Spaceway 2 Launch thread - It's up!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I am well aware of how extraordinarily complex making a space launch is, and the need to be as sure as possible when actually making it happen.

My question is from the standpoint of an investor in DirectTV (which I'm not currently.) At some point, it becomes financially irresponsible to depend on an agency that cannot do it's job. That may be because of things outside of their control, or because of their own incompetence, but either way, the continued delays cost DirectTV revenue, or at least, revenue potential.

kwhittenberger said:
My question is from the standpoint of an investor in DirectTV (which I'm not currently.) At some point, it becomes financially irresponsible to depend on an agency that cannot do it's job. That may be because of things outside of their control, or because of their own incompetence, but either way, the continued delays cost DirectTV revenue, or at least, revenue potential.

Arianespace has only delayed the launch a few days. It was some problem in Oribital's satellite that caused the major delay this summer and that is a calculated risk in flying on Ariane V with is dual satellite launches.

Supposedly the A V would have flown before any other available slot - if it flew on time.

Ariane IV was a great rocket, but not so much for V. Atlas has the longest success streak right now, but I am I would guess it is not low cost provider. Sea Launch and Proton are other options.

To jump rockets at this time would probably take 4 months before the next slot available - and that is pushing it a little bit.

They maybe should have jumped at the first big delay, but it would not have bought them much time (so far).

This crap is part of the high stakes game satellite providers play. Don't count your satellites before they are on orbit and checked out, even if the launch is successful (see Echostar IV). They could crap out and any time and if you don't have a replacement on orbit, it could take many, many months to get back to where you started. But SW1 & SW2 can provide HD locals for most of the country. Comcast will spend a lot more money (but in much smaller chunks) and just cover areas it already serves.

raymo721 said:
The Ariane 5-ECA has flown successfully only once before, in February 2005.

Its maiden flight in 2002 ended in disaster, when the rocket had to be destroyed as it veered off course over the Atlantic Ocean.

OMG. Id hate to pay that insurance premium.

hdtvtechno said:
Anyone remember what launch provider launched Directv's Satellite safely without any problems and on time without any delays in the past ?
sea launch

Arianespace has only delayed the launch a few days.

I think the rescheduling has been postponed for a few days. I have a feeling this launch will be delayed for at least a month if not months. Best possible outlook is weeks, in my opininon.

I'd take the CEO's confidence with a small grain of salt, but that aside, I say she's up by Thanksgiving.

rad said:
Turkey's don't fly ;)
Neither does Arrianespace !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SeaLaunch is an awesome enterprise and they are based in Long Beach,CA!! Sea Launch is a limited liability corporation with Headquarters and Home Port facilities in Long Beach, Calif. The company is owned by Boeing of Seattle, Wash. (40%); RSC-Energia of Moscow, Russia (25%); Kvaerner ASA of Oslo, Norway (20%); and SDO Yuzhnoye/PO Yuzhmash of Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine (15%). Financing for the venture is provided by these companies and through debt financing arranged by Chase Manhattan Bank in New York.

Damn Directv for using the FROGS in the first place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rad said:
Turkey's don't fly ;)

Not true. Turkeys DO fly. They ususally only go a few feet at a time. I once had a Tom fly across the entire width of a road at a height of about 10 or so feet. They dont sustain flight but they can get off the ground unlike this damn satellite in the hands of Arianespace fakers.

Smthkd said:
Out of "Pure Curiosity", Why are so many people angry against the French!? I did I miss something?
It goes back a long long way. Most recently, because of their behavior leading up to the 2003 Iraq War. But it also goes back to WWII and before.

If we're lucky, the Frogs will just surrender and give the job to someone more qualified.

Brewer4 said:
Not true. Turkeys DO fly. They ususally only go a few feet at a time. I once had a Tom fly across the entire width of a road at a height of about 10 or so feet. They dont sustain flight but they can get off the ground unlike this damn satellite in the hands of Arianespace fakers.

I've seen turkeys fly over 200 yards at a time... Maybe we should give the satellite to a turkey and have him fly it up instead of this French outfit. 200 yards is a lot closer to orbit than they've been able to get it. :p

mdonnelly said:
The lift-off of an Ariane-5 ECA launcher with two telecommunications satellites, which was delayed overnight Saturday due to a technical problem, will "probably" take place in two or three days, the European group Arianespace said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051113/sc_afp/europespaceus;_ylt=AvwfNHCOcSmkSISAsZkbnskPLBIF;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

Careful - this could be a "journalist" interpreting the press release, which actually states that "will be rescheduled in the coming days."

Then again, it could just be Frenglish. :D

smackman said:
I've seen turkeys fly over 200 yards at a time... Maybe we should give the satellite to a turkey and have him fly it up instead of this French outfit. 200 yards is a lot closer to orbit than they've been able to get it. :p

Hehehehehehe :p

Not a bad idea!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)