Source for 24" Thomson Saginaw

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jnastasi

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Louisiana
Does anyone know of a good place to buy a 24" Thomson Saginaw (Danaher Motion) actuator? Been looking around for a reasonably priced 7822260 and not having a lot of success.

John

Alright guys ... apparently there's a Thomson Saginaw sold by Patriot Antenna Systems and/or Venture Manufacturing (Part # TS-24BRL) ... as well as a Thomson Saginaw that's sold by Danaher Motion (Part # 7822260).

Does anyone know the difference between these two products?

I did some basic research after your first post.
I found your unit for somewhere in the $400 range :eek:, and lost interest. ;)

I see they make 24" and 36" units, as well as reed- or Hall- sensor types.
They may have various numbers of counts per inch in different models.
I'd think you'd be looking for 36 or 48.... ?

The one thing you're getting with that brand, is the recirculating ball as opposed to the common plastic AJAX screw (?)
So know the difference, and if you're paying for the best, make sure you get it!

i don't want to deter you from your search Thompson Sagnaw actuators used to be the premium that was on the market they were very well built. I also think they were considered Heavy duty but of course some of the dishes back there were very heavy. i don't know if you can find that same quality anymore. but i'm not sure the average c-band user needs a heavy duty actuator unless moving a heavy dish a large dish or has bad weather a lot. but that MY opinion. I like the HD actuator that superjack & motech put out just fine and would order more if needed.

one person here has a listing in the classifieds about some actuators you can e-mail / pm him if needed and see if he still has them . I'm planning on talking to him and maybe get one :)

Anole said:
The one thing you're getting with that brand, is the recirculating ball as opposed to the common plastic AJAX screw (?)
So know the difference, and if you're paying for the best, make sure you get it!

don't know which ones were plastic
my old von weise has a metal ajax screw with a nylon bushing (this is the part that usually goes bad) but mine has been up and out in the weather with little trouble since 1990. ( but the von veise does have plastic gears in the motor) I haven't had my superjack actuator apart in a while but i also beleive its metal ajaks screw

I should have simply said a nylon or other plastic nut, on the metal AJAX screw.
(if that it the correct name for it)

Thanks guys. This particular part is for a 12 foot fiberglass, so I'm concerned that anything less than a 24" ball screw is going to struggle with the setup.

The Thomson Saginaw that Patriot (and several others) currently sell as the TS-24BRL looks suspiciously like a Venture Maxi 24" ball screw.

The Thomson Saginaw that Danaher Motion sells as the 7822260 is more expensive (around $400) but, if their catalog product shots are any indication, seems to have a much better motor drive on it. I mean, their actuators look far better than anything made by Venture ... and actually resemble the Saginaw that we all remember.

I wouldn't mind investing in the latter if I knew for certain I was going to end up with the genuine article. I'd just hate to pay a premium, then end up with a rebadged Venture Maxi.

Appreciate anyone chiming in who may know what's going on with these companies ... or who can solve the great mystery :)

Thanks for the heads up on the classified listing -- will check it out.

John

I have an old Saginaw which died after 19.5 years a few months ago. I replaced it with a Motech. I still am going to fix the Sag as a backup needs new brushes. Honestly the Motech acme screw don't have the end play the ball screw had and is more accurate so Im happy with it and it moves my 12 foot fine even with 40 below wind chills a bit back.

Thanks tvropro. I checked out the Motech, and was real tempted to give it a shot, but ended up going with a ball screw. Switching out a $100 Skyvision jack I'm probably overcompensating a little :) ... but I figure based upon your exp and that of others, it should last a really long time.

It took me a while, but I finally tracked down where to buy the genuine Thomson Saginaw ... as opposed to the knock off that so many web sites seem to be selling. You can still get them ... they're just more expensive, and apparently harder to come by these days.

I'm learning real fast what's killing C-Band. You just can't get the parts anymore. :(

John

. . . and will someone please slap me next time I say AJAX when I should say ACME?
Thank you. - :D

After all it was ACME products the Wolf used to order in all those old Roadrunner cartoons, wasn't it?

Not to be confused with the big H-H motorized mount called an: AJAK. - :rolleyes:
Too bad they didn't stay in business. By now, I'm sure they'd have come up with the: B-jack.

I got a Venture jack a few months back from here:
rickssatellitedishmovers
look near the bottom of the page
the one I got was the one that supports a 1500 pound load

Thanks voomvoom. I had actually narrowed it down to that one, the Skyvison version (Ultra Power 24"), or the Thomson/Danaher unit. Dad elected to go ahead and spend a little more ... try out the latter.

I'll have to report back and post a photo once we actually get it in and mounted. I'm curious if this thing will live up to it's reputation.

I have a 24 Saginaw for 15 years a few months i replaced the gears in the motor working fine now.

I use a venture 36" on one dish and a superjack harl HQ 36" on the other dish.
Both work great and i put a heat tape on them for winter to keep the lube warmer for faster and easier movement.

I have a 24 Saginaw for 15 years a few months i replaced the gears in the motor working fine now.

That's good to hear DK_Sat.

I think I read the other day that they used to use these things to control wing flaps on the B-29. Unbelievable. :)

I use a venture 36" on one dish and a superjack harl HQ 36" on the other dish.
Both work great and i put a heat tape on them for winter to keep the lube warmer for faster and easier movement.

truckracer those 36" units must not even break a sweat :)

I had thought it might have been wise to go with a 36", since they're not much more than what you're already paying for the 24", but was a little apprehensive about the stroke length.

Back in the day we used to always worry whenever we went for that satellite out on the end that had Nasa TV. I don't recall now which bird that was. You always held your breath thinking the dish was ready to fall off the pole at any time.

By the way ... the "bring it back from the dead" project is moving ahead. I took a cue from several of you here in the forums (past posts) and ordered a Norsat 8115 / 4106a last night from Sat Eng to replace the low end Skyvision Cal Amp which appears to be toast.

All that remains is to replace the Chaparral Polarotor and we should be in business.

Most of the old Fiber sats I have looked at in old timers yards/fields down my way have HTS (Houston Tracker Systems) actuator arms on them... Not sure what type gear system they used, but it was a standard back in the heyday for sure.

Nate

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts