South Florida Voom Zone!!!

Whats up people? I live in Aventura and have had VOOM for about a month now. Overall, Im pleased with the service as I came into it knowing that we'd take some bumps with VOOM while in its infancy. Nobody else comes close though with regard to the amount of HD programming offered. I chose not to have Their OTA installed, instead opting for a $40 indoor antenna from Circuit City. I've had great luck with it and receive channels 2,4,6,7,10, 39 and 69. The only ones I dont pick up are 17 and 33. I had a couple of weeks with really bad rain fade and constant pixelation but it has since vastly improved. Nonetheless, they are still coming out Monday to install a dish that is supposed to be much better with rain fade. Thats all Ive got for now. Im happy to have found this forum.

Raisin' Cane not only am I happy to see another Voomer, but another CANE FAN! Let me give you MY Voom timeline:

May Voom is installed:

- CHannels were all messed up, but when I tuned to HDNEWS I nearly drooled on myself.

- A week later the channel mapping errors was fixed mostly (bad LNB) tuned to DiscoveryHD and WorldSport, drooling commenced.

- Late June I caught my first baseball game in HD, I nearly passed out.

- This month - NFL in HD for the first time, my wife had to revive me.

Can't wait for canes in HD! Subscribed way back when to VaVaVoom and completely love it. I used to spend $70-100 dollars before on Digital Cable (with internet) and D* in my lifetime but I always felt those subs were a luxury and didn't really get me to watch more TV, mostly channels went unwatched as I only watched TV for sports and news (movies bought/rented on DVD). Voom's HDTV lineup has made me real happy, and I do spend my time watching the tube.

Go Canes

Hey Dvlos - Ive gone out to watch a couple of their practices in the last ten days and I can tell that this is the fastest team I have ever seen!!!! Do you know if the Miami-FSU game is going to be broadcast in HD by ABC? I have my season tix but I might actually stay home for a game or two just for the HD. It might sound crazy but thats how good my picture is. How have you fared throughout the summer with rain fade in Miami? As I said, I'm getting the new dish installed on Monday and it is supposed to substantially improve the rain fade issue. Is it true that this dish is much larger than the current one? I dont really care though as long as I get less rain fade and my signal strength remains at around 92-96.

I'm supposed to get a 24" dish tomorrow I get rain fade with 2 drops of water sometimes or just clouds in the sky other times it takes a while then I lose total signal, hopefullly the 24" helps.

I read the Miami vs. FSU is supposed to be Nationally televised by ABC that usually means HD coverage but I didn't specifically see "HDTV" on there I'm 90% sure it will be in HD for such a major rivalry. I wasn't able to catch a home game last year, and before that I lived in Orlando for 2 - it sucks there because all they want to show is gay Gator games. I was like the only guy walking around in orange and green during college season.

THe upgrade dish that EVERYONE will get is a nice big 36" elliptical (not circle) dish, but for now the 24" should be nice. I'm going to buy tickets for some of the games though, but I definately ain't getting season tix (budget reasons), we just got too many teams to see. Marlins! Fins! Canes! Panthers! and this year's Miami Heat will not dissappoint.

I can tell you that the Marlins Vs St. Lous in HD at the PRo was AWESOME it definately felt like "you were there".

I'm all about the Canes & the Heat. Not really a fan of the Phins or baseball in general. Im glad Im not a phins fan too cause ya'll must have ulcers the size of Mount Olympus by now. They always seem to let their fans down in a bad way.Granted, this year is already a let down and its not even their fault. I just can not wait fro football season. My wife is really taking advantage of me these next two weeks, cause she loses me on weekends til December after that. :)

I'm also hoping too that the 24" dish helps with the rain fade here as well.

GO CANES !

Man how can you not be a Phins fan, I grew up on Dan Marino football practically. Watch man the Phins already are counted out and no one expects them to do ANYTHING, that's when our Miami teams are most dangerous... look at the Marlins!

ABC will air FSU against UofM at 8pm.. that's going to be a tremendous game and it is nationally broadcast so it has to be HD.

Im just not a big fan of pro sports. Much prefer the college game. I am in a fantasy football league though and that is about the extent of my passion for the NFL. I too was a huge Marino fan, again though, just never a Dolfan.

