Speaker/Receiver Recommendations

jstexas

Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Can anyone provide some insight:

I'm looking to get a 5.1 speaker system that also performs well with music. Does anyone have suggestions? I don't want to spend more than $500-600.

Also, anyone with A/V receiver suggestions would be helpful. I would like a unit that can switch between three HDMI sources and upconvert any others. I'd like to spend $500-600 here also.

If it matters I will be connecting these to a Mitsu 73'' DLP.

I will be using this setup for watching movies, HDTV, SDTV, and listening to music (hence the need for a 5.1 system that can handle music well).

Thanks.

I would look into the Yamaha and Onkyo lines of A/V receivers.

Speakers are a real need to hear in person kind of thing with YOUR own source material.

You room is different than mine, you music and movie needs may be different, you ears are likely tuned different.

Hmm. I would suggest:

Speakers: Yambeka Audio
Subwoofer: AV123 x-series or BIC America
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR605

(Yamaha also makes excellent receivers; I'm an admitted Onkyo fanboy)

But really, it's all about your needs.
I'm personally looking at the TX-SR505. I don't plan on using the HDMI switching or HD audio capabilities, so I can get away with spending less on the receiver.

Determine what your needs are (or might become) and go from there. If you're a basshead, trading some receiver dollars for a bigger sub may be a good idea. If you prefer bookshelf speakers to floorstanders, look at the AV123 x-series.

In that price range I'd look at Polk speakers and a Yamaha receiver.

Polk: Monitor or RM series
Yamaha: RX-V651

Thanks for the tips. Probably go with the Yambeka set after reading the review on this site and the SR705.

Is it difficult to add a sub to a HITB like the Yambeka and ensure the sounds mesh?

Subs are the easiest to match. Don't try matching any other speakers, but at the frequencies subs use, it's definitely possible.

I hate HTIB's so I can't comment on the Yambeka or whatever it is.

As a very small room, kids use or very budget minded maybe the Yambeka can be an option, but for the true H/T install (and this IS NOT an ego thing) these should be avoided for the best overall sound stage and reproduction. The set I heard are OK at best for the scenarios mentioned before, but no true top performer.

I have to agree with CHarper on this one. There are too many budget speakers of higher quality. Polk, JBL, BIC, HTD, etc.

Check out the JBL Arena Series on Amazon. Or, BIC. I think Crutchfield, which is usually an expensive vendor, has a sale on Polk right now.

I have to agree with CHarper on this one. There are too many budget speakers of higher quality. Polk, JBL, BIC, HTD, etc.

Check out the JBL Arena Series on Amazon. Or, BIC. I think Crutchfield, which is usually an expensive vendor, has a sale on Polk right now.

Oh yes, those JBL's are quite nice!

I can't seak for CHarper. But, I was a concert soundman for 20+ years. I've been around a speaker or two.
That does qualify you well to comment on speakers that you've heard (and your list of suggestions shows you know about budget speakers), but it still doesn't qualify you to comment on a speaker you've never heard...

One thing I've learned from evaluating speakers (on a purely amatuer basis) is to expect surprises. Respected companies cheap out, run-of-the-mill companies decide to upgrade their lines, and relative unknowns occasionally create gems (although they usually want a small fortune for them).

Yes two buds bought them and I helped run the wire/setup their A/V head units; they have since passed them on to their kids and one moved his set into his garage.

That does qualify you well to comment on speakers that you've heard (and your list of suggestions shows you know about budget speakers), but it still doesn't qualify you to comment on a speaker you've never heard...

One thing I've learned from evaluating speakers (on a purely amatuer basis) is to expect surprises. Respected companies cheap out, run-of-the-mill companies decide to upgrade their lines, and relative unknowns occasionally create gems (although they usually want a small fortune for them).
Quite frankly, I could tell by looking at the pictures in the review that they are simply not worth it, when there are so many good, budget speakers out there.

I don't have to hear them to see how they are made, and with that, know how they will last. Or, that the owner will soon outgrow them. I am familiar enough with speakers, and sound equipment in general, to know what to avoid.

And, the Yembekas are something to avoid, if one is looking for a speaker system to pair with a THX-certified receiver like the Onkyo TX-SR705. OTOH, if one is looking for a set to pair with a $300 receiver, they might do the trick nicely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts