Sound Off: DishHD "Premium Pricing" Must Go...

Jay,

I agree with what your saying... Unfortunately Dish is not doing that (I thought they were) but now they are selling Pre Paid systems with 3900 receivers!

How dumb do pre paid with something 8PSK compatable at least!

Hmmm, I gave that some thought while driving the kids around. The way I see it, Dish had a pile of these things sitting in the warehouse and were going to have to write them off anyway. This is a way to get them off their hands and get some customer action going at next to nothing cost. The good news is that this is a very short term commitment as a prepaid service probably won't last very long. As they convert to "real" subscribers, they get updated to newer hardware.

Totally agree!! My 18 months are up in March, if something doesn't change by then it's bye-bye Dish and hello cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be nice if the HDTV/MPEG4 chipsets were so inexpensive that Dish would drop all of the SD receivers right now. All new customers and upgrades would be either 211s, 222s or 622s. If people have SDTVs then let them use the SD outputs of those receivers.

But as I'm sure there is still at least $50-$100 of additional manufacturing expenses, E* is not going to absorb that kind of cost.....

They can pay the extra bit now, or pay even more later. I think it'll be cheaper to start phasing them in now and have fewer STBs to ship back and forth later. Hopefully, in 2007 Dish will start doing this, and non-MPEG-4 receivers will be a thing of the past.

Not everyone will want to upgrade to a HDTV or buy new HD equipment, these will be the ones who want SD versions.

For me or you we want HD, for Ma and Pa Kettle, they want to see Willard Scott in the morning on their old Phillco B&W site from 1948. :)

Me, I want to see MA and Pa kettle on a HD channel sharp and clear even if 4:3 resolution. I have seen some movies on Monsters HD that were from the 30's and despite being B&W they were the best I've ever seen or heard those movies sound and look.

I'd love to have that old Philco, the one that had the Picture tube mounted over the rest of the Set. Sorry I'm drawing a blank on what it was called. I'd like an Edsel or Studebaker Hawk GT or Avanti for the daily commute. :)

I just dropped Dish totally after being with them since Feb 96. I have a 921 and an 811 and had Voom, DishHD pack, HBO & Showtime + locals and that's it. My bill was a whopping $65/month so I decided to drop HBO/Showtime and my bill only went down to $39. I called Dish and asked them what was up with my bill as Voom is only $5/month and the DishHD pack is only $10 and locals are $6. All the extra fees they charge took my bill to $39. They offered to waive 2 fees for 12 months but I refused and cancelled everything as I rarely watch TV anymore, it's just a wast of time & money for me. Bye Bye Dish, until you revamp your fees policy, I will never have your programming again, I am quite content with 8 HD OTA channels, thank you. (Free, BTW).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)