Dvlos - has your rain fade problem diminished with the 24" dish. I got my 24" dish installed yesterday but am without voom for the past two hours due to rain fade. They're fixin to lose another customer!!!!!!!!

My 24" is great

I got a 24 inch due to the same rain fade problem. With the smaller dish I would get Rain fade if I said rain!! It's been two weeks and no rain fade, I lost my locals in a thunderstorm for a few seconds but I swithced to HDNews and it was clear. I watched my Dish reception dissapear when Charlie went by us but Voom stayed strong. I'm impressed. I keep hearing about this new giant dish that we're supposed to get, when are we suposed to get it and will it be becasue we're getting more HD soon :yes

Rasecane I haven't had my dish installed yet... let me call these nuts. I lost signal for a bit with that last storm you know what rasecane your dish may not be peaked (or pointed) perfectly.

Frances

Any chance of rain fade if Frances hits us this weekend??? :)
On another note, I've really been looking forward to the Miami-FSU game this coming Monday night. It is a shame that there is a good chance of postponement. On the bright side though, it looks like both teams have Saturday September 11th open.

Take down your dishes, and if you have a generator, and should a hurricane hit us, you'd be the first to have TV signals over cable most likely. My friend in Orlando still doesn't have cable signal from Charley.

After storm reports?

First, I hope that all VOOMers faired well in the storm. Although this isn't the best way to spend a three-day weekend I'm happy not to be hearing about fatalities and catastrophic happenings.

I live in Weston and during the storm I kept satellite most of the time (surprising) and, of course, the locals. Meanwhile cable had been going out early and often. This morning is another story. I can get channel 6, but not 4, 7 and 10. I reset the receiver, but no luck. When I check the signal strength on those channels it is zero. I looked at my dish and antenna setup and all looks good and the connections all seem tight. :) I guess I'll give VOOM tech support a call and see if they can resend them to me.

I'd like to hear how others faired during this hurricane. Frankly I'm surprised at how well I kept signal considering how often I lose it during thunderstorms.

LMT

lmtorres, don't bother calling Voom. It's not caused by them. Read my other comments on the main voom forum. Channel 4 told me they shut off their digital OTA feed to save generator power. I'm assuming 7 and 10 did the same thing, but I don't really know since when I called them, even their engineers were completely unaware that they even had a digital OTA feed. They are pretty much useless. Channel 7 especially...I asked them if they shut off their OTA digital feed because I was getting zero signal...they told me to call my cable company (before even confirming whether or not I even subscribed to cable). Bunch of idiots.

Thanks for the info

You were right...the stations did come back on their own. Thanks for the follow up to my comment. Frankly, I was pretty pleased with the way VOOM performed during the storm (although periodic heavy rain did cause temporary drop-offs).

Still VOOMING and loving it.

LMT

Post Frances Voom'in...

I "folded down" my dish the day before Frances got here because it sticks up, unprotected from wind ( I also have cable & Directv which is mounted to the house wall, well protected, so I did have alternate programming ) BUT, I just
reattached my Voom Dish to "exactly" where it was before and am not getting a signal... (red satalite). Call Voom and they are sending someone out (Wednesday, after Ivan)... I still don't think its positioning,,,, it "may" be 1/16 of an inch off, if that... they said many customers here in S.Florida had same problem....??? Any feedback out there....????

What does your satellite signal quality says on the VOOM system settings? Are you sure that you got the correct angle of elevation?

WTVJ 6 NBC is Driving Me Crazy!

This is the second time in less than a week that the audio goes in and out and the picture goes from 16:9 to 4:3. I saw a post about Joey, and now teh same thing is happening with LAX. I called other Voomers and we are all seeing the same thing. Anybody know what is happening over at NBC? Seeing the same thing?

NBC consistently fudges up the HD here skakusha, I had the same thing and posted about it... somewhere either in NY or WTVJ was feeding 5.1 audio through 2.0 channels we lost the other audio channels for a while, they kept switching it back and forth from SD to HD like children before someone figured it out...

www.wtvj.com

Go to Contact NBC6 and send emails to the techops department, I've gotten used to it. Only because they screw up 1 out of every 2 HD broadcasts, and they can't seem to figure out for to go from SD commercials to HD show without a problem either. They need to steal some engineers from CBS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)