Spaceway 2 Launch thread - It's up!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Greg Bimson said:
That is strange. I always thought DirecTV 9S was a backup Ku-band DBS satellite, resembling DirecTV 4S and 7S.
-------
I was able to find a small blurb about the function of 9S at a sat. forum...it says:
DIRECTV 9S, scheduled for delivery in the late second quarter of 2005, is designed to operate from orbital locations at 101 degrees West longitude or 119 degrees West longitude. As a back-up for DIRECTV's 4S and 7S satellites, it will be capable of providing up to 54 transponders for high-quality local and national digital video service broadcast into 27 beams. In an alternate configuration, the satellite will be capable of providing up to 44 transponders broadcast into 30 beams.

The spacecraft is a version of SS/L’s space-proven LS-1300 satellite platform, which has an excellent record of reliable operation. The geostationary LS-1300 has a designed service life of 15 years and maintains station-keeping and orbital stability by using bipropellant propulsion and momentum-bias systems.

A system of high efficiency solar arrays and lightweight batteries provides uninterrupted electrical power.

moonman said:
Wonder why they need a KA bird @ 101 deg. given all the changes going on??

:confused:
TECHNOLOGY: DirecTV FCC Application Axed - The International Bureau at the Federal Communications Commission dismissed an application from DirecTV seeking authority to launch and operate a Ka-Band satellite, the future DirecTV 9S, at the 101-degree orbital location. The dismissal was based on technical issues. The bureau added that the company can re-file an improved application concerning the satellite.

Whats the source of this ? links ?

From what I understand from another thread the FCC wasn't happy they were using the term "replacement" when they were augmenting their exisiting capability in the oribital location. It's no big deal, DirecTV just has to ammend their paperwork.

moonman said:
Barneypoo69.....the release is not in the regular headlines....click on the
hot link at the top of the page that say's "Investor Relations", then drop
down to News, events and prestations, to find a list of recent press releases,
which are slanted toward financial stuff....

Thanks moonman.......

Barney

HMC by Motorola?

"The Home Media Center is expected to be out in late first quarter ..... supply will be somewhat short but DirecTV is very very happy with the supply numbers with Motorola."

OMG! Does this mean that Motorola will be building the HMC?!!! Every piece of Motorola satellite gear I have had has been a total piece of crap. This includes the BUD 4DTV reciever, the HD box for the 4DTV reciever, and the Voom reciever. They just CANNOT get it right and will probably screw up the HMC as well. DAMN!

I suppose they were the lowest bidder and DirecTV and thier users will pay the price. I would strongly reccommend not being an early adopter for the HMC if indeed it is Motorola Harware.

CCDMAN said:
OMG! Does this mean that Motorola will be building the HMC?!!! Every piece of Motorola satellite gear I have had has been a total piece of crap. This includes the BUD 4DTV reciever, the HD box for the 4DTV reciever, and the Voom reciever. They just CANNOT get it right and will probably screw up the HMC as well. DAMN!
The 4DTV receiver and the HDD-200 High Def box, you mentioned above, were not designed by Motorola. They both were originally designed and built by General Instruments, who sold out to Motorola.

I kinda miss by BUD.

CCDMAN said:
Minus a couple bad firmware updates, my three VOOM receivers worked perfect for about a year...and my Motorola cell phone (work) hasn't been turned off or missed a beat in 3 1/2 years.

Did Motorola also buy the firm that was supposed to build Voom's whole-house DVR system?

Tonedeaf said:
Any news on the testing of the sat? Will Boeing be handing off soon?

According to lyngsat.com it's not even in geostationary orbit yet.

Chip

Jason,

Typically it is released to D* 4-8 weeks after launch, tho Spaceway F1 took 4 months. Might have been because it was the first of that configuration.

Cheers,
Tom

Orbit

The transfer orbit used to achieve geostationary orbit usually takes around 100 days. During that time, solar panels and antennas are commonly deployed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)