South Florida Voom Zone!!!

flipper2001 said:
Truqui,

It's on all stations, the first night after I got the firmware update watching CSI in a fast paced seen I noticed it. If you watch ANY fast paced action sequence, every 15 seconds their is a video stutter. Im in Pembroke Isles Btw.

OK I see what you mean...pixelation, right? With fast paced scenes or camera moves, the picture gets a bit pixelated...yep, I get that sometimes, especially with darker scenes.

Is this what your are referring to?

truqui said:
OK I see what you mean...pixelation, right? With fast paced scenes or camera moves, the picture gets a bit pixelated...yep, I get that sometimes, especially with darker scenes.

Is this what your are referring to?
Not really a pixelated, I see that too. Im talking about a VIDEO STUTTER, where the video drops a couple of I-Frames and then repeats a frame (trying to be technical). When you watch it, if your watching basketball, it will look like you froze the picture for a .6 of a second and this happens every 15 seconds (I counted). very strange problem. Are you using DVI for the input or comp?

flipper2001 said:
Not really a pixelated, I see that too. Im talking about a VIDEO STUTTER, where the video drops a couple of I-Frames and then repeats a frame (trying to be technical). When you watch it, if your watching basketball, it will look like you froze the picture for a .6 of a second and this happens every 15 seconds (I counted). very strange problem. Are you using DVI for the input or comp?

Yeah I've seen this...very rarely! But I always thought it was a signal glitch at the tower level because I've only seen it on OTA and only on Channel 6.1 (NBC Miami).
I don't know what to tell you. Why don't you post the question in the main forum. Maybe the experts can help you out?

Oh, and yes I am using the DVI connection...looks better than component on my display.

Good luck...

:) Happy New So Fla Voomer as of May 29!

So, I was tired of the limited hd programming on dtv and I decided to give voom a try. I have been reading through these threads ever since I put my order in a couple weeks ago, and I have to tell you that this forum has given me a lot of knowledge in everything voom. I have been reading about all the problems with installations and shortage of equipment. So, I was ready for a long process to get everything right. This is why I waited till now to post, that way I could give it a few days to see if any of the problems many of you have noted appeared in my install.

Well, I am happy to say that the installers showed up right on time, had all of the equipment and were really knowledgable. They also install dtv and dishnet and they told me that 75% of their installs are now voom. My install was done in just over an hour and a half with a two room setup. I am getting 98 signal strength on my dish and I am getting every local station including some from west palm, I am located in west pembroke pines. They said they needed to use the diplexors for the amplified antenna after I asked about running them separately. I figured that if it did not work right they could switch it after. But, everything has worked flawlessly so far. I still have my dtv stuff setup, but I think all of that is history now that I have seen the light that is voom.

I could not be any happier. I just love the fact that I can almost always find something that I want to watch in hd. I am so happy I decided to switch. Thanks for all your info everyone from a very happy new voomer.

nomad...Welcome to the HD hot ticket. Now know how we all feel about voom HD...!!!

Glad to hear your install went well. Where are you in West Pembroke? I'm in Sunset Lakes (West Miramar) and have West Palm stations mapped but not signal on them. I'm thinking if I turn my OTA antenna slightly toward the north I might be able to get them. Is your OTA antenna pointing SE, East or NE?

harveystern said:
hi im in the miami area have you had any rain fade yet? harvey

Can't say that I have because it hasn't really rained since I had mine installed in March...

Have you?

nomad,

I also want to extend a welcome to the So Fla Voom Zone and to the wonderful world of Voom.

Just like truqui, I'm also in West Miramar (Silver Shores) and I can't tune any WPB channels. So I'm also curious as to which direction your OTA is pointing.

harveystern said:
hi im in the miami area have you had any rain fade yet? harvey

I'm in Fort Lauderdale/Plantation area and the day after my Voom install in March we had a weekend of storms. I am glad to say that besides some fuzziness in PQ, I had no ill effects due to the rain. I was expecting the worst from all of the posts I have read on other forums, but was pleasantly surprised with the Voom signal.

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm in Chapel Trail. My antenna is turned almost completely east. Also, my dish is mounted right next to my antenna within 5-6 feet. I had read that that might cause some problems, but so far it is perfect. There has not been any rain since I had everything installed, so I can't say whether or not I will get any rain fade.

nomad said:
Thanks for the welcome.

I'm in Chapel Trail. My antenna is turned almost completely east. Also, my dish is mounted right next to my antenna within 5-6 feet. I had read that that might cause some problems, but so far it is perfect. There has not been any rain since I had everything installed, so I can't say whether or not I will get any rain fade.

Yup...that's what I thought...East!
Vlad, I gues we have to try turning ours a bit due east...I'm going to try this weekend and post if it works.
You see Vlad...we will be seeing more voom dishes in the neighborhood after all...!!!

Nomad...again, enjoy your new toy!

Debating about voom...Coral Springs

Hi fellow So. Floridians..

I curently have Dish but im contemplating voom.
Just bought a 51 hi def Sony wide screen...

