south florida OTA hi-def

John Walsh said:
I am just north of you John in Coral Springs. I have an antenna in my attic that was built in the house back around 1981 and it works just fine. It is very directional though. Almost all of the stations have towers very near the Dolphins Stadium right on the county line. I pick up all the networks with signals in the 90's. If you need help I can probably lend you a hand but it will have to wait about a week.

Thanks - I had HR10-250 and a Directv supplied antenna installed last Friday. I called Directv after installation to tell them I'm not receiving Ch 7 and 10 ( fox / ABC ) They insist on sending another tech. tomorrow to try to adjust it ? i told them the antenna is a UHF and FOX / ABC are VHF but they still want to adjust it. I cant believe I'm the only Directv sub in south Florida that has had this problem, but they acted very surprised that i don't receive them. I told them i need a multidirectional UHF/VHF antenna per Antennaweb.com. they even told me to check the winguard antenna web site & that's the only one they use but the antenna they supplied is not a winguard.:cool:

Does anyone know what channel 7 and 10 put out for power on their vhf digital transmitters in Miami? Is it worth trying to receive from 60 miles down in the Keys? I can't get anything but have a CM7777 with a vhf input that I have not used. If anybody has a web site to give frequency and power, I would like to see it.

Thanks Rick. From that chart channel 10 is 316 KW analog and 15.8 KW digital ERP so where Key Largo is would be close to that power. I think that Winegard would work for the analog power but probably would have trouble with the digital channel being only 5% as strong. Appreciate the help.

Has anybody in the Miami area had any luck getting the 7 and 10 low powered VHF digital channels from 60 miles out?

Which antenna do you have again? My uncle in West Palm Beach does, you need an antenna with a good VHF gain value; try:

Winegard HD 8200P (he uses this one)
Channel Master CM 3671
Winegard PR 7052

I haven't gotten a VHF antanna yet because with the low 16KW at 60 miles didn't think it would stand a chance in the attic. If anyone has had any luck I will give it a try. 316KW analog versus 16KW digital at same frequency range seems like little chance of success. Rick suggested one that would fit for channels 7-13 that would fit in the attic area but don't know if it would work with that low power. Their antenna ERP lobe gives us the highest power our direction.

SOUTH FLORIDA ota ANTENNAS ???

Anybody down in South Florida getting both West Palm & Miami networks ? I'm in Ft. Lauderdale/Oakland Park and I'm going to get a OTA antenna, but would like to get both area networks ? I'm replacing the Directv supplied antenna ( it only gets UHF ) and not currently getting ABC & FOX ( VHF ). How are those round antennas ? I've seen a few around. thanks - :confused:

johnml said:
Anybody down in South Florida getting both West Palm & Miami networks ? I'm in Ft. Lauderdale/Oakland Park and I'm going to get a OTA antenna, but would like to get both area networks ? I'm replacing the Directv supplied antenna ( it only gets UHF ) and not currently getting ABC & FOX ( VHF ). How are those round antennas ? I've seen a few around. thanks - :confused:
go to ..www,antennaweb.org and follow the instructions on how to detrmine the type of antenna required for the services you desire......get a good compass.

rabbit ears

im in plantation..i get miami/ft lauderdale and wpb with $7.88 RCA rabbit ears from WAL-MART. lucky me;)

I live in Homestead. Approx. 35 miles from the antenna farm. I took my old antenna out of the attic to mount outside (biggest Radio Shack not sure of the Model). I receive the UHF signals beautifuly. I cannot pick up the VHF however. I have an unobstructed view of the aim line approx 30 deg. I used new coax but the TV still tells me no signal on chanels 8 and 9 (wsvn and wplg). Various websites say they are transmitting their signals at significantly lower power than the other stations. Is there any way to overcome this or do I just have to wait for them to increase their signal strength.

Is your antenna a UHF/VHF ? the antenna Directv supplied me did not get ch.7-10 because they are VHF. As soon as I replaced it, I get everything. I live in Oakland Park ( about 16 miles from the farm ) :hatsoff:

There are some locations were there is VHF Low & VHF High and UHF; knowing what exactly you need versus what you really had installed means the world.

Last edited:
I know you some of you have been having trouble recieving VHF station WSVN and WPLG like I have. For what it's worth, just notice that WSVN 7.1 has applied to increase power from 14.4K to 145K and WPLG 10.1 from 15.8K to 30K. This should help. Hang in there.

Hi, I live in Delray Beach, FL (33444) and Directv. The OTA antenna that Directv installed does not do a good job of picking up the major HDs that I want (NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox). Any suggestion on what type of antenna I need?
Also, does anybody know of any good installers in the area? I'm lazy, have a very high roof, and want to integrate the antenna into my Directv system.

Thanks!

Well if it were me I would change my service zip to a close Miami/Fort Lauderdale location if you can (like just inside Broward) and get those affiliates via the dish in HD AND add a simple OTA antenna aimed correctly to get your "actual local" affiliates in the West Palm Beach DMA with maybe one of these antennas:

Channel Master CM 3679

Terrestrial Digital V15

Attachments

• WPB.jpg
    WPB.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Get a good outdoor antenna. the one Directv supplies is only UHF. To get Miami you will need a UHV/VHF. I didnt have much luck with indoor antennas, Although the outdoor antenna doesnt look good it does pick up all the channels without a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)