sorry for the mini-rant.

I'm sorry Dish is making you all switch to the Hopper and Joey. If only you could just stay with what you have.

Was this type of sarcasm really warranted here?? All I see here are Dish subs detailing why the H/J setup as its currently configured is not for them. No one threatening to switch to another provider, etc. It's just another attempt to silence the doubters I guess....

I didn't take your comment only directed at the OP. Possibly I'm too sensitive to comments that imply complainers should shut up. If that's not what you meant then I'm sorry for the mini-rant.

Hey, no problem.

And as for all the complaining (and it is a lot) some of us are doing about the VIP/Hopper situation, Dish didn't have to do it make that policy at all. And they didn't they have to put it out at CES long before anyone can talk one on one with a CSR.

Another words "Don't Get Mad at Me! They Started It!";)

Was this type of sarcasm really warranted here?? All I see here are Dish subs detailing why the H/J setup as its currently configured is not for them. No one threatening to switch to another provider, etc. It's just another attempt to silence the doubters I guess....

It's more of it's yet another thread about each individual's circumstance as to why they won't get it. There could be hundreds of threads as to why people are going to get it and I would say something similar. I thought because it was a different thread there was some new twist that Dish wasn't going to let the OP get it based on the title and I wanted to see why.
I do agree, no one threatened to switch....... good point.

And as for all the complaining (and it is a lot) some of us are doing about the VIP/Hopper situation, Dish didn't have to do it make that policy at all. And they didn't they have to put it out at CES long before anyone can talk one on one with a CSR.

Another words "Don't Get Mad at Me! They Started It!";)
Lol

It's more of it's yet another thread about each individual's circumstance as to why they won't get it. There could be hundreds of threads as to why people are going to get it and I would say something similar. I thought because it was a different thread there was some new twist that Dish wasn't going to let the OP get it based on the title and I wanted to see why.
I do agree, no one threatened to switch....... good point.

Exactly, none of us have threatened to switch. However, maybe if enough people "complain" about the issue then maybe Dish might rethink their stance or figure out a way to meet us in the middle. The simple fact that the installation instructions have the setup as an option (VIP/Hopper/Joey) means that Dish is capable of making it work. Dish reads the threads so if it takes some complaints to get them to change then I think it is worth it, along with others, to write their opinions. In fact maybe we should start a poll, so that Dish may see clearly how unhappy we all are that we should pay them double just to use a receiver occasionally or a few times a year.

I enjoy Dish, but I like others, aren't willing to take the plunge and lose a VIP or two. Sure they use stacking as the reason, but it doesn't add up and sounds like another opportunity for Dish to make another profit off of loyal subscribers. Hopefully, Dish is listening...

Respectfully,
Josh D.

My current system consists of a 722K w/ OTA module (owned), a 211k w/OTA (leased), and the original 211 w/OTA (owned). Both 211’s have external hard drives attached to them so they can be used as DVR’s. Believe it or not but there are a couple of nights that we use all four of the receivers on the 722K to record shows we watch while also recording a couple of shows on the bedroom 211K that we watch in bed every evening. There are nights that we are recording 3 shows off of the satellite (2 on the 722K and 1 on the 211K) while also recording 2 shows off of the OTA tuner (722K).

If we move to the Hopper/Joey setup, it sounds like we’d need 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey to give us the recording capability we have to day. Not only will my monthly equipment charge go up, but my upfront cost is going to be $99 for the first Hopper and another $199 for the 2nd Hopper. Until they integrate the Hoppers, the recording functionality won’t be any different than what I have today. I think another upfront cost most of you also forgot to include is the cost to send your currently leased equipment back. I’m not current on that cost, but I’m sure Dish isn’t going to do free shipping unless the installer picks it up when they do the install.

A whole house system with the newest technology would be nice but I can’t justify in my head (or to my wife) going out and spending $300 for new equipment that’s not going to give me any more recording capability then I have today, plus a higher monthly equipment charge. Maybe when my current equipment dies, I'll consider it, but for now, sorry Dish.

My system (out of contract) is similar to yours and I agree with you, I will not be ordering any hopper/joey equipment any time soon. I would strongly consider D if they offered my local channels.

I believe the reason they are not allowing VIP receivers on hopper accounts has to do keeping things simple for them. It's easier to keep track of that customers equipment.

We all know the capability to do it is there. Dish is actually letting only showroom accounts to have a hopper and one VIP receiver to demo to customers.

Scherrman said:
I believe the reason they are not allowing VIP receivers on hopper accounts has to do keeping things simple for them. It's easier to keep track of that customers equipment.
(groan) Makes sense to me. (Sound of old man wretching)

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using SatelliteGuys

Exactly, none of us have threatened to switch. However, maybe if enough people "complain" about the issue then maybe Dish might rethink their stance or figure out a way to meet us in the middle. The simple fact that the installation instructions have the setup as an option (VIP/Hopper/Joey) means that Dish is capable of making it work. Dish reads the threads so if it takes some complaints to get them to change then I think it is worth it, along with others, to write their opinions. In fact maybe we should start a poll, so that Dish may see clearly how unhappy we all are that we should pay them double just to use a receiver occasionally or a few times a year.

I enjoy Dish, but I like others, aren't willing to take the plunge and lose a VIP or two. Sure they use stacking as the reason, but it doesn't add up and sounds like another opportunity for Dish to make another profit off of loyal subscribers. Hopefully, Dish is listening...

Respectfully,
Josh D.

YES. DISH does read what we write. So if 100 people have this problem, 100 people should let DISH know. Message boards are like Festivus - for the Airing of Grievances (but not Feats of Strength)!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)