I just skeptical that voom might go bust...
But you sound real excitied about it...

In short, is it worth it??

Thanks,
Joel.........Coral Springs, Fla :cool:

truqui said:
Great...let us know how it goes!!!
If you currently are not getting DTV HD you will see that big difference with VOOM HD!!!

Read here http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=14090 I think it will help you understand 4x3 vs. 16x9
truqui,

Oh well... I was scheduled for install on June 5th and couldn't wait to get setup, but the night before the install company (Ontime Satellite) to tell me that VOOM was about a week behind in sending out equipment so I have to wait. I tried to push for another date, but they told me that they would call me when the equipment comes in and then we could reschedule to install. I see that this has also happened to others in this forum so I'm not crazy over it.

I did push a bit though on the HD Antenna because of my concern about my HOA. The person told me that the antenna is mounted near the dish and is not that obvious. I guess I'll have to wait and see what they arrive with.

I also checked out the back of my set and while I don't have a DVI hookup I do have Component hookups available. I forgot to ask them if they bring all the cables for the hookup to component. I should call them back to see if they do and also if they bring the audio cables.

I'll post back here when I get this puppy up and running.

LMT

Just had my Voom installed (Davie, FL) and have had several glitches, at first I thought it was associated with my receiver's firmware 5.08, now that they've both updated I still have the same channel mapping errors on both receivers. Now I'm starting to think that while the installer is a nice guy, he may not know what he's doing.

In any case it's been aggravating in the sense that I've wanted to see specific channels and the receivers don't find them, I'll sometimes scan up or down and will find them other times it seems that the channel I want doesn't exist (Specifically Discovery HD Theatre and ESPN HD - OH NO NOT ESPN!)

On the bright side, this system kicks major amounts of butt with the HD channel offerings (and looks like more to come!). I was watching NBA games prior to this on cable, when Voom came in I watched the NBA game on ABC, my god how sweet. As to remind me how horrible STD channels are the commercials come in STD and the game comes in HDTV. The constant switching was making naueseous and elated at the same time.

I only wish that Voom's cinema10 had more "new" movies, granted I know that's what HBO/Cinemax is for. However my personal opinion is that those 10-hdtv sattellite slots could be better utilized. Like I like Monsters - Gunslingers, that's specialized channels. 2 channels dedicated to Nostalgia would be great. A Sci-FI HDTV would be nice, maybe and other similiarly dedicated channels, hell I wouldn't even mind commercials if it would pay for MORE premium content...

... Although the Jason vs Freddy vs Leatherface vs Michael ads for Monsters looks too cool.

Just my 2 cents, other than that I love the "potential" unfortunately the installer I had was from some place that has no idea which end is up... when he came in the second time my receiver had the numbers on the screen (getting an update) and he goes "What's that?!" I was like "oh god!"

Dvlos said:
In any case it's been aggravating in the sense that I've wanted to see specific channels and the receivers don't find them, I'll sometimes scan up or down and will find them other times it seems that the channel I want doesn't exist (Specifically Discovery HD Theatre and ESPN HD - OH NO NOT ESPN!)

Congrats on joining the Voom HD revolution...!!!

This is weird...if you get the rest of Voom Sat programming, you should be getting Discovery and ESPN HD...!!! As far as I know, these are not mapping issues, mapping errors are for the OTA portion of the package. I would call Voom and tell them to "hit" your box so that these channels come in...

Let us know how it goes!

lmtorres said:
truqui,

Oh well... I was scheduled for install on June 5th and couldn't wait to get setup, but the night before the install company (Ontime Satellite) to tell me that VOOM was about a week behind in sending out equipment so I have to wait. I tried to push for another date, but they told me that they would call me when the equipment comes in and then we could reschedule to install. I see that this has also happened to others in this forum so I'm not crazy over it.

I did push a bit though on the HD Antenna because of my concern about my HOA. The person told me that the antenna is mounted near the dish and is not that obvious. I guess I'll have to wait and see what they arrive with.

I also checked out the back of my set and while I don't have a DVI hookup I do have Component hookups available. I forgot to ask them if they bring all the cables for the hookup to component. I should call them back to see if they do and also if they bring the audio cables.

I'll post back here when I get this puppy up and running.

LMT

I don't think you will have any trouble with your HOA...the OTA antenna is smaller than the dish and less noticeble. If they let you install a dish then you won't have a problem.

Be patient...it's well worth the wait...!!!

lern4483 said:
Hi fellow So. Floridians..

I curently have Dish but im contemplating voom.
Just bought a 51 hi def Sony wide screen...

I just skeptical that voom might go bust...
But you sound real excitied about it...

In short, is it worth it??

Thanks,
Joel.........Coral Springs, Fla :cool:

Joel..are you currently getting HD through Dish? From what I have heard, Voom does a much better job than anyone to cater to the HD crowd...it's awesome quality and I am so spoiled...I just hate watching SD....

I wonder if I reverse the inputs in the diplexer if I'll get problems with my OTA and fix my Sat channels?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)