Special "box" to do a conversion

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RT-Cat

"My person-well trained"
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
Not 100% FTA question, but it is to convert an FTA signal.
The S9 has componet output Y, Pr, Pb. I have a Sony HD recorder that has two inputs. One is for OTA antenna. The other is for your cable connection(guess what, from the cable company). Both of these are standard "F" connectors. That is the ONLY way to get input to the Sony recorder.
Now does anyone know of a "box" that can take the Y, Pr, Pb and convert it to a 75 ohm output and maintain the HD quality of the signal? That way, I could plug it into the Sony and record HD broadcasts that were in HD. The only thing I can do at this time is to take the composite output from the S9, run it into an RF modulator and run coax out to the Sony OTA input. It works for SD, but no go the HD.
Any ideas?

The S9 will record if you plug in a hard drive.

To answer the original question, no, there are no ATSC modulators on the consumer market -- probably due the the copyright fascists, since there's an abundance of cheap ATSC tuners.

The S9 will record if you plug in a hard drive.

To answer the original question, no, there are no ATSC modulators on the consumer market -- probably due the the copyright fascists, since there's an abundance of cheap ATSC tuners.
And I think that is the reason the Sony only has the two "F" input connectors on it.:(

Too big a pita to set timer to record with S9 hard drive.(can be done, but....)
RT.

You can get a USB box to record HD from component outputs, but it's around $200. You can also get PCI cards to record from HDMI, but I think they're even more money.

Once upon a time, SatelliteAV hinted that their new receiver was going to be very cheap. Hopefully that's still true and we can get a replacement for the buggy Openbox series without spending twice the money for a Manhattan or a Pansat. (But will anyone want to buy a used Openbox? :( )

(I'd love to have one of the forthcoming AZboxes for the 4:2:2 and the networking, but I doubt they're going to be cheap, and they don't seem to be worried about whether they have blind scanning working.)

Oh, well, I was just making an attempt to use what I had. I am using the HD Sony recorder for SD stuff off the S9 because it has a good clock and can set timers that work. Just leave the S9 on overnight and let the Sony do its thing. If I really need to record something in HD, I'll just go back to the hard drive connected to the S9.

RT.

This may be of interest: The AVerMedia MTVUHDDVR is a digital video capture supporting H.264 hardware encoding for low CPU consumption. It can capture high definition digital video up to 1080i via component and analog video content via composite/s-video. - - - You can set-up and configure AVerScheduler to turn on your Set-top-box, chose desired channel and start recording at the scheduled time, automatically." I wonder if it's FTA STB compatable????
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100052&Tpk=AVerTV USB HD (disclaimer- I don't benefit by this post or the purchase of this product)

For HD recording, I use component cables through a Grex unit into my Panasonic DVD recorder. The Grex unit can be found here hxxp://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html I know DVD is not a hard disk, but I am too cheap to pop for a hard disk based DVR.

For HD recording, I use component cables through a Grex unit into my Panasonic DVD recorder. The Grex unit can be found here hxxp://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html I know DVD is not a hard disk, but I am too cheap to pop for a hard disk based DVR.
Interesting unit. But not the output I was looking for. The VERY expensive one listed above would work great, but too much $$$$$$.

RT.

I don't see anything that says that that unit will record HD from anything other than its tuner.